+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: What are your Hobbies?

What are your Hobbies?

I'm invited to a "Creative Salon" with my girlfriends this weekend and it's my second one...I can't wait!

This is what the e-vite says, "Any form of creativity -- art, music, theater,
    writing, comedy, crafts, photography, etc.--
    is welcome and encouraged.

Plan to share/present for 5-10 minutes.
    Let's be an enthusiastic audience for
    each other's creativity. :-D"

The first one I went to last year was so encouraging and just plain fun. Some women read their poems, the chef shared food, and the rest shared their things they create. We had a pot luck afterwards and it was nice to see so many people validated.

So, I was wondering, besides the OBVIOUS way that we creatively spend our non-work time (posting at FoRT), what hobbies and talents do you all have? And if you have photos of what you create and want to share them, even better!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    OHHHH, Lambi, I want to KNOW MORE about this salon idea. I would love to start one. I know a lot of people that would LOVE to do this idea and who have all kinds of different artistic talents.

My hobbies: My main one is I scrapbook. Have been doing it for 12 years. LOVE it, love looking at my photos of good times and I love creating with paper to make scrapbook pages. I also love rubber stamping. I am very much into paper crafts and love all kinds of beautiful printed papers to make things with.

I also sew and I am an AVID (Rabid reader-hey is there a book discussion thread here at the Fort?).

I also am a pretty decent chef and love, love, love to cook when I'm in the mood. When I'm not, I can make jar spagetti sauce suck.

I also used to do a lot of other craft type projects, but not so much anymore.

I would love to learn how to knit and do pottery (the wheel looks like so much fun) cake decorating and how to do that cool one stroke painting.

Oh and I also LOVE to throw theme parties where I get to plan and decorate for them. I used to have a party planning business and now I just do it for fun for my friends. Did a friend's daughter's party over the weekend with a Mardi Gras theme which turned out spectacular. 16 9 year olds LOVED it.

And I volunteer. Not so much as I used too, but am hoping to be able to do more soon. Very rewarding hobby, that volunteering.

Good thing I'm not currently working as it would seriously cut into my hobby time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'd have to say that at the moment, my main hobby is obssessing over ABC's "Lost". Watching each episode over and over, taking notes, pasting "Lost" articles into a scrapbook, chatting about it on the net, making spreadsheets to keep track of all my "Lost" info. Does that qualify as a hobby or more of a disease?

My more mainstream hobby is beading. Necklaces, bracelets, earrings, rings, keychains - whatever I can think of.

I also collect stuff. A lot of different things which I'm sure I've already listed in another thread.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I can't tell my hobbies online or in mixed company. but actually I guess you could consider my Dean Martin collection a hobby. How about my Dark Shadows collection? Is sitting at the computer still considered a hobby? What about my kids Mona & Joey.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    OHHHH, Lambi, I want to KNOW MORE about this salon idea. I would love to start one. I know a lot of people that would LOVE to do this idea and who have all kinds of different artistic talents.
    myrosiedog: It's quite simple, really: most of us either are talented in one area or another and know at least ONE friend who is, too. So, Amanda held the party, but before a date was set, she called out, via email, "Bring your self AND a friend who has a hobby" and showcase yourself." We then had time to find a friend and the first Salon ended up having over 40 women of every single color, age and background!

There were women who painted, did poetry, cooked, beaded, scrapbooked, wrote musical compositions, had paperweight collections...on and on. And here was this gentle, NO STRESS time, where you got your 15 minutes of fame to just talk about YOU...no partner, not work, no problems...just saying "This is ME and this is what I do."

We then had a great potluck and many wonderful connections were made. Some women got together as new friends, others ordered each others crafts (although selling things was NOT encouraged...it was NO pressure and we were not to bring ANY MONEY to buy stuff!).

So, I heartedly encourage you to do the same, myrosiedog; women have so few times when they can have the floor and just be appreciated for doing something for themselves.

Qboots: I wanted to add, Heck Yah! your LOST appreciation is a hobby! I was completely immerged in BuffyVille and spent hours writing fiction, collecting stuff, etc. So Yes!, your obsession is validated.

(I'll be back later to post about my hobbies. I'm trying to pare down the post to at least an hour's read. )
    Punkin likes this.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

That sounds like a fun party lambi.

Thought I would share.

I spend a lot of time working with textiles:

I knit and crochet. I actually go to a workshop everyweek and to an occassional knitting night at a local shop.

I've been sewing for several years and create my own patterns for all types of items. I love the mechanics of both flat pattern drafting and french pattern drafting as well as the process of constructing a garment or accessory. I also collect vintage fabrics which give me lots of inspiration. I was recently given a rigid heddle loom by my husband so I look forward to weaving my own fabric.

My favorite hobby (which I haven't had time to do for a while) is papermaking. I LOVE to make paper from all sorts of natural fibers and the kids love to help. I use anything from silk fabric scraps, maple leaves, onion skins, plants, etc. I also enjoy making natural dyes to color the paper. It is a very rewarding process.

Since we moved last week, my studio has been dissassembled.

MRD
    Lambi,
    That is SO cool. I would love to do that. I know quite a few talented women that would probably appreciate doing this too.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Qboots: your Lost hobby is a great one, where would the rest of us be without you and all your hard work. You keep us losties all straightened out and informed! hats off to you!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fanatic
    Autograph Junkie, have around 300+ in my collection. Really nice erray of people.

Neatest one I ever got back was a hand written letter from Joan Mondale.

Also am a huge movie buff, and runner. That's about it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    WOW...I'm so envious of some of the hobbies listed here...before my obsession with reality TV and the FORT took over I use to devour books (anything from romance novels to Stephen King to Left Behind series), cross stitch, photography and eBay. I love to collect cookbooks tho I'm not much of a cook. I want to scrapbook...I have bought supplies, books, etc..just never sat down and actually did any scrapping tho!!! I've also wanted to learn how to knit or crochet.

I'm one of those people who become obsessed with one hobby in particular and then everything else (hobby-wise) falls by the wayside....my reality TV obsession doesn't seem to be subsiding anytime soon... LOL....eBay fell to the wayside when I discovered FORT and message boards....now it seems like every other sentence out of my mouth is "On the message boards" or "I read on the message boards...".

And thank heavens for Qboot's obsession with Lost...I love reporting to my 12 yr old son what I have discovered reading on the boards!!! Your insight in GREATLY appreciated!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I think there's a thread called 'your artwork" or something like that around here somewhere; I posted some snaps of some of my gourd paintings and a painting on canvas there; also I really like photograpy...a little is posted at
    janicepictures.funtigo.com
    Let's see... I also like traveling to new places, mostly for the purpose of looking for wildlife and neat scenery to watch and photograph, and for fishing; I like fishing a lot, although it's not very "creative". Some of the things I cook with the fish are though! I do like baking and cooking in general, especially making up my own recipes.
    I was very into horse training/riding for years, but only do it occasionally any more since I sold my horses so I could see the world and take a break.
    I do still like to do things that go fast like roller coasters, inner tubes, or anything else I don't think I'm getting a little too old for. (Like, I'd like to bungee, but I'm afraid it would hurt instead of being fun!)
    I like looking for cool rocks, seashells, etc. if I'm anywhere there are any.
    I also like reading, mostly nonfiction like true crime, science, or adventure type stuff.
    I could probably go on and on, but this is enough for now!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast