+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: What are your Hobbies?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: What are your Hobbies?

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    My hobby is geocaching. Its like a high tech treasure hunt game. Someone hides a container with cheap trinkets and a log book. They mark the coords with their gps then post it on geocaching.com website. Then you get the coords and go find it. After you found it you sign the log book. If there is something in the container that you want you trade for it. It is an extremely fun game. And I heard about it from John who used to own this site. There was a thread called, "Geocaching anyone?"
    That sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like to try that sometime.
    CantGetNuf likes this.

I have slacked off on how much I do it but for about 5yrs it was all I focused on. I have met lots of wonderful people. Probably that became my favorite part of the game. The socializing with people. There are lots of events from getting together in a restaurant and talk about geocaching or meeting up as a group to go on a geocaching hike. It is a serious blast!
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I just visited the site. There are several geocaches very close to me. The next time my son and DIL are here - they like to hike - maybe I can get them to do it with me.
    CantGetNuf likes this.

I do a bit of knitting. I completed one sweater (it fits like an old sweatshirt ) that I wear all the time, and I started a second. I was making good progress on the second sweater when I put it up for the summer--I couldn't see me knitting with a big wool blob in my lap over summer. Somewhere along the line, I lost my pattern, so my new hobby became tearing the house apart to find it. That sucker is LOST! I've just started recreating the pattern, and IF I can figure out what row I'm on and how a couple of the motifs fit together vertically, I'll be good to go. I hope.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Newf, I bet your creation will turn out to be better than you originally planned!

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but no. I had envisioned a knitted dolphin motif for the front yoke, but I don't see that happening now--not because of the lost pattern, but because I never could get it to work out to my satisfaction. There are three flocks of sheep running around bald because of all the swatches I made trying to get it right. Also, I am up to the arm gussets (I started at the bottom and I'm knitting in the round) so I have very little room for changes.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

A few weeks ago, I posted pictures of potholders Iíve been making in the My Art thread. When I saw that we had a Hobby thread, I thought it might be more appropriate to post future pictures here.

Iím still working on potholders. Besides using the potholder loops you can buy, Iíve also been buying tights or legwarmers to cut up into loops and using crocheting to make loops and finish off the edges of potholders. I have a lot of pictures so Iíll have to split them into two posts.

Here are some recent potholders I made:

A co-worker asked me to make a potholder for him using the colors of the Pittsburgh Steelers (black and gold). I made three different ones and let him pick the one he wanted. Unfortunately, I didnít remember to take a picture of the one he chose but I have pictures of the other two.

I had to buy black and gold tights to make this potholder because the potholder loops donít come in gold.

A friend asked me to make a garnet and gold potholder for him (I live in Seminole territory, the football team that is!) so I made a couple. Iím not real happy with any of them so Iím working on crocheting one for him.

Hereís a picture of the garnet and gold loops Iím crocheting, plus a close-up to show the details better.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

My friend Wanda wanted a decorative potholder with butterflies and/or dragonflies on it. I bought some fabric confetti at Party City in different colors and Iím attaching them to the potholder. I still need to add flowers and butterflies to the central tail I might add a few more tails plus put more flowers on the potholder.

Here are some potholders where I crocheted all the loops.

And these are my most recent potholders, where Iíve crocheted the edges to finish them off.

These were made from St. Patricksí Day leg-warmers I bought at Party City. I crocheted a single row of edging around it.

The next two potholders have two rows of crocheting around them.

Iíve put all of my potholders in sandwich bags to keep them clean and keep them from getting snagged on things, and I added price tags so I can sell them to friends and co-workers. I might also sell potholders at Council of the Blind events and donate part of the proceeds to our chapter.

In addition to all these Iíve made, Iím crocheting placemats for my dad, Iím trying to start knitting again, and I want to buy a bead loom. Iíve been very, very busy crafting!

I tried looking up knitting/crochet groups to join in my city and I havenít found much. I found a listing for one but it appears itís no longer active.
    Punkin likes this.

Great job pikachu. I love the black and red one. I love home made pot holders.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

What fun! I have several bead looms. That's a fun project.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread