+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: What are your Hobbies?

Everyone seems so creative around here. My main hobby (besides hanging here at FORT) is pen-palling, the old-fashioned way. I love coming home finding a letter someone wrote for me in the mail. And it's fun writing too of course. If I don't write letters I just write for myself in my journal.

I would love to start sewing, I bought my sister's old sewing machine (although I still haven't paid for it) and I would try to do some thing. I do know how to sew, I probably just need to freshen up my memory.

I also like reading, but I don't find too much time, I have to read the books for my courses as well and too much reading makes my eyes tired. But I'm taking my last course now so I will probably have some more time soon (But it'll be hard to find a book better then "The physics of radiotherapy X-rays from linear accelerators" *big sarcasm*).

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    ...my home economics teacher, sixty-five going on 105 at the time, told me that I'd never be able to find a husband - since clearly, all men want is a gal who knows how to cross-stitch and make pot roast.
    Ooh, some may-un is going to come along and snatch me right up! I sew and make a mean pot roast!

However, I can also change a flat tire, install audio/video equipment in the house, bring Internet access into a house, open jars like they're going out of style and kill spiders like it ain't no thing. (Well, okay, I catch them and release them outdoors, but still...) So at least I'm okay in the "traditional" manly activities. (Kidding, kidding...)

My other hobbies include travel, reading and writing. Recently, my National Novel Writing Month local chapter decided to continue as a full-blown writers' meetup, and I was invited to join. So I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I am a cross-stitch ADDICT, so if you'd like any patterns and supplies, let me know.
    Thanks. We're all set, but I'll let you know.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I don't seem to stick with anything for an extended period of time, I sew (on a machine) I have done counted cross stitch, knitting, crochet, beaded jewelry, and some woodworking (I asked for, and got a new drill bit set for Christmas). Right now I have a new interest and that is finding old windows (in the trash or second hand store or where ever) and scraping, sanding and antiquing them. Then I etch the panes of glass. I've done a few for family, they seem to be popular. I love woodworking and I seem to have a 'compulsion' to paint every room in my house. This weekend I repainted the bathroom and my office/spare room. I'm never quiet satisfied with the colour so I have decided to mix my own colours at home and have the hardware store colour match.
    Ok that was tm(boring)i.
    I have never gotten into scrapbooking - it just seems so tedious to me, the results are stunning and I applaude the creativity of those who do it.
    Other than those things I sit on my butt watching reality tv and surfing here and eBay. (do not buy from adamhersh auctions.. they suck!!)

Oh! I forgot Trivia!! I love trivia. I play on MIRC and NTN if we are at a sports bar! Trivia is something hubby and I have in common.

I found a pic .. you can almost see the etching. I made the sign and that window, I pulled out of someone's trash on garbage night (my husband was embarrassed to let me back into the truck)
    Last edited by Duxxy; 01-23-2007 at 03:45 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post

As everyone who frequents the Books forums will know, my main hobby is reading - mostly fiction, crime or horror, but I sometimes read poetry and non-fiction as well. I'm also an avid reader of newspapers and magazines; heck, I even read the messages on the back of milk cartons if I don't have anything else to read! I literally get sick if I don't have anything to read - I get all antsy and fidgety and suddenly life appears bleak and meaningless. I kid, of course... but just a little bit. Ever since I learned how to read at the age of five, I've found comfort and happiness within the wonderful world of fiction. Books have truly enrichened my life in so many ways: thanks to books, I've had the privilege of walking miles and miles in other people's shoes, often forcing me to reconsider the way I think about life. I've explored parts of the world I've never visited in real life, and although reading always makes me want to travel more, I usually opt for travelling through fiction. It's just about the best thing there is

I SO could have written this myself. My mother was like this too and I got my love of reading from her. I cannot go to sleep at night if I do read, even if its only 1 page.
    I keep magazines in the car for when I have to wait. I hate waiting somewhere where there is nothing to read. I usually carry my book with me to places I know I will have to wait (doctors offices, etc.).

I will read ANYTHING even the dictionary.

I read 2 newspapers every morning and read news online all during the day.

I'm so glad there is another obsessed milk carton/cereal box reader out there.
    I probably shouldn't admit this, but I'd rather read than watch tv.

Yep, reading is definetly a great hobby to have.

Ann Landers has a quote: The person who chooses NOT to read is worse off than the person who cannot read.

So true.

I learned this week I need hearing aids and that the problem I have is genetic and will get worse. I was talking to a friend about it and she said: Man, I don't know what I would do if that was me and I said: I'd rather be deaf than blind because even deaf, I can still read.

Reading=best hobby in the world

So, to put a twist on lambi's question: What talents and hobbies do you wish you had?
    I wish I could sing and play wicked good piano. I always wanted to be in a band. Rock band. I can't carry a tune if it had a handle, but I love turning up the tunes in my car and singing at the top of my lungs (when alone of course, the myrosie family does not appreciate my caterwalling)

I also wish I could draw and paint. My daughter can and is extremely talented and wants to major in art in college and either be a fashion designer or animator when she graduates. I am insanely jealous of her ability, but also extremely proud of her.

I would like to learn how to make beautifully decorated cakes too. And floral design.

I need to win the lottery so I can afford classes in all the things I want to learn how to do:
    wine appreciation
    photography
    cake decorating
    floral design
    throwing pots (on the pottery wheel)
    stained glass
    one stroke painting
    ballroom dancing
    shooting pool well (I like to shoot pool, but suck at it)
    Last edited by MRD; 02-10-2006 at 07:00 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    FANTASTIC PAINTINGS, rattus!!! So, the depression is hobbling your painting??? I'd think that it would be an outlet, but so often depression takes many forms. When I suffer from depression, I run away from reality into my safe world of art and can be found there, for days on end. I hope that you get a chance to complete the last painting; your motifs are stunning! Thanks for sharing, Hon.
    First off sorry for the double post, but I felt I needed a new post to address this.

Depression has unfortunately kept me from doing a lot of what I love (is there a thread about depression where all of us depressed people can go to commisserate?) So I can totally relate to Rattus' creative block. Depression can be so dibilitating and Rattus, I hope you get past that and can paint again as you are very talented. LOVED what you posted. LOVED the swans. I love swans.

Lambi: your post was so moving I wanted to cry. I want to be you. I want to have done what you have done. What a life to look back on with such wonderful richness in it and experience. Your post was marvelous and thank you so much for sharing it.

I've been feeling somewhat "I've done nothing with my life" lately and I know that its not true, but I want to do so much more and you have inspired me. Thank you.
    And being creative is such a gift. I too have been creative since a child. My parents would say: Give her abox of crayons and 10 min and you'll have a one woman art show. I am glad that I am creative and I am so glad I passed it on to my daughter. She is 14 and has been doing painting/drawing for years and is so talented. Besides that she's started designing clothing and purses and sewing them, she makes beautiful cards and paper crafts. Her father is very talented as well and could make and sell furniture, but won't do it. he's made us some gorgeous pieces that I will always cherish. So daughter got the best from both of us. I just wish I could draw. Stick figures are about it. But I can make other things.

But Lambi, you rock!

And everyone else? What amazing talents you all have. So much creativity. Too bad we don't live closer and could do the Creative Salon that Lambi was telling us about.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    For me, to create is to breath.
    !NEW! Crayola 64-crayons to a box! I don't remember the "coloring in" of the entry, but I vividly remember my Mom's excitement (and subsequently, mine) in receiving the prize. She allowed me to open the virgin box of crayons, smell the comforting waxy odor, and marvel (with whetted appetite) at the colors! Periwinkle Blue, Hot Pink, Burnt Sienna...and those astonishing colors with metalic hues: Silver, Gold...and COPPER! I remember with great disappointment that she made me shut the box's cover, to keep them pristine, until I began First Grade, at age 5. But, I'm glad that she did, for when it came time for us to do art, I was the Paris Hilton of the class, opening a jewel box of colors that no one else in class had seen or could afford. (I came from a very poor rural area.)
    I loved the 64 boxes of crayons. I never got to have one growing up. I did buy one after I was married and spend hours "coloring". I felt like a child again!

My hobbies - I do cross stitching and crocheting. I love to read as well but don't do as much of that as I'd like to.

I get it in my head to do a hobby and then go ALL OUT for it. I crocheted a HUGE blanket using primary colors and it had 10 blocks (about 1 ft by 1 ft) by 10 blocks. I had to make a chart so that no 2 colors were next to each other and it used all the colors equally. It was way too heavy and too large and needless to say, very nonusuable. I just took it apart (left half in tact) and am currently unravelling the yarn to use for other mini projects.

My cross stitching gets finished and then "un finished" like not framing or finishing the ends. they just stay squares of linen with a cool pattern on them. I have every color of floss imaginable and tons of ribbons and frames and lots of the cloths and books, etc but have not touched the stuff since before Oct 2005 and then I spent a week thinking I could make ornaments for Christmas. I made 1!
    My mom framed a few of my pieces and it's cool to see my "work" shown off lovingly - like only a mother can!
    and that's it for me. I tried scrapbooking (and bought everything) and never did it. I bought the Pampered Chef starting kit and another Recipe type book that shows you how to make a planning schedule for a month of meals and never did that either.

Oh well, back to unraveling and rolling yarn balls.
    Last edited by PGM35; 02-11-2006 at 06:08 PM.

hmmm....hobbies.

I love to cross-stitch. I am a big Creative Memories scrapbook and am totally addicted to jigsaw puzzles. I have lots of puzzles framed in my place. I love photgraphy also. I have traveled all over Europe and the US....and to other places as well.

I also like going to tv show tapings....I know that one is a shocker
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I'm reviving a very old thread. I have taken up sewing. My boyfriend has his disputation on September 30th, so I decided that i will make myself a dress for the party that night. I have bought all the material and I'm really anxious to get started. It will be an empire cut dress with chiffon sleeves, so I hope I will get is as beautiful as I picture it in my mind. I have bought, what I like to call, "China fabric", red silk fabric with embroideries on it. The sleeves will also be red. I have gotten the patterns so now all I have to do is get started. I'm excited about it and nervous at the same time, what if it doesn't go well? (I haven't sewn since junior high) Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale View Post
    I have bought, what I like to call, "China fabric", red silk fabric with embroideries on it. The sleeves will also be red. I have gotten the patterns so now all I have to do is get started. I'm excited about it and nervous at the same time, what if it doesn't go well? (I haven't sewn since junior high) Wish me luck!
    Carry on...Make it work!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale View Post
    I'm reviving a very old thread. I have taken up sewing. My boyfriend has his disputation on September 30th, so I decided that i will make myself a dress for the party that night. I have bought all the material and I'm really anxious to get started. It will be an empire cut dress with chiffon sleeves, so I hope I will get is as beautiful as I picture it in my mind. I have bought, what I like to call, "China fabric", red silk fabric with embroideries on it. The sleeves will also be red. I have gotten the patterns so now all I have to do is get started. I'm excited about it and nervous at the same time, what if it doesn't go well? (I haven't sewn since junior high) Wish me luck!
    Good Luck, femme fatale!!! I wish-wish-wish that I coud sew clothes but I was permanently damaged/scarred by the Wickedest Home Ec Teacher that ever existed, in 7th grade. She quite obviously despised her job of teaching but that's not a concept that occurs to you when you're young. She ridiculed the students, we were forced to make the most wretched of items (an embroidered gingham rectangle, trimmed with rick-rack and then strung through a GIANT plastic hope??!!!--the "Mod" version of an apron!) and other atrocities.

I put a zipper in crooked, my first attempt, and she cut the skirt in half, threw it at me and told me to "Make it RIGHT or forget about wearing skirts!" Again, this was wa-a-a-a-a-y before kids could complain about Authority Figures so you just sheepishly crept back to your "Desk of Shame" while other students looked down, trying to avoid her wrath.

If you take photos of your dress, please post them so we can applaude your efforts! I recently took some pix of my jewelry to show a friend in L.A. so when I can get un-lazy, I'll photoshop them to post HERE.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread