+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: What are your Hobbies?

Photography has always been a passion of mine. I've been taking photo classes for a couple years just to have access to their darkroom. I love printing my own photos! (I didn't enroll in a class this semester but the professor is still letting me use the lab. )

I enjoy buying unfinished pieces(furniture, shelves, etc) and putting my own finishing touch on it.

I also like to crochet and read but there's not enought time for as much as I'd like....since I'm here on the FORT instead!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Wow, just like I suspected we have lots and lots of talented and creative FORTers! Thanks for starting this thread, lambikins; it's always fun to learn more about my online friends.

As everyone who frequents the Books forums will know, my main hobby is reading - mostly fiction, crime or horror, but I sometimes read poetry and non-fiction as well. I'm also an avid reader of newspapers and magazines; heck, I even read the messages on the back of milk cartons if I don't have anything else to read! I literally get sick if I don't have anything to read - I get all antsy and fidgety and suddenly life appears bleak and meaningless. I kid, of course... but just a little bit. Ever since I learned how to read at the age of five, I've found comfort and happiness within the wonderful world of fiction. Books have truly enrichened my life in so many ways: thanks to books, I've had the privilege of walking miles and miles in other people's shoes, often forcing me to reconsider the way I think about life. I've explored parts of the world I've never visited in real life, and although reading always makes me want to travel more, I usually opt for travelling through fiction. It's just about the best thing there is. Although I'm about to get my Master's in literature, I loathe the concept of "good" versus "bad" fiction - I honestly don't think I've ever read a book that hasn't taught me at least one new thing about the world, be it beekeeping (The Secret Lives of Bees), how to perform an autopsy (thanks, Patricia Cornwell!) or what a day in the life of a 19th century prostitute might be (The Crimson Petal and the White). It is through reading volume after volume of fiction that I've become fluent in English - well, that and endless hours watching American and British TV. To me, there are few things in life that beat sitting down in your favourite reading chair and diving into a brand new world and getting to know the people who inhabit it. I keep a book journal where I write about every book I've read, when I finished it and what I thought of it. It's a great way to remember what state of mind you were in at a particular time. Needless to say, discussing books with you, my fellow bookworms here at the FORT, is another dear hobby of mine. I'd love to do something similar in that cold, scary world some people refer to as "real life"; me and a couple of friends have discussed starting a book club where we will discuss books, drink insane quantities of wine and just enjoy each other's company.

So yeah, I guess it's accurate to say that my main hobby is books - reading them, writing about them, discussing them, lusting after them (my idea of a perfect Saturday? Spending hours in a huge bookstore). I do have plenty of other hobbies, though. Like many other avid readers, I do a bit of writing on my own. When I was a kid, I'd write ghost stories and mystery novels inspired by Nancy Drew and give to my parents and grandparents as gifts. They've saved every page I ever wrote as a child, which is wonderful - although the sheer volume of it makes me feel a bit lazy since I don't write nearly as much these days. My computer hard drive is jammed with poems, short stories and novel drafts, including an unfinished novel that I worked intensely on for a few months but never got around to finishing. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll sit down and finish the job, but that day has yet to come. Maybe if I wasn't so busy reading and posting on the FORT...

Other hobbies include watching Twin Peaks and The X-Files obsessively (I can totally relate to you, QBoots - I've spent an embarrassing amount of hours reading about various theories on the Internet, reading books and articles related to all things Twin Peaks or X-Files and watching the episodes over and over again), listening to music and going to concerts (my main poison has always been Britpop and indie rock, but I'm quite the country gal these days too - although I prefer my country the way I like my coffee: pitch black and bitter), foreign languages (as a teen, I was obsessed with Latin and French. Nowadays, my main interest lies within the English language. I love learning new words, word formations and euphemisms - the English language has so many more synonyms than Swedish!), food and wine, cinema and of course spending time with my loved ones, especially my fiancé and our two cats. As for sports, I've never been much of a fan, although I practically lived in a stable growing up. Horseback riding is definitely something I'd like to pick up again. In the meantime, I get my exercise from taking long walks, usually accompanied by my MP3 player.

Oh yeah, and I also enjoy writing obscenely long posts at the FORT. (I can't help but thinking that the amount of words I've written here would just about amount to that long-forsaken novel of mine. )
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Wow, just like I suspected we have lots and lots of talented and creative FORTers! Thanks for starting this thread, lambikins; it's always fun to learn more about my online friends.
    I'm so glad that this thread has been well-populated, and thanks for the "shout out", geek the girl! After I got that e-vite, I became extremely curious as to what my FoRT friends did when they weren't at work or on the board. It's fascinating to see what hobbies everyone has and the passion they display towards them.

I'm right there with you, g.t.g, in regards to reading! I kept nodding my head to point after point that you made in your post, from the age you began to read, the LOVE of words and sounds, the writing of stories, etc. If you watched C.S.I. last night, Lady Heather had the BEST quote on books...I didn't tape it so I can't remember the sequence of words, sadly. But if Leather Heather can love books, she RULES, in my world!

And regarding your post's length, geek the girl, I'm currently constructing MY "hobby" post that will surely give yours a run for it's money. See you later, gator!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

What a great post, Geek the Girl.

Funny. I was going to start a thread on hobbies, logged in yesterday and saw that lambikins had just begun one. GMTA? (Great minds think alike? )

I have "typical," mainstream hobbies like cinema, books, exercise.

I also collect graphic novels (read: comic books). I've lost count, but if I had to guess, I'd say I had (easily) over 10,000 comic books, going all the way back to the early 60's. My most cherished single copy? A Jack Kirby Fantastic Four with the first appearance of the "Inhumans." Why do I collect so obsessively? Probably because I agree with Mr. Glass from Unbreakable, who believed that graphic novels are our modern mythology and speak to us on a primal level about our need for heroes and villains and our ability to transcend our human abilities. Well...not really, but it sounds good, doesn't it? And it justifies spending $30 a week on Y the Last Man, Liberty Meadows and Shaolin Cowboy.

I'm also redesigning the sound system in my new (to me) truck. I'm going to take out the factory installed system and put in a CD changer system the way I want it done. When all is said and done, I may even install a GPS on my dashboard and a DVD player for the passengers' side. Along with the truck, my other riding hobby will soon include motorcycles. When the weather becomes warmer, I'll be taking the national motorcycle safety course and financing a Japanese streetbike. I already have the one I like picked out.

Other hobbies: I cook (Chinese and Thai), I garden (roses and vegetables), and believe it or not, I recently took up cross-stitching. Yes, cross-stitching. As Neal Stephenson so aptly pointed out in Cryptnomicon, all IT people seem to have at least one weird hobby, something that has nothing to do with IT, because it keeps them sane after dealing with machines all day. I find cross-stitching calming and exacting. In fact, just last night, I finished my first project: a yellow rubber ducky.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

phat is into cross-stitching? Who would have thought?

I can't sew or stitch for the life of me. In fact, I'm so appallingly bad at most traditionally female hobbies that back in junior high, my home economics teacher, sixty-five going on 105 at the time, told me that I'd never be able to find a husband - since clearly, all men want is a gal who knows how to cross-stitch and make pot roast. Since I'm such a klutz myself, I'm filled with admiration for everyone who's good at sewing or stitching. I have friends who make their own clothes, which is beyond cool. If I could have a talent, that would be it. I'd love to have more musical talent, too; while I'm a music freak, I remain on the audience side. My boyfriend is a musician, and it seems so damn cool to make songs, rehearse and play gigs. Ah, to be a rock star...

So, to put a twist on lambi's question: What talents and hobbies do you wish you had?
    Last edited by geek the girl; 02-10-2006 at 11:23 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    So, to put a twist on lambi's question: What talents and hobbies do you wish you had?
    I really wish I was better with a sewing machine. I have one and I've done some very simple work, like window coverings, but I would love to learn how to do clothing. I suppose I could get off my butt and try to find classes that teach sewing on machines.

I used to do beadwork and jewellry-making, but pretty much put all that stuff away when my kids were born...little fingers messing with tiny beads and soldering irons are not a good thing.

I've done some projects here and there over the past few years (embroidery, decoupage), but nothing consistently. And like Geek, I'm a Constant Reader.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

For me, to create is to breath.

My earliest memories of art in my life, were when my Mom and I would walk down our country roads, collecting bits of flowers, weeds, and dead butterflies, who were casualties of zooming cars, and then proceed home, where we'd make collages of the collected findings, pressing them in books and then mounting them on our walls. I was around 3-4 at the time and had discovered the World of Creation.

I guess it was apparent, from my beginnings, that art was the major influence in my life. Apparently, my Mom entered a Color in the Picture drawing that I did for a local newspaper and I won 1st Prize, a much coveted box of the !NEW! Crayola 64-crayons to a box! I don't remember the "coloring in" of the entry, but I vividly remember my Mom's excitement (and subsequently, mine) in receiving the prize. She allowed me to open the virgin box of crayons, smell the comforting waxy odor, and marvel (with whetted appetite) at the colors! Periwinkle Blue, Hot Pink, Burnt Sienna...and those astonishing colors with metalic hues: Silver, Gold...and COPPER! I remember with great disappointment that she made me shut the box's cover, to keep them pristine, until I began First Grade, at age 5. But, I'm glad that she did, for when it came time for us to do art, I was the Paris Hilton of the class, opening a jewel box of colors that no one else in class had seen or could afford. (I came from a very poor rural area.)

So began my immersion/addiction into the world of creation.

Looking back at my pre-college days, my life was centered around art or hobbies. I created anything and everything that I had the ability to do. I made all of my own greeting cards, bookmarks, gift wrap, etc. I was blessed with a High School that had a magnificent Art Department and got into Metal Working and Wheel-thrown Pottery. My oil paintings won Best of Show.

In college, I double majored between Studio Arts/Art History and Genetics. Genetics won out as the Money Maker, since I figured that science could afford me the money to create art, but a poor artist could do nothing except be poor.

A two year stint working at genetic sequencing for a seed company drove me insane! What had been fun in the labs (for 3 hours per day) became unbearable at 8-10 hours per day. To work in genetics is to tear apart life to the smallest component; I wanted to be immerged in life, to the fullest!

So, I went back to Uni, and took up Horticulture. I was now 23 years old. I started my first business at 24, which was a custom floral business. I would go to richy-rich homes, bring the flowers with me, and create displays on their grand pianos, the entryway, etc. Creating with flowers was the best of all worlds: it was designing with living things that added scent, color and form to the surroundings.

Along the way, I began to design stained glass windows. I started a side business in that and would take commissions from clients whom I did flower arrangements for. It became so big that I had to use one of the bedrooms in my husband's and my home. But, that ended when the marriage did, for I couldn't afford the materials and the space, on one salary. I sold all of my equipment and moved on.

I sold off my flower business and began a Plant Rental business at age 30. Again, I was creating with organic objects, only this time they were living. It was a "trip" to create sculptures out of living, breathing plants, using colors and textures to design dish gardens and plant displays in homes.

As above, along the way, I began to weave. It came about during the last visit to my Grandmother before she died. For the first time in my life, I noticed the 'scatter' rugs she had on the floor and asked her about them. They were her father's, who apparently was a Master Weaver back in Finland and also when they moved to America! Why didn't I KNOW this, growing up?! I became fascinated with weaving, took some classes and bought my own loom, a 24" Norwood, with a cherry frame. I designed rugs, placemats, wove my own fabric...the whole nine yards. I had remarried, and again, the spare bedroom became my art/hobby studio. Things happen in cycles for me, and as that marriage ended from my husband's increased drug/alchol abuse, so did the weaving and the plant rental company. Sold the loom, sold the business, moved to Michigan, licked my wounds.

Exit husband and weaving, enter next phase of life. I went back to Uni, got a Master's in Landscape Architecture in 1985. Started own landscape firm in 1990. I had found Nirvana. My need to create had literally hit "Pay Dirt" as I was able to incorporate sound, water, texture, light, shadows, color and scent into every project. There is an old saying, "Do what you love and the money will follow." Every single day that I am alive, to be able to create and make a living from it, makes me truly blessed by the Universe.

Enter Sally. When we were dating, cross continents, I grew weary of buying $5.00 cards to send her and thought, "I can make THESE!" And so began my current obsession with paper crafts. However, my cottage is 800 square feet as opposed to 2800 square feet, my Chicago residence, so the hobbies now had to match my space. I can only get "into" paper crafts that can be contained in a bookcase's worth of space, so I limit myself to making cards via rubber stamps, found materials, water colors, and those wonderful colored pencils, markers, and my beloved Crayola Crayons.

Finally, Sally arrives in the U.S., and along the way, she wants to take a beading class, but not alone. I grudgingly go along with her, glad that the classes entry fee is a lowly $20 bucks. That was 3 years ago. Sally made one pair of earrings. I, however, found my current passion/obsession and now design custom jewelry pieces for friends and to sell at some of the chi-chi shops in the Michigan resort area I live in. My paper crafting now has a companion bookcase in my 8' x8' Art Room, where head pins bump against beading wire which tangles into dichroic glass beads. I love beading for the very reasons that I had to abandon my stained glass and weaving: it's small, portable, and takes up very little space. I can keep a project and the tools in a gallon-sized ZIPLOCK baggie in my luggage, and I always have something for my Busy Bee hands to fidget with. Currently, I'm working on a jade bead and flourite necklace. I should be done with it this weekend.

Of course, I have always found time to squeezein other hobbies along the way. BIRDING, has been a passion of mine my entire life and deserves a separate post from me. Suffice it to say, I have 13 bird feeders at my cottage, ranging from suet, sunflower seeds, peanuts, raisins, apples, etc., and have my computer positioned so that I can grab my Bausch & Lomb binoculars to view juncoes and pileated woodpeckers feast at my diner.

Cooking, as some of you witness in the RECIPE thread, has always been an undercurrent in my life. I never believed I had a talent for it, it was just something for me to "screw around with" and I looked at my kitchen as One. Big. Science. Lab! Because of my background in Chemistry and Plants, it was fun to experiment with ratios and the chemical balances between sweet/savory, creamy/piquant. It's only been recently, since I've been posting at two food forums, that I've begun to have respect for my kitchen skills. Some of us learn slowly.

Other passive hobbies include reading (see response to geek the girl's post); quilting (briefly); years and years of cross-stitching on linen (got bored with it after 20 years of samplers ); and collecting things (got to be too much stuff; sold it all on ebay...bought paper and beads! ). I also took 3 cake decorating classes last year and can now bake and decorate wedding cakes. I need to post photos in the RECIPE thread but that's for another time and place. I only have Dial-Up at the cottage, and downloading photos with Dial Up, to share, is akin to pushing a cardboard box through the snow, with your knees, from New York to California.

Non-passive hobbies include hiking ANYWHERE; camping (though not so much any more since I have my cottage in the woods....bed is too comfy but I do have a fire ring! ); cross country skiing; and most recently travel. I've finally gotten to a financial position and mind set where I can allow myself to travel abroad and not worry about everyday bills.

So, as I close, I think I gave geek the girl a run for her money, in regards to BIG posts, and you've learned a wee bit more about Lambikins, as I've learned some wonderful things about YOU, my FoRT friends. I live a life of blessings, for I'm able to be creative and respected for my "hobby" of creating living sculpture through Landscaping, and when I come home, butt-tired and filthy, I can shower up and still create things of beauty for myself and friends. It has turned out, to be A Wonderful Life.

Now, I have to scoot, as I hear a necklace calling my name!

~Lambi~
    Punkin likes this.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    and believe it or not, I recently took up cross-stitching. Yes, cross-stitching. As Neal Stephenson so aptly pointed out in Cryptnomicon, all IT people seem to have at least one weird hobby, something that has nothing to do with IT, because it keeps them sane after dealing with machines all day. I find cross-stitching calming and exacting. In fact, just last night, I finished my first project: a yellow rubber ducky.
    WOW... I'm very surprised with that one, Phat...heh. I am a cross-stitch ADDICT, so if you'd like any patterns and supplies, let me know. I've got an entire bedroom/craft room full of charts, books, fabrics (mmmm...fabrics!), threads, etc... I keep telling myself that I'm going to put some up on ebay because I have more than I could ever possibly do in ten lifetimes and my tastes have changed over the years, but so far I've only sold a few pieces of fabric there.

Ooops... gotta run... will finish this later. Great thread, lambi!!!

I have a three book a week habit, which to me is not a hobby - it's a necessity like eating. I've spent time doing wood work, metal work, stained glass, leather work, knitting and sewing. Sewing is also a necessity rather than a hobby because I am just not happy with what's available commercially so I have to make my own. That includes every coat I currently own.

My primary hobby is painting - canvas and furniture.

Assuming I was able to upload these pictures, the woman is a completed painting, the swans are a supply cabinet I painted for my studio, and the temple is what I am currently working on. Unfortunately, as I have been paralyzed by depression for the past few years it is coming along quite slowly. Also, it is 4' x 3', so that's slowing down the process somewhat. Whatever you may think of the paintings, it's apparent that I am a horrendous photographer and manipulator of computer imagery as the colours are not nearly as lurid (or as red) in real life and the outlines should be sharp-edged, not blurry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Punkin likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FANTASTIC PAINTINGS, rattus!!! So, the depression is hobbling your painting??? I'd think that it would be an outlet, but so often depression takes many forms. When I suffer from depression, I run away from reality into my safe world of art and can be found there, for days on end. I hope that you get a chance to complete the last painting; your motifs are stunning! Thanks for sharing, Hon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast