+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: What are your Hobbies?

Re: What are your Hobbies?

That's an awesome sweater, Lizard! I've never been taught cable, but I used to do argyle. I've made argyle sweaters for two different boyfriends and one for myself, but it's been a while.
    One Christmas a couple years ago I made scarves where I knit with 3 yarns at once and gradually switched out one at a time, so the colors gradually changed. It was very involving and I loved doing them. I must have made a dozen of them. I let people choose the color schemes they wanted and then just played. All knit, no purl or patterns, fairly large needles, so it went quickly. I have a LOT of yarn in smaller quantities.
    Count your blessings!

9292535956_5411f2505b_c.jpg8877824584_d5a7f7db6f_c.jpg8746506875_73f96068b4_c.jpg
    Last year three of my friends (two over 40 yrs old and one closing in on) were having their first babies. I just loved (love) dreaming of things to make.
    Punkin, captain, Kip and 3 others like this.
    You can do it!

Oh! Oh! Oh! Adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lizard likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    That's an awesome sweater, Lizard! I've never been taught cable, but I used to do argyle. I've made argyle sweaters for two different boyfriends and one for myself, but it's been a while.
    One Christmas a couple years ago I made scarves where I knit with 3 yarns at once and gradually switched out one at a time, so the colors gradually changed. It was very involving and I loved doing them. I must have made a dozen of them. I let people choose the color schemes they wanted and then just played. All knit, no purl or patterns, fairly large needles, so it went quickly. I have a LOT of yarn in smaller quantities.
    Doing cables is easier than fair isle...but i was addicted to fair isle. Use the little one and a half inch cable needles to speed the process along if you do cable.

I got the pattern for the pinwheel baby sweater, baby aviatrix hat, and my neice's Christmas sweater FREE off of www.ravelry.com (a free site of which i have no financial interest). All the patterns in just about all the boks and mags including Vogue knitting are there. In fact i could view the patterns there before i even got my latests issues.
    Last edited by Lizard; 04-19-2014 at 05:06 AM.
    You can do it!

I've never followed a knitting pattern. Is it hard? I've made up my own for American Girl dolls. No grandchildren yet.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I've never followed a knitting pattern. Is it hard? I've made up my own for American Girl dolls. No grandchildren yet.
    I learned both crochet and knitting when I was a preteen. I did not knit much because I was ntimidated by construction. I made a vest that had a tight neck opening. Plus i did not know that to sew knitted pieces together you need to weave from the OUTside (not sew from the inside as in sewing).

Knitting from a pattern--actually more helpful because dimensions are listed for you. Just make sure you have a tape measure handy... Everything is knit or purl. Knit groups are fun and they can answer questions. And if you are a member on ravelry (free) you can ask the other member questions on a technique...or the book author. Nicky Epstein added me as a friend a couple of hours ago.......tickled...i think i said earlier in this chain that i would add you on ravelry as a friend if you join. Just email me and i will send you my ravelry name.

You tube videos also explain a lot. You might understand everything but one thing,, and then a video can help you out. I can answer if i know the answer.....

Going to put a Nicky Epstein photo up. I have five of her books.
    Last edited by Lizard; 04-19-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    Gutmutter likes this.
    You can do it!

Wow, Lizard, those are just gorgeous! I have really got to learn to knit. I can crochet up a storm but put knitting needles in my hands and I'm clueless.

I love Ravelry too...I can spend hours looking at patterns.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

6562333581_3d975589b8_z.jpg
    I tried to copy Nicky Epstein pictures but they must have some sort of protection. It says that she is in 71 books and magazines. I own her stitch books Knitting on the Edge, Knitting over the edge, Crocheting on the Edge, ..... i made these scarves from a free Nicky Epstein pattern on ravelry (Irish Rose Scarf). Perfect as Christmas gifts. Not that much time to make and loved by the recipients.
    Last edited by Lizard; 04-19-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    captain, waywyrd and Kip like this.
    You can do it!

Waywyrd...yes me too. I hve more than a thousand favorited items i friended you. You can see my projects....i am thinking about Crocheting a scarf next.
    waywyrd likes this.
    You can do it!

Wow, Lizard! Just Wow!

+ Reply to Thread