+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your personal style?

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar

What is your personal style?

Everyone has their own style. From the clothes that we wear to work vs the clothes we wear on the off days to the way we choose to decorate our homes. I think you can tell a lot about a person by the things they choose to surround themselves with. Please tell me a bit about yourself but also PLEASE remember that this site is PG-13 and I am not wanting to hear about your private life. I'll start.

I have a very mixed wardrobe. The way I dress varies with the temprature and my activities for the day. If I am staying home and not expecting visitors it's sweats and a t-shirt. If I go out I can wear anything from a tank top and shorts to flash all of my tattoos to a preppy polo shirt and khakis. Just depends on my mood at the time.

See? Please keep all talk of lingere out. This can be fun if we keep it clean.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Jeans and a sweatshirt. My chosen uniform. I work with kids so it's the best/easiest thing to wash and wear.
    I rarely go anywhere that demands dressing up, but when I do, rest assured what ever I'm wearing is black. I like classic styles, I don't do trends, my clothes have to be a good bargain or promise lots of wear for me to buy them.
    For off hours I favour cotton sweaters and jeans. I am no style/glamour maven. I live in cotton. My clothes, my flanel sheets everything is cotton. I like natural fibres and I favour an earth toned colour palate - it suits my colouring.
    As far as furniture goes... no chintz, no toile, I like clean lines, sleek hardware but not glass or chrome. Wood, cotton, terra cotta, stone wear. Thats my style.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    my style is a joke. I have none. For Christmas, my family got me several outfits. They had pants, shirts, jackets, socks and told me I was only allowed to wear the "sets". For example, I am wearing white socks with a brown outfit. The way I look at it: I'm warm. The way everyone else looks at it: OMG-white socks!!!!!

My personal clothing style would be sort of hippie crossed with punk (though not at work). It's not as unattractive as it sounds, though I know those two worlds are anathema to each other, and it is extremely comfortable. Basically leggings, large shirts/t-shirts (very loose), floaty skirts, skull prints, ethnic/antique/biker shop jewellery, sandals for as much of the year as possible, rayon (love rayon), long scarves, duster (suede or linen, depending on season), shades (prescription, not because I'm cool). It honestly is a comfort thing, but I cannot, will not, wear anything made out of fleece (sweat gear) out in public, so there's not much point in buying any at all as I have limited space for clothes storage.

My home furnishings are based on the Arts & Crafts style, with French and Asian elements, lots of wood, persian rugs, lots of books & cds, paintings, cats and a big fireplace that gets used regularly. It's very comfortable and completely male friendly.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    My personal clothing style would be sort of hippie crossed with punk (though not at work). It's not as unattractive as it sounds, though I know those two worlds are anathema to each other, and it is extremely comfortable. Basically leggings, large shirts/t-shirts (very loose), floaty skirts, skull prints, ethnic/antique/biker shop jewellery, sandals for as much of the year as possible, rayon (love rayon), long scarves, duster (suede or linen, depending on season), shades (prescription, not because I'm cool). It honestly is a comfort thing, but I cannot, will not, wear anything made out of fleece (sweat gear) out in public, so there's not much point in buying any at all as I have limited space for clothes storage.

My home furnishings are based on the Arts & Crafts style, with French and Asian elements, lots of wood, persian rugs, lots of books & cds, paintings, cats and a big fireplace that gets used regularly. It's very comfortable and completely male friendly.
    Rattus: I think you and I would be GREAT shopping buddies as I read your post and cried "Yeah, Baby!!!" (rather like Austin Powers). I have a completely and utterly unique style of dress in my circle of friends and it's a combination of two radically differing influences: my Gran and My Mom.

My Gran's influence came from The Old World. Although not born there, her parent's were, and in the 1800's you did TWO things:
    1) NEVER exposed too much skin!
    2) NEVER wore your "work clothes" out side of work.

I was born into the last minute of the last hour of that wonderous fashion time of gloves, hats, patent leather shoes and petticoats. By the time I was 8 years old, things had simplified but I still mourn the loss, to this day. That's why I need to play "Dress Up" so often! (more about this, later)

Regarding rule #2, my first 5 years were on a dairy farm and subsequent years were spent bouncing back and forth between Gran and Mom/Stepdad #2, #3, #4 and #5. Farms are messy, smelly places and a hard working farm wife is NOT going to be cleaning up muck and crap every 5 minutes. So, there was a STRICK RULE: you strip to your undies in the mud room, put on a robe, take a bath and change into something else to eat at the table. During haying and thrashing season, we had a monsterous screened in porch that the haying crews and family would eat in, so they didn't have to "strip." But woe to Grandpa if he came into the house with his milking clothes on......."Run, Grandpa! Ru-u-u-u-u-u-n!"

Then, there was my Mom's influence, she of the Fredrick's of Hollywood mail order catalog and the constant need/obsession to STAND OUT IN A CROWD OF ONE. I remember being alternatedly fascinated/horrified when she wore a leopard print body suit to the Red Owl Supermarket...in BROAD daylight!!!! She sashayed up and down the aisles like the Queen of Sheba, and I imagine in her mind, she was.

My Mom was a Small Pond Model (small fish/big pond) in our farm area and she played it up to the hilt. Not to mention, she looked like Linda Gray from ?Dynasty? and was the ONLY AVON lady in a 50 mile radius. So, she took Grandma's Rule#2 and "pumped up the volume". False eyelashes, push up bra, wigs and dangley earrings were norm for going to the rural post office. She'd go to bed with make up, rush into the bathroom, put on a new "face" and would then allow us to see her. The only time I ever saw my Mom's real face was when she was in the hospital, following an attack of Scarlet Fever. As soon as she was cogniscant, she put on her mask.

So, with these two similar but mixed messages, my own style was formed. I don't own a single pair of BLUE jeans and never will, since I was taught that "jeans are for working in the barn." I can't shake that perception and have an unhealthy prejudice against blue jeans because I see "cow barn" where others don't. I will allow myself jet black jeans but the very second that they fade, they become work jeans.

For landscaping, I dress entirely in black because it's the only way to stay professional looking, no matter what I'm doing. Because of that factor, and the fact that I work with ALL men, in a male occupation, in hot/sweaty/filthy conditions, I'm 1000% Girl when I'm off of work.

I come home, rip off my clothes, toss them in the wash, and take a shower. I lather on the scent, pamper my body, and then wear ANYTHING that has COLOR and could NOT...under ANY circumstance...be used in the creation of a landscape!!!! That's why I have an extreme amount of 'Dry Clean Only' and 'Hand-Wash Only' in my wardrobe; it's to prevent me from getting lazy and having my male work life bleed into my private female life.

I'm a big girl, slightly shorter than Queen Latifah, so I use my ass-ets to the max! Big girls can ROCK color, patterns and textures, wearing things that Teeny Tina's can't. So my jewelry is BIG, my colors are BOLD and my accessories ROCK!!! I know I'm doing something right from the amount of compliments that complete strangers give to me. (Hope that doesn't sound too conceited, but don't we all like to be told we "look nice"?)

I love mixing colors and patterns that more timid people can't or won't. I'm not going to go into detail, because like Rattus, it will sound bad but look GREAT! I go for anything: punk, goth, renaissance, hippie, preppy, trendy, classic, etc.

And...how I LOVE to play "dress up"! Sally and I love to go dancing so we put on our various outfits and head to two bars in Chicago that encourage their patrons to dress the part. Sally is wee, so she dresses as in beaded angora sweater sets and petticoated skirts, where I'll wear a pill box hat with veil, mink stole from the 50's and a black silk cocktail dress. Likewise, I'm a Ren Fair junkie and for the past 15 years, I've either worked weekends at them or just hang out at them so I have 10 changes of wardrobe in the Renaissance style. Corsets, pantaloons, Merry Widows, Juliet Head pieces, swords, strap on belts for utensils....it's addictive and a healthy way to live out fantasy.

When at home, and no one sees me, I love to wear African "dasheekees"(sp.). I get them in Hyde Park, a large Black community of Chicago with a strong Afro-Centric population. They are soft, supple, flowy things that make ANY woman look like a .

So, that's that, regarding clothes.

House-wise: Sally's and my place in the city is very Urban, Chic and Retro, with color choices that sound wretched but turned out fabulous. It's rather like those "Thin Man" movies meets Peter Max. Aubergine walls meet Leopard Print lamp shaped trimmed with indigo bead fringes. A 1950's crescent-shaped Diva couch nestles in the window bay, with twin matching floor lamps, with red silk shades, trimmed in grey maribou feathers.

My Cottage in Michigan is Country Living Magazine and I love the contrast. I have furniture that was my Gran's; antiques I've bought; Oriental rugs, flowers, candles, fire places, and 18 windows!!!! My bedroom alone, has 4 windows in it and an East-South-West exposure. It's my favorite room. The kitchen, which is massive, is done in the style of a 1940's home, but only to the point where I didn't have to remodel and spend a $$$$$. The cabinets and counter are pure 1950's: clear pine wood with chrome handles and Star-pattered Formica on the counters. But the vintage things I have in there from the 1800's to 1950's blend in well and make it look homey.

That's it. That's my style.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

lambikins, we are birds of a feather. I'm having a major case of stuff envy reading your post. One of the reasons my clothing style is currently as described is because, sadly, I am now the size of two Queen Latifahs. But back in the days when I was more of a 7/8th's QL size, I wore a lot of retro clothes. I loved what I referred to as my Lucy dresses (actually, in retrospect, Dior's New Look), and the '50s Jetson-looking shantung silk sheathes partnered with Afghani earrings and antique lace scarves. Oh, to be able to dress like that again.

And your home - I love that eclectic retro style. I was originally aiming for something like that, but somehow the truckdriver husband didn't quite blend so I built outward from the 1890's Morris chair that we got for him because it was comfortable. I think everything looks better done with a mix - clothes, decor, people.

Oh, thanks for the dashiki tip. We're planning a trip to Chicago sometime soon and I'll have to check the neighbourhood out.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Eclectic. I have a little bit of everything, but my weakness is jewellry...I'm never seen without it and I can never have enough. However, I'm just as happy with costume stuff as well as *good* jewellry. I like hoop earrnings, dangly bracelets, long necklaces, and rings, rings, rings - silver is my favourite but I'm not picky.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Wow! I love reinnisance wear but only have a sword collection, no clothes. Love the range in everybody's sytles! I am a bit preppy today with a cardigan and turtleneck but I have "chucks" (converse all stars) with frog laces on my feet. I couldn't resist.

ETA: Correct spelling. And also- LAMBIKINS don't fret I am a 5'10" 14/16 and I get more stares than size zero girls. "Guys like a sturdy girl who won't break" (men)
    Last edited by JAFO'S PRINCESS; 02-10-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    lambikins, we are birds of a feather. I'm having a major case of stuff envy reading your post. One of the reasons my clothing style is currently as described is because, sadly, I am now the size of two Queen Latifahs. But back in the days when I was more of a 7/8th's QL size, I wore a lot of retro clothes. I loved what I referred to as my Lucy dresses (actually, in retrospect, Dior's New Look), and the '50s Jetson-looking shantung silk sheathes partnered with Afghani earrings and antique lace scarves. Oh, to be able to dress like that again.

And your home - I love that eclectic retro style. I was originally aiming for something like that, but somehow the truckdriver husband didn't quite blend so I built outward from the 1890's Morris chair that we got for him because it was comfortable. I think everything looks better done with a mix - clothes, decor, people.

Oh, thanks for the dashiki tip. We're planning a trip to Chicago sometime soon and I'll have to check the neighbourhood out.
    Dear Rattus: I'm glad that someone else "gets" what I was trying to describe! I love my size; I'm a strong-boned Farm Girl, 5'8" and a size 14-16. Baby Got Back and I lurve to use my "Lovely Lady Humps" to my advantage. What's interesting is that WHITE men have always had a problem with my looks but it drives Black and Hispanic men WILD!!!! Naturally, I think that those men know what they are talkin' about!

When Sally has tried to dress like me, we both roar with laughter! I'm not talking about my actual clothes, as she's a Size 0 (how can you be a "0"...isn't that 'nothing', the absence of something????) but when she's tried to mimic my style, it's like a bean pole wearing a bear rug! Conversely, when I try to mimic her style, well....I'd deserve a Fashion Ticket from the Fashion Police!

Hey! I have a Stickley Rocking Chair...an authenticly labeled one that I bought in 1976 for 50 bucks!!! It's one of the center pieces of my cottage!

But, Honey, Rock it like you OWN it, regarding your size!!!! I've never seen an African Queen be embarrassed and neither should a Caucasian Queen!

The shops I'm talking about in Hyde Park are on 53rd street, all up and down the street. Hyde Park pulls off of the mega famous University Hyde Park Campus and it's wonderful to see people flaunt their ethnicities!!! And thanks for correcting my spelling on "dashiki's"; I knew it was wrong but too lazy to look it up!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I'm all about comfort. If it's too tight, has high heels, or involves pantyhose you can forget it. Since I work at a middle school with no dress code, I wear the same things to work that I would wear to the grocery store. Otherwise I wear sweats and t-shirts. I often get my shoes in the men's department because I have wide feet and women's shoes are ridiculous to the extreme. I don't wear makeup and until I lost my hair to cancer, always wore it long. I'm enjoying my new short hair because I can go from the pool to the classroom in 15 min. My one weakness is jewelry which I wear every day. However, every single piece represents a world culture or religion and I use it to inform my students.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast