+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are Employment Recruiters Worth My Time?

Are Employment Recruiters Worth My Time?

Here's my situation:
    I'm job hunting. However, when employers don't put the salary in the posting and won't tell you on the phone, if I'm interested, I end up going to the interview only to find out it's less than I make now. . . My best friend suggested contacting an employment recruiter. She said they find jobs for you and you never have to interview for things that are below your salary range, but I don't know ANYTHING about recruiters and if they're even legitimate. Can anyone give me some info?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    I looked into getting help from an employment recruiter but I would have had to pay them a fee upfront plus a percentage of my salary for the first year so I decided it wasn't for me.

charity: Although I've not gone to an employment recruiter, two of my clients are one and I've had too many to list friends who have utilized one to secure a great job.

Some require an upfront fee, so you don't waste their time.

Others don't require a fee until they find you a job and you're employed, whereby you give a percentage of your salary to them.

This is an area that it traditionally for upper management or very specific jobs, not middle or lower management. Salary range usually begins in the mid 50's and goes up to the sky.

But remember, YOU are your BEST advertisement for yourself! If you find a job you're interested in and the salary is lower than you want, then sell them on YOU and set your salary ceiling. My friend, Nicole, interviewed for a job in property management and their salary was lower than what she currently made. Although they couldn't offer her more now, she did negotiate--IN WRITING--an employment contract that stipulated that she got a percentage of the office rental units that she leased in a brand new development that was just finishing up construction.

It's been 3 years now, she's the entire boss of that project, is looking at being promoted to another new construction site, and is making $20,000 MORE than she did 3 years earlier!

Just something to consider.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Charity, my husband got his current position from a recruiter. He was referred to them by a friend after he was laid off from his previous job. He didn't pay the recruiters a dime - the companies that needed employees paid them a finders fee.

Some recruiters, like the ones my husband used, specialize in certain types of industries. How you would go about finding one, I don't know. However, like lambi said, stay away from ones that want YOU to pay THEM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Thank you all for that. It sounds like it works, but it's all in which company you talk to. I've just been discouraged lately because companies in this area that are hiring are making jobs sound different in ads than they are when you interview for them and they're giving 'small jobs', per se, big titles. Then I waste my time preparing for the interview, putting on a suit, driving, parking, talking, only to find that out. I hadn't realized the job market was this bad until this very moment. Hmm. . .

Thank you all. Keep any info coming!

+ Reply to Thread