+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Cuba!!! Got any tips?

FORT Newbie

Going to Cuba!!! Got any tips?

I'm so excited to be going on my first trip with my husband since our honeymoon in Disney World We leave in two weeks. I would like to make sure I don't forget anything and bring appropriate and needed gifts for some Cuban locals.

Does anyone have any travelling tips?

Thanks in advance!

Are you going to Disneyland in Florida or is there a NEW Disneyland in Cuba!?

You'll need vastly different "traveling tips" if it's to the latter, since travel to Cuba is illegal :nono for U.S. citizens!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

She may not be American. I believe that Cuban-Americans or those with Cuban-American spouses can visit there legally with special credentials, though. I'm not positive, but I think that's the case. There is also special licensing for going there for professional reasons. I have a friend that toured there with a jazz group for a summer.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thanks for the info, Stargazer. I've adored Cuba since I discovered their music years ago and only wish that our govenment and their government would bury that old rusty hatchet so that travel could open up for everyone.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Newbie
    I think I'm so excited I can't speak (or write) clearly.

I'm going to Cuba. I was in Disney World a few years ago for my honeymoon.
    I'm from Canada and travel to Cuba is perfectly legal. I forgot U.S. citizens can't travel there I think it might be similar as travelling to any under-developed country (Dominican Republic...etc.) for things to bring? Maybe???

I've heard from some people to bring soap/shampoo/deodorant for locals but others say they don't want those things. I am going to tip in cash but would also like to bring gifts for the people that work on the resort and their families. I'm also not sure of what to bring for myself. I know to bring Immodium Advil and bugspray (and of course sunscreen for my lovely pastey white skin). But I'd hate to get there and realize I'm forgetting something major that I'd really wish I'd known about.

My coworker just got back from Cuba, Petunia. She had a great time and said the people there were just amazing to her. Everyone I know that's been just raves about the beaches.

Have a great time.

And yes, for those that are wondering, my coworker is Canadian as well, so yes, it's legal. Cuba is a huge hotspot for Canadians.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I've never been to Cuba but I know when I have gone on cruises one of the things that people on the cruise message boards have said to bring for gifts for people who work on the ships are phone cards so that they can phone their families. Don't know if that would necessarily apply in your case or not. They also mentioned small samples of perfume/cologne or maybe even something that is relevant to your state or town (ex. playing cards with your state on it, koozies, etc)

My advice is to check out several of the travel websites that have message boards and you can get lots of travel packing ideas from there. I'm a big fan of:
    www.tripadvisor.com
    www.tripspot.com
    www.mytravelguide.com

Hopefully some of this will help...have a safe trip and be sure to tell us all about it when you get back!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Petunia I hope you have a super time on the beach! Don't forget your camera/film or digital. I know that whenever I went abroad, everyone loved Canadians. So bring some pins to hand out: Canadian and your provincial one. They're inexpensive, small, and easy to carry. Try the Dollar stores.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I forgot also that US citizens can't go to Cuba. It's too bad, it's a gorgeous place. I bet Bush goes. Petunia, I think you can bring inexpensive lipstick and T-shirts and panty hose. Don't forget little trinkets for the employee's kids. Like MissKitty said, try the Dollar store. And don't just bring things for women. When I visited Mexico, I brought stuff for women, but a guy was cleaning my room. I was too embarrassed to leave stuff out for him (I also think he was gay, so no girlfriend for him to give presents too).

That sounds like a great trip, Petunia. I've never been (I don't fly), but a friend of mine was there with his wife a couple of years ago and they spend a few days away from the resort. They, I believe, rented cars and drove to Havana (opposite end of the island) and stayed there for a few days. They just loved Havana as it is the real Cuba. They felt perfectly safe both touring the island and exploring Havana, and had a much better time doing that than they did at the resort.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast