+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I like it, you might think it's weird (Names version)

I like it, you might think it's weird (Names version)

So, I've been milling around in the Pregnancy thread for a while, and getting into a little back and fourth in the "There and Back" thread.. So I decided it's time to start a new version of the "I eat it, you might think it's weird thread" I'd love to hear the names everyone likes that other people think are wierd, gross, incorrectly gender associated etc.. I'll start of course.

Yes we named our SON Ashley. You might think it's weird, but only a few moments research and you will find that Ashley was, and still is as much a boys name as Frank.

Other wierd names we like are
    For boys:
    Lyric
    Luka
    River
    Cillian

For girls:
    Asa (Typically a japanese boys name)
    Luna
    Seraphine
    Mena
    Marley

Anyone else?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd View Post
    Other weird names we like are
    Marley

Anyone else?
    I don't think Marley is a weird name.

I could make a pretty long list of odd names from the nursery at work, but here's just a few. I swear I am not making this up.

Charles Manson III (This name was given to a baby in a hospital I worked in back in about 1984. It was the family name, but WHY on earth would anybody want to continue it???)

Meconium (this is the medical name for a baby's first poop.. a little teenage mother thought it sounded pretty and nobody could talk her out of it. )

Neveah (Heaven spelled backwards)

Waynerd (My husband's SIL's brother.)

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I don't think Marley is a weird name.

I could make a pretty long list of odd names from the nursery at work, but here's just a few. I swear I am not making this up.

Charles Manson III(This name was given to a baby in a hospital I worked in back in about 1984. It was the family name, but WHY on earth would anybody want to continue it???)

Meconium (this is the medical name for a baby's first poop.. a little teenage mother thought it sounded pretty and nobody could talk her out of it. )

Neveah (Heaven spelled backwards)

Waynerd (My husband's SIL's brother.)
    Well, I don't think Marley is a weird name either! I like it better than Meconium or Charles Manson III!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I don't think Marley or River are weird. But Meconium yikes!
    How about Mongolia? I knew a woman Who had the name Mongolia Edge, I kid you not.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I've heard where someone named their twins Orangello and Lemongello because they liked Orange and Lemon Jello ! When you pronounce the names its Or-ahn-gello and Le-mahn-gello. I'm not really sure how they spelled the names but I know they picked the names because of their Jello preference.

That Jello one is an urban myth. Or, if someone's actually done it, they probably heard about the myth and made it a reality. That seems unlikely, though.

The Snopes take on crazy baby names
    That link has non PG-13 language in it.

Premium Member
    OK, I just remembered another one. These super clever parents named their baby boy "Landon Atmos". Their last name was Fear. You figure it out. .

MRD
    I went to high school with a set of twins:

Tequila and Tijuana.

Neither was of spanish heritage. I'm guesing their mother had a wild time with some Tequila in Tiajuna and this was the result! LOL!

My sister works in the school system in Orlando Florida. They've had 3 Cinderellas and 1 Casabeer. Yes, Case of beer. Poor kid.

We used to watch Where in teh world is Carman Sandiago years ago. There was a girl on there once named Female. Pronounced Fe-Mah-lay.

Ashley was the name of Scarlett's love in Gone with the Wind. He married Melanie instead.

My nephew is named Cymri (means Man of Wales, in welch).
    Pronounced: Kim-ree

I was told when I was pregnant to take thename I picked, open the back door and yell it as loud as I could ten times in a row. If it still sounded good then, then choose it. The reasoning: That is how you and the kid will be hearing the name for the next 18 years. LOL!

I have a fairly uncommon name. Not real unusual and more common today than it used to be and let me tell you, its been a struggle all my life. I think simplier names are under utilized and more complicated names do a disservice to the kid that has to bear them.

My husband has a very unusal first name and a very different spelling of his last name. We spend our entire lives spelling out everything. It gets to be a pain. Why I named my daughter Lucy. Nice, easy simple right? People still try to spell it Lucie, Luci, etc.

While i like my name now, I HATED it as a kid. Just my opinion and experience.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    )

Oh my gosh, Marley! That is crazy.

My own daughter's name is Anya, which some people might find weird. I've always loved it, though, and she seems to think its pretty cool too.

ETA: OH! How could I forget this? My nephew's middle name is Running Bear. His mom is part Native American.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 02-04-2006 at 12:16 PM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    That Jello one is an urban myth. Or, if someone's actually done it, they probably heard about the myth and made it a reality. That seems unlikely, though.

The Snopes take on crazy baby names
    That link has non PG-13 language in it.
    That's a relief actually - I would hate to think kids would have to go through life with names like that!
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 02-04-2006 at 01:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast