+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I like it, you might think it's weird (Names version)

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I named my 2 boys Wyatt and Briar B_R_I_A_R not Brian I hate that. I was going for Savannah for a girl but when Jafo and I have one (hope) a girl would be Apache Cheyenne or a boy would be Dakota. If Ex and I would've had a 3rd boy he would've been named Jesse James. I guess I like cowboys. I also like the names Xavier, Alexandra, Jeizzavelle I know I'm weird. My grandmother's name was Ella and I have it tattoed on me with a hummingbird (her favorite thing in the world) and people are always asking me...Ella? What's an Ella? Duh.

ETA: RATTUS- I went to school with a girl who's neighbor's name was Richard Head. And he went by the first name Dick. Mean parents.
    Last edited by JAFO'S PRINCESS; 02-07-2006 at 08:50 AM.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

I used to work with a gentleman whose name was Dick Small. I know, I know, he could have been Richard Small, but he chose to call himself Dick (old dude, salesman, drove a Jaguar). His paychecks were distributed to Small, Dick.

And speaking of rude names, I heard on the radio this morning that Nicki Cox and Jay Mohr are getting married and she intends to hyphenate her name as Mohr-Cox. The morning radio doofi swear this is true, but you know, they're morning radio doofi.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Newfherder, it's so cool that you've given your sons Scandinavian names. Does your son Bjorn get a lot of Björn Borg jokes?
    Before I answer, I should reiterate that Bjorn and Gustav are my Newfoundland dogs--your question is just ambiguous enough that I thought I should clarify

No, no Bjorn Borg jokes. The attention span of the locals is about 10 seconds, so tennis players of the 70's and 80's are way off of the radar. When I had Bjorn implanted with a microchip, I tried to make a joke about Bjorn now being a Borg, but nobody seemed to get the Star Trek reference, either.

I'm not too sure how Bjorn got his name. When we contracted with the breeder, his name was to be something else, but when my then-wife and the breeder were filling out the paperwork, the breeder asked if he really looked like a Johann. They decided that he looked more like a Bjorn, and so Bjorn he became. I wasn't displeased with the name, having watched Bjorn Daehlie medal in cross-country skiing at the Olympics, but need I add that I don't understand women? I took no chances with the second Newf. Before deciding on a name, I asked the breeder if he looked more like a Gustav or an Olaf.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Overall I don't like weird names. Just with my own name I've had trouble my entire life with people not being able to spell or pronounce it and I don't think my name's all that odd (Patricia, but I go by Tricia. People can't spell it either way).

I guess the weirdest names I like are Wyeth for a boy (I don't think it's all that weird but people on another board said it is) and Andromeda for a girl. The only problem with Andromeda is that it might be hard for her to spell, other people might not know how to spell or pronounce it, and it might be a bit long for standard forms which don't give much space for a first name. I suppose she could go by Andi for a nickname but I don't know if a girl would want to have a boyish nickname. If I use Andromeda at all, it would probably be as a middle name.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Overall I don't like weird names. Just with my own name I've had trouble my entire life with people not being able to spell or pronounce it and I don't think my name's all that odd (Patricia, but I go by Tricia. People can't spell it either way).

I guess the weirdest names I like are Wyeth for a boy (I don't think it's all that weird but people on another board said it is) and Andromeda for a girl. The only problem with Andromeda is that it might be hard for her to spell, other people might not know how to spell or pronounce it, and it might be a bit long for standard forms which don't give much space for a first name. I suppose she could go by Andi for a nickname but I don't know if a girl would want to have a boyish nickname. If I use Andromeda at all, it would probably be as a middle name.

I agree I like the name Andromeda but it sounded dorky somehow. I don't know. But my RL name is Sheri and no one can spell it. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    Before I answer, I should reiterate that Bjorn and Gustav are my Newfoundland dogs--your question is just ambiguous enough that I thought I should clarify
    D'oh! That's what I get for being a cat person
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I went to school with a guy named Peter Paneritis. Sounds like a disease to me.
    I have a strong dislike for children being named after parents. I just find that the pinnacle of hubris. Give the child his/her own name for crying out loud!

We had some trouble coming up with boy names when I was preggers but one that my husband liked was Emmerson. I said I liked that for a girl but not a boy.
    We named our daughter Meredith (protector of the sea) and if we had another girl I wanted to name her Celeste (keeper of the stars) Hubby said no way!
    Logan, Ethan and Jakob were names that we agreed on for boys.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    I agree with Duxxy. I don't like it when parents name their kids after themselves, particularly if the family has a long tradition of handing down a weird name. I would only consider using a parent's or family name as a middle name. The kids need to have their own names.

Peter Paneritis...that is funny!
    The doctor said my Peter Pan is inflamed and I'm never going to be able to grow up!
    Last edited by pikachu; 02-07-2006 at 11:06 AM.

I too agree with the idea of having your own identity. You want you r children to grow up to be them, not a clone of...whomever.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    I went to school with a guy named Peter Paneritis. Sounds like a disease to me.

Now THAT is funny!

+ Reply to Thread