+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I like it, you might think it's weird (Names version)

ClosetNerd, you already know you have my wholehearted support on the name ASH, don't you? (Hmm, maybe we should name our kid Henry the Red, Duke of Shale, Lord of the Northlands and leader of its peoples, a.k.a. Mr. Fancypants. )
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

*snort! I just laughed till my sides hurt. Ow
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by vondl0 View Post
    There is a poor gentleman who I occasionally cross paths with named Harry Dickman. Yes, you read that right. What were his parents thinking??
    And what were the Balls family thinking when they named their son Harry?
    Another weird name I've come across is Herb Sage.
    What about the skier Picabo (Peek-a-boo) Street who was named after her favourite game?

Quote Originally Posted by femmefatale
    Sorry to double post but I just remembered a weird names story I've heard (I don't know if it's true or not but if it's true it's kind of weird)

It was about a couple who got a daughter and the father named her what he thought was the most beautiful name in the world, My (which is a not uncommon name here in Sweden). When he got another daughter he didn't want to give her a name that he didn't like as much so he named her My as well. Like I said, I don't know if it's true but it must be very inconvenient to give your children the same name.
    Didn't George Foreman (the boxer and barbequer extraordinaire) have a number of sons, all of which he named George?

Snowflake - I like Celtic names. I'm not too fond of Cillian (because of the hard K sound.) Though I don't mind the hard K in Kalan. Other male names I like are Finn, Seamus & Cedric. Female names I like are Moira (but it means bitter), Olwen, Branwen, Etain & Isolde.
    Last edited by CCL; 02-06-2006 at 07:51 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm partial to Scandinavian names. My two Newfs are Bjorn and Gustav, and in the distant future when I get another male, he will be Olaf. My older brother really wanted to name his daughter Kjiersten, but didn't want to have her go through life hearing "Kajersten" so he Anglicized the spelling. I feel his pain--if I had a nickel for every time my boy is called "Bajorn", I could fully fund FORT for forty fortnights.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    What about the skier Picabo (Peek-a-boo) Street who was named after her favourite game?
    *THREADJACK*
    The famous Olympic skier Picabo Street is not just an athlete, she is a nurse.
    She currently works at the Intensive Care Unit of a large metropolitan hospital.

She is not permitted to answer the telephone, however, as it caused simply too much confusion when she would answer the phone and say, "Picabo, ICU."

*END THREADJACK*
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Newbie
    There were two girls that went to my highschool with funny names. One was Cherry Halls and the other Tara Page.

My great-grandmother was named Parthena Nevada, which I always thought was kinda cool. I'd never torture a kid with it, though. Other relatives were Maude, Hazel, Wilhemena and Dorothea. Do not let Julia Roberts see this thread.
    I also noticed a funny legal notice in the paper, the guy changed his name to Neil ... from Anal.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Fort Member
    I have tried to write this several times and it just gets too long.
    I come from a family of nuts who gave no thought at all to the fact that their children would have to live with their names until they were old enough to legally change them.
    I was going to write them all down but as my mother is the youngest of 13 and most of her siblings had more than 6 children each and all of them bar two, (who named all their nine and ten kids after saints, this was followed by the rest of the family naming at least one male after a saint, one saint in particular), gave their kids unlivable or themed names in what must have been some kind of unspoken competition for the dumbest thing to call a kid.
    So I will just tell you mine and my sister and brothers as my mother was the youngest and was following a trend you can just imagine the rest
    All i can say is think carefully and remember the name is for a child who has to grow into an adult.
    Choose wisely or they will never forgive you

Nett (yep, like in fishing net and butterfly net and how do you catch a man? you know with a nett!They claim there was an argument between my mother and her mother in law my mother wanted Lucette my grandmother wanted Jeanette so they compromised Yer, right likes thats a great compromise )

Zib (who knows where this originated from I do know my sister was unnamed for ten days after leaving the hospital so it took them some time to come up with it, brilliant isnt it?)

Christopher, now i know this is not a strange name but consider what I said above by the time my brother was born guess how many Christophers there were in the family?
    Considering he is no longer a Saint it was probably fitting they named my brother this as he never really fitted the title

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale View Post
    Is it your name that is Helena, Geek the girl? If it is so we have one more thing in common, not just being Swedes
    Yep, that's me alright. It's always nice to meet a namesake, especially a Swedish one.

As for unimaginative parents, I have an old friend whose grandparents named their son and daughter (that would be her mom and uncle) after themselves. The names weren't weird or anything, but it just strikes me as a little odd - and a tad bit confusing. My fiancé and I have talked about using my name as a middle name if we should have a girl someday, but that's about as far as my egocentricity goes. Besides, and I'm sorry to report this, femmefatale, according to a site dedicated to Swedish names, our name is terribly uncool right now. Names from the early 1900's are all the rage right now, so I reckon it will be another, oh, eighty years or so before we can expect a Helena revival.

None of these names are particularly strange, but some people tend to look at me funny when I tell them that I want to name my future daughter Lydia, Judith, Ruth, or Iris. They're all old-fashioned names, but to me they have a certain earnest beauty to them. Also, there is a Lydia in two of my all-time favourite novels (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Swedish novelist Hjalmar Söderberg's The Serious Game), and my great-grandmother was called Iris. Stella is another favourite name, but since I named my cat, whom I hope will live to a very respectable age, just that, it's out of the question. I'm at a loss as to what I'd call my future son, though, which of course means I'll end up with three sons.

Newfherder, it's so cool that you've given your sons Scandinavian names. Does your son Bjorn get a lot of Björn Borg jokes?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    The strangest name I saw when I worked for the Department of Highway Safety was Disco Leon Short (a male). I don't know what the parents were smoking when they thought of it. Although it doesn't seem so weird compared to other names in this thread.

+ Reply to Thread