+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I like it, you might think it's weird (Names version)

I like Cillian, ClosetNerd. Like Cillian Murphy, who I've been madly crushing on since I saw Red Eye on Friday.

My MIL gave all her kids "J" names...to make it worse, she and my FIL also have "J" names. And then she wanted me to do the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Heaven, Stardust, Sunshine, Autumn and Contika.
    Gawd, that sounds like the Friday night lineup at a strip joint.

ETA - I'm just looking at Cillian Murphy's IMDB bio, and his sisters' names are Sile and Orla. And his son's name is Malachy.
    Last edited by AJane; 02-05-2006 at 07:54 PM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    My high school counselor was named Nard. And he had the mondo tuft of hair hanging out of the top of his shirt. It was hard to go into his office and have a serious discussion about your future.
    That chest hair thing makes me think of Larry on Three's Company

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    That chest hair thing makes me think of Larry on Three's Company
    Imagine that, times two and stark white. Quite distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post

Gawd, that sounds like the Friday night lineup at a strip joint.
    Maybe that's where their parents got their ideas. They were good cat names, though. Just not so good for little girls.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I like Cillian, ClosetNerd. Like Cillian Murphy, who I've been madly crushing on since I saw Red Eye on Friday.

OMG AJane, you saw it on Friday too? He won me over in 28 Days Later, but Red Eye sure sealed the deal. I like the name Cillian, as well as most Celtic-sounding names. Malachy just makes me think of that creepy kid from Children of the Corn, though; not the most pleasant association

Reading this thread seriously makes me question some people's parental abilities. I mean, part of the job description as a parent is to provide your child with a good start in life, and if you give your kid a name like Tessa Dick or many of the other names mentioned in this thread... well, one might argue that you're pretty much encouraging bullies all across America to go after your child.

Having said that, I'm all about beautiful and unusual names. Some people just seem to cross that line between "beautifully eccentric" and "bound to turn your kid into laughing stock". But then again, where is that line? I think my parents did a pretty good job coming up with suitable names for me and my siblings (Helena, Nina, and Daniel - not the most exciting of names, but since we travel a lot, it's good to be blessed with a name that most people know how to pronounce), but growing up, I sometimes longed for a more exotic name. I totally related to Anne of Green Gable's Cordelia fetisch - anything Romantic-sounding that evoked images of romantically beautiful girls with pale complexion and big, dreamy eyes was ideal, really. I've always been particularly fond of the name Delia, but I could list loads of other ideal names at one point of my life or the other. (Don't worry, I won't - that's a whole other thread.) Later on in my early teens, I was a huge River Phoenix fan, and I remember being in awe of the Phoenix clan's hippie-ish names. This was back when Joaquin - another great name! - went by Leaf. Today, I don't blame him for changing his name at all.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I don't think Marley is a weird name.
    LOL!!!!!! Me either.
    Marley isn't my real name, but I chose it as my user name because I know the cutest little girl with the name. I thought it was different. One of my pet peeves is popular over-used names.
    I made a thread about names a while back: Your first name

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I think my parents did a pretty good job coming up with suitable names for me and my siblings (Helena, Nina, and Daniel - not the most exciting of names, but since we travel a lot, it's good to be blessed with a name that most people know how to pronounce
    Is it your name that is Helena, Geek the girl? If it is so we have one more thing in common, not just being Swedes

I think my parents went with the same idea as well, my sister's name is Maria. We were both named after our parents' respective paternal grandmothers (and I was in a small way named after my Mum's middle name, the name she wished she had as a child). And as for middle names, our last name is so uncommon that our it's not needed.

Sorry to double post but I just remembered a weird names story I've heard (I don't know if it's true or not but if it's true it's kind of weird)

It was about a couple who got a daughter and the father named her what he thought was the most beautiful name in the world, My (which is a not uncommon name here in Sweden). When he got another daughter he didn't want to give her a name that he didn't like as much so he named her My as well. Like I said, I don't know if it's true but it must be very inconvenient to give your children the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    OMG AJane, you saw it on Friday too? He won me over in 28 Days Later, but Red Eye sure sealed the deal. I like the name Cillian, as well as most Celtic-sounding names. Malachy just makes me think of that creepy kid from Children of the Corn, though; not the most pleasant association
    You know, sometimes I miss the old Hottest Men thread, I would love to echo these sentiments on Cillian Murphy.

But back to the topic, ClosetNerd--funny you bring up the topic; the SnowMan and I were just discussing baby names this weekend and because he is of Irish stock and I have always appreciated Celtic culture, we have been considering some deeply Gaelic names that some people tell us will get our future children beaten up at school.

Among them were, yes, Cillian, Malachy (which I like, because it means "my angel," but hubby does not), Eamon, and a few others. For girls, Catriona, Ciara and I always loved the name Siobhan (but I know many Americans will have trouble pronouncing this).

Anyway, very funny stories everyone, this thread has had me in chuckles all morning--although I did wonder to myself, what if any of these people have it in mind to google themselves one day, and it brings them to this thread? Poor dears!
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 02-06-2006 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Typo Monster--Yaaaargh!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

That could be devastating.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread