+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I like it, you might think it's weird (Names version)

My married last name is Vangellow.. pronounced like Angelo with a V. When we got pregnant we jokingly though of all sorts of horrid matchups for that.. Orangello and Tangellow Vangellow being 2 of them As well as Mia Angelo Vangellow...

I just remembered as well, my husband knows a Girl called Kahailawatts. (unsure of the spelling) All I can think of is Lightbulbs or something.

Also, a boy he knew was named after the last name of the man who was his mothers boyfriend at the time.. years later when he was a teenager she re-met and married this man. He adopted her son and the last name was changed. Yup, the boys name is Dolan Dolan.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    OK, I just remembered another one. These super clever parents named their baby boy "Landon Atmos". Their last name was Fear. You figure it out. .
    It is comical how long it took me to figure that one out.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I'm still trying to figure it out.

ETA: Oh, wait, no, I get it. I also kind of like it.
    Last edited by Amanda; 02-04-2006 at 01:43 PM.

I worked at a mail order place for a while and we had a customer whose first name was Aquanette We all decided she probably had a sister named Whiteraine

I have a distant cousin who named her daughter Psyche because she liked the Cupid and Psyche story. BUT - they pronounced it like "pish" because well..... they were stupid. I can't imagine how hard it was for teachers on the first day of school to keep a straight face at roll time!

Back my my geneology, there are some great names. The one I love - but would never inflict on a child - is Prior Lee for a boy. It just sounds so cool. Of course, this part of the family was from the South and it was 1850. That probably wouldn't fly now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Back my my geneology, there are some great names. The one I love - but would never inflict on a child - is Prior Lee for a boy. It just sounds so cool. Of course, this part of the family was from the South and it was 1850. That probably wouldn't fly now.
    I like "Prior," Southern or not.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd View Post
    Yup, the boys name is Dolan Dolan.

My brother knew a guy in high school whose last name was "Doktor." After college, he went on to--ready?--medical school.

Today, he's Dr. Doktor. I wish I could make this stuff up, but I can't.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

There's a little boy in my town, my Mom knows his grandmother or something...anyway, his name is Mason-Dixon Lee. (as in, "south of the Mason-Dixon line")

I DO live in the South, but that name cracks me up.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

I also see lots of random kid names where I work as well. One time for summer camp we had a kid whose name was Harley Schoop (last name pronounced like shop). We kept waiting for this kid to get dropped off thinking his parents would be big burley bikers, but they were'nt. I guess they just liked the name Harley.

Harley Schoop looks good in print.

Well anyway, quite a few years ago I met some friends of neighbors during a backyard thingee and they had a boy about 5 or so and they kept calling him ASH. I generally like to use peoples full names like Roberto, Robert, Patrick etc., etc., (you get the idea) Well I called the kid and said ASHLEY come here. Dad says his name isn't ASHLEY, (I'm thinking like what else is there? ) I said well I presumed, Dad said (I kid you not) His name is ASHWAUBENON AUSTIN. I must have done a double take because Dad said they named him that because they were coming back from vacation in Crivitz WI and labor started in GUESS WHERE? yep, near AUSTIN Straubel airport. sorry about the long wind but it popped into my old brain. and I think their last name was something like Popadopoulos. YIKES! Ashwaubenon Austin Popadopoulous ????
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yardgnome77 View Post
    I also see lots of random kid names where I work as well. One time for summer camp we had a kid whose name was Harley Schoop (last name pronounced like shop). We kept waiting for this kid to get dropped off thinking his parents would be big burley bikers, but they were'nt. I guess they just liked the name Harley.
    My great-uncle's name was Harley Beard. He was a sweet old man, but the name always made me think of a grizzly biker with the long beard.

I think it's fun to see how people's chosen profession goes with their name. For example, around here there is a dentist named Dr. Fangman, and an OB/GYN named... Dr. Beaver.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast