+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For long term marrieds:fireworks at first meeting?

I couldn't agree more -respect is of utmost importance. So much so, that many people have it in their marriage vows.
    "Love, honor and respect..."

Good point ladies...I kinda assumed that one. But you know what assume means....it makes an aXX out of u and me. Thinking back, I could never find a guy that ran a 6/6. Until my current sweetie . We'll see what happens!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Good luck Miss Kitty. And beautiful stories everyone.

I met my husband at 19 when a friend of mine wanted to go skating at an indoor rink. She asked a male friend of hers to come with us and bring another friend. Basically, my husband was begged into coming with us. So he did. I thought he was cute, but kinda shy. What I did really like about him was how much he went out of his way to make everybody happy (he still does). There were no fireworks, but there were sparks when he touched me to direct me in the right direction. We have known each other for 11 years, married for almost four. The cute thing is that I now work in the building where the skating rink is. So everyday I am remembered of when I first met him.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    We have known each other for 11 years, married for almost four. The cute thing is that I now work in the building where the skating rink is. So everyday I am remembered of when I first met him.
    That is so sweet. I can just feel how that keeps happy memories alive.

I would like to add that an important element for a good relationship is FUN. Nothing makes someone your best friend like having fun with them once in a while, and your partner should absolutely be your best friend.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

No sparks. I met my wife at a party thrown by a mutual friend. She first noticed me when someone was drinking champagne out of my fly (don’t ask). We talked and danced later that night. She ended up ditching her date and we went for coffee and pie when the party broke up and then back to my place where we talked until all hours. We’ve been together 19 and half years, married for 14 and a half. No sparks, but it was a magical night.

When Mr Coz and I first met I liked his brother and he had a girlfriend. I thought he was nice, but that was about it. His brother went back to college (he'd been home for summer break) and Mr Coz and I became good friends. We talked all the time.

I told a good friend of mine when I realized that I was starting to really like him, that if we dated it would get serious and we'd probably end up married. Turns out he told a friend of his the same thing.

When we finally got it together and kissed that first time, wow. It was the sweetest kiss I'd ever had. I knew we'd get married and he did too. 6 weeks later we were engaged, and a year after we started dating we got married and have been for 13 years now.

We are best friends. I think the article is good, but one ingredient I see missing that we would never survive without is a great sense of humor. Laughter is such an important and often over-looked component.

giz
    I find it interesting that the vast majority of you in good relationships did not have the fireworks thing. Me and my ex (not divorced, but he left me and our young kids last month) always had fireworks! Just ka-boom. For both of us. I said to him some weeks after he told me was leaving (and a couple of weeks before he did leave; time lag due to not telling kids til after Christmas) "I thought we had something special because I feel really close to you" and he replied, "well you hypnotise me babe, you know you do, I just can't live with you". What? So the fireworks thing is not important. I had come to that conclusion on my own anyway, and it's good to have it confirmed. Next time I will not be hypotised (or enter into co-hypnotising relationships)! I am not a mouse, and will avoid all snakes in future.

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    I find it interesting that the vast majority of you in good relationships did not have the fireworks thing. Me and my ex (not divorced, but he left me and our young kids last month) always had fireworks! Just ka-boom. For both of us. I said to him some weeks after he told me was leaving (and a couple of weeks before he did leave; time lag due to not telling kids til after Christmas) "I thought we had something special because I feel really close to you" and he replied, "well you hypnotise me babe, you know you do, I just can't live with you". What? So the fireworks thing is not important. I had come to that conclusion on my own anyway, and it's good to have it confirmed. Next time I will not be hypotised (or enter into co-hypnotising relationships)! I am not a mouse, and will avoid all snakes in future.
    I love that saying, "I'm not a mouse and will avoid all snakes in future"!!

MrCoz and I have fireworks now, just not right off (well for me, guess I should ask him) I grew into them. Now I wonder why I didn't have that feeling at first. I do think fireworks are great, but I guess it's more important to be friends first.

A lot of people will have the fireworks based on looks too. This is not necessarily bad as you should like the way they look, but looks will change. If you are still hoping to be with them at 80yrs old, then realize they will have wrinkles. You better like something more than their looks!

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I love that saying, "I'm not a mouse and will avoid all snakes in future"!!

MrCoz and I have fireworks now, just not right off (well for me, guess I should ask him) I grew into them. Now I wonder why I didn't have that feeling at first. I do think fireworks are great, but I guess it's more important to be friends first.

A lot of people will have the fireworks based on looks too. This is not necessarily bad as you should like the way they look, but looks will change. If you are still hoping to be with them at 80yrs old, then realize they will have wrinkles. You better like something more than their looks!
    Sigh, wise words. Me and the (almost) ex had been together since I was 19 (and he was 23). Young enough,with us, not to know better than to committ to someone you really don't have a lot in common with. Well, not entirely true, at the time we shared the same politics and the same (bleak) outlook on life. Since then he's gone green (politics) on me, and I've become cheerful. We weren't friends first, and are having a darned hard time becoming friends now that he's moved out and cut off the physical stuff (too confusing, and he's probabaly right about that). Fireworks can't hold you together when there's other problems (in my case, his bad temper!).

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Fireworks can't hold you together when there's other problems
    That is SO TRUE. I've decided that fireworks is like icing on a cake. It's good. But the cake is good without it. Ever had a bowl of icing? It can make you sick. And, sooner or later, you're looking for the cake.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast