+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For long term marrieds:fireworks at first meeting?

FORT Regular
    Alright, well, i have only been married for 1 month, but there was definitely fireworks when we first met. I had been dating a guy for 2 1/2 and immediately told myself I had to break up with him for the guy who is now my husband. Like I said, we have been together for three and half years, but only married a month, so I guess you can't call me a long term marriage, but I can attest to fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom View Post
    I'm really interested in this. We all hope for fireworks when we first meet the one. So those of you who have been happily married for a few years or more: Were there fireworks when you met him/her?

Yes, I knew from the moment I saw him. Here we are 31 years,5 kids and 1 grandchild later I quess I was right... He claims he knew from the moment he met me I was his 'soulmate' He states he chased me until I caught him. I did play hard to get I must say... I knew the man needed a challenge. He was very used to women throwing themselves at him YUCK!!!when will women learn that men are hunters, they need a challenge. It is important to them that they know that they are worthy enough for you. It proves how special they are to have such a special and discriminating woman choose them above all others..jmho

FUN!!! I really liked my DH when we first met...I was his kids babysitter! He was a single dad raising 2 of his 4 kids (his ex left and only took 2). He was fun and a great dad but I wouldnt say there were fireworks. He was spooked by me (I am 8 years younger) and he didnt think he had a chance so he never tired. I had to finally tell him straight out I was interested. We went on our first date and I KNEW we would get married...and we did 3 months later. He says he wanted me from the get-go but was way to shy and scared he would get hurt. We had a horrid first few years of marriage (his ex is beyond evil and then our first child died) but 10 years later I love him more and more. I would say we had "chemistry" and a "connecetion" at the beginning but no one would have guessed we would get married and stay together! My family gave it less then 1 year.

after 23 years I can honestly say my first impression was "he's cute"..the second was "maybe I was wrong", the third was "he's a keeper"....

Does almost 25 yrs of marriage count
    I honestly didn't feel the attraction on the first meeting. Yes, I thought he was good looking, but I wasn't really looking or thinking at the time that this might be the one.

No fireworks. We were friends first. OK , I'll fess up. He was dating my close friend. Then she broke up with him and a year later we started dating. At that point, when he was "available" to me - there was major sparkage. Married 22 years. But my father always said he fell in love with my mother at first site. He waited to propose - til the second date. So it can happen either way.

We met 27 years ago through an introduction by my parents. He came to a party they gave just to meet me. I had already arranged with a girlfriend to go out with her if he was a dud. He showed up late because he got lost finding the house. As soon as I saw him at the door with his longish blond hair, blue eyes, lean muscular body, and handsomely rugged face . . I was a goner. I thought "physically, he is a real hottie". We sat and talked until 3 a.m. and both of us were so captivated by each other, we never noticed the time or who left the party. He was very intelligent (a must for me) and I am very emotionally stable (a must for him). Our rapport was evident.

Our first date was a week later and the fireworks were bursting at the first kiss. I called my girlfriend the next day and said I had met the man I was going to marry.

We are still madly in love and best friends. I'd rather spend time with him than anyone else. This was a second marriage for both of us and each of us had a child. The kids are gone living their own lives, we are grandparents, and are looking forward to retiring and traveling together all over the world.

My husband and I were friends for more than a year....in fact I had the biggest crush on one of his Frat brothers...he was dating a friend of mine, then one time he asked me out to a movie and we started dating for about a year before we were married...30 years ago this October, so no fireworks, but a steady growth in love and respect for each other!

***I am loving this thread!!***
    I wanted to share my parents story.
    Dad was 17, stationed at Fort Benning, Georgia. Mom was 15, a local girl, and had a boyfriend who was also stationed at the same Army base. Apparently, mom called the base looking for her boyfriend. My dad answered the phone, and said the guy wasn't there, but he would be glad to talk to her. They talked for a really long time. She asked his name. He gave her a fake name. He asked if they could meet. She said okay. They met the next day. Dad says he knew instantly that she was the one. He tried to fess up about his name. She didn't believe him. They married 3 months later. (Dang they married young back in those days!) They celebrated their 46th anniversary this month - and mom still calls him by the fake name.

I have been married almost 2 1/2 years and yes there were sparks when we first met. Met on a Friday at an FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) retreat weekend and by Sunday I was fighting pretty hard to keep the feelings under wraps. He and everyone else I know knew that we were going to get married after 2 months. It took me about 5 months to stop fighting my love for him. I just thought I would be one to get married. I had my career planned. I had never really dated a lot before him. Why was I about to let this person mess up all my career plans? (I was a senior and he was a freshman in college when we met ... I has grad from college 3 months after we met). God had other plans for me and we are so happy together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast