+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Men: Question about dating and children

Thanks again for your quick responses to my question. She has changed her bio and it reads much better. She switched around words and deleted out stuff, which I've included it below.

"About me: I'm someone who is creative, hard-working, kind-hearted, and fun. I'm a positive person and believe life's too short to not enjoy. I also have a great sense of humor and personality. If you're looking for someone who has that special sparkle, is adventurous, yet also enjoys quiet times, then look no further.

"The man I'm looking for has a myriad of wonderful qualities, which would include: someone who takes care of himself, takes pride in his work, loves life, is fun to be with, yet also have a serious side, is a responsible individual who has a sense of humor, someone who could be my best friend, and wants to build a serious relationship, even marriage. Most important, he must be honest and trustworthy. And there should be chemistry between us obviously to make a great relationship work. I'm ready for the next step, to find that special someone who would love me with his whole heart as I would him.

"Just to let you know from the start, I'm a single parent of a six-year-old child. Of course, he's the cutest, most awesome child in the whole world. Family values are important because that's where traditions are born and respected.

"Like I said earlier, I believe that special someone is out there and who knows it could be you."

She's posted about 8 pictures-2 which display her personality in some way. I've really apprecitate the comments, both negative and positive, because it helps me understand. And again she does know her choices are more limited. But she also doesn't believe she has to sacrifice and settle with just anyone for the sake of settling down.

I'll let her know about the different groups available, but where she lives, I don't think there are many single parent groups or like around.

Tvfanz, while the revised profile reads better, it is still border-line generic. It avoids most of the ususal cliches (although it has the dreadful "that special someone"), but reads more like a checklist than giving any insight into her personality. As others have suggested, read some of the other women's profiles, and learn from them.

I've read hundreds of profiles on Match, about 95% of which could have been written by the same person. I've found only a few that I thought were a match for me, and sent e-mails to those women. One woman responded. You have to blow off a lot of chaff to find the wheat.

Best of luck to your daughter!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Newfherder---She's read some profiles and found them most enlightening. I've passed this latest info to her and she says she'll read with a different eye this time. Thanks for your opinion. She'll delete "that special someone" because as she says--anyone will be her special someone when she meets him so why advertise for it. It's not needed.

To my private message: My daughter did change the wording a bit and it's cleaner and thanks for your encouragement.

tvfanz,

Good luck to your daughter. I believe there is someone for everyone. She sounds like a smart, articulate woman.

I remember before marriage, I met this guy and after 3 months of dating, he tells me he has something to tell me and that it is hard for him. I was prepared for him to tell me he was just released out of jail. Finally, he told me he had a son. I told him, "Thats it!!!" I was prepared for a weird disclosure which a child is totally not!!! I didnt mind his having a child. I didnt date him much longer though and it wasnt because of the child, it was because of the chemistry. As in, I had none for him.

I remember when I was dating, I really didnt want to date someone with kids. Forgive me but I thought it was just too much for me to handle. Its hard enough. BUT having said that, if I had fallen in love with someone who had children then so be it. I wouldnt avoid it...and I do love children.

Now, I am expecting my first child and children arent alien to me but believe me when you are single with no children the idea of someone elses children can seem so foreign and scary. The whole ex thing does too. Even though I love children, at that time, I wasnt prepared to deal with my own or anyone elses.

BUT like I said, if you meet someone special and they do have children, then its meant to be. Sorry if I seem like I am contradicting myself at times but I am just recalling what I felt like back then.
    Last edited by BlondieGirl; 01-26-2006 at 10:06 AM.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234