+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am moving into a camper

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar

I am moving into a camper

I am moving (with 2 kids and fiance) into a camper. We were looking at them to camp in and I decided that I was tired of paying bills and not getting anywhere so we decided to buy one to live in. We found a spot for it and are looking for just the right one to start us off with the option of trading up later. I know it sounds crazy but we are rarely home and the gas (heat) bill recently tripled and we cannot pay all of our bills. It has gotten beyond ridiculous and I am fed up. I like my job and think we have too much overhead. If we were a buisness we would've shut down before we opened. Any suggestions for the new life?
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

I would suggest a good sized one, especially with 2 kids. You'll probably go through lots of propane. My husband tore our walls of our camper out a few years ago and replaced the wood and insulation because it had water damage. There's not alot between you and the outside world. I'm not sure how you'll keep your pipes from freezing, because all of that stuff is open to the elements. I know they have stuff you can put into your tanks. I'm sure an RV dealer could help you with that stuff though. My brother lived in his motorhome while he was building his house. 4 of them and a dog. But they put it inside of a heated pole barn, seemed to work for them. I'm guessing they lived like that for about 4 or 5 months. (Without killing each other)
    Last edited by who_me?; 01-17-2006 at 09:20 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    Any suggestions for the new life?
    I have only one suggestion for you: whatever you do, stay connected to the Internet somehow, 'cause you're fun to have around here and we'd miss you if you couldn't get online!!!

Other than that I say a sincere CONGRATULATIONS on making your decision and I wish you all the very best of luck on this new adventure in life!!!

I think it can work just fine, and I knew of a couple of friends out west who did this same thing when their kids were still young.

I admire your willingness to try something different because no matter what happens, whether it works out for the long haul or not, you can always go back to a more conventional arrangement. You may find that this arrangement works great for your family, because I know it works for others.

So I say GO FOR IT, but just figure out a way to stay connected to the FORT!!!

Wow! What an amazing decision! What an adventure! Good for you to recognize the need for a major change so that your future is more certain, or financially stable for a while.

Take LOTS of pictures so you can laugh about them later, STAY CONNECTED to the FORT and your friends, and find a lovely warm snuggly place for all your pengins!!

Best of Luck JP
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I'm thinking you are going to need to downsize your belongings or store them someplace. You are going to want to the room as some of those get a bit cramped.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Best of luck to you! I knew a couple with 2 kids (5 and 1) who did this in the mid 1990s and it got very old very quickly for a number of reasons, I do hope that it works out for you.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thanks everybody. I still have the net at work so I will be ok. We have already discussed the downsizing of belongings and the dealer gave us good tips about heat tape and such. We went to a local who grew up in the same town and he gave us a good deal cause his grandfather was one of Jafo's teachers as a kid. I think we picked a good one. A 1993 Coachman Catalina pull behind. 32 feet long. The boys have a huge room and the living room is spacous. I think for the money we will save it will be well worth it. Or, like Pom said we can always change our minds. We have space heaters to cut down on propane usage and are going to plastic the windows and put straw bales and underpining underneath. The dealer said straw works best. We will be hooked to water and sewer and electric so it's not like we are in BFE somewhere with nothing. There is a huge lake for fishing/swimming in and lots of woods and cornfields. I am actually excited. What a redneck, huh? I just want to be able to save money and who knows...I might just be crazy enough to like it! We figured we camp every chance we get anyway, so why not. A camper is better than the tent we use to actually camp. Well, thanks and I'll let you know how things work out.

32 foot long......Very Niiiiiicccce! I'm sure things will work out fine. Just one piece of advice - keep an eye on the heat tape - neighbors lost their house because of heat tape - but knowing them it was probably 20 years old and not in good condition. Sounds like a great adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by who_me? View Post
    32 foot long......Very Niiiiiicccce! I'm sure things will work out fine. Just one piece of advice - keep an eye on the heat tape - neighbors lost their house because of heat tape - but knowing them it was probably 20 years old and not in good condition. Sounds like a great adventure!
    Thanks for the great advice! I think we are actually doing the right thing by moving in durning the winter. That way we have been through the worst of it already. Thanks for all of your support on my crazy idea!!
    Last edited by JAFO'S PRINCESS; 01-18-2006 at 11:44 AM.

ooooh it sounds nice actually. you want some company?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast