+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am moving into a camper

I hope JAFOS PRINCESS is doing well in prep for this move. It really, after thinking about it is a great idea. ArchieComic Fan has the best part about if you don't like the neighborhood anymore, pack up & move.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Back at work after a week off to move into the camper and it's great. I love it. It took 3 days to figure out the furnace and we accidently stopped up the toilet and I had to "fix" it but it has been a blast!! Thanks guys!
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Great! Keep us updated with how things are going.

FORT Newbie
    Jafo's Princess, I found this on a google search, and I read this and was excited! I am about to do the EXACT same thing. I have a wife and 2 kids, and we make good money, but bills just keep getting deeper and deeper. After our ky light bill went from an average of 110 to 450 +, it was time. Not to mention I leave an hour from my work, and driving cost alot. We will be closer in the camper. We have been thinking of this for 2 years now, and we are going for it. As of march the 15 or so, we will move out of our house, (we rent at 800 a month) and into our camper! Kids are ok with it, and we can pay off EVERYTHING in 2 years or less! (one year if we suffer and do without some things we want, not need) You would not believe how much money can be saved by doing this. The numbers add up. We may trade in the current 24 ft for a larger one with double slide. Parents have a 32 ft camper and are willing to trade us for a while. May do that.
    SO, in short, how are things? Can you tell me the right way to do this now that you are moved in? I know I will forget something, over look something, and advice would be wonderful!
    Last edited by klloyd; 02-07-2006 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klloyd View Post
    Jafo's Princess,
    Darlin, I missed what you had to say. If you would, could you repeat yourself? Thank-you and to the fort!

FORT Newbie
    I failed to mention that I will have to buy propane VERY soon, and that is a BIG tank, no telling how much that will cost!!

I have a tall skinny (30 gal?) propane tank and it was $50 to get it filled. It is a portable jobbie and the guy hooked it up to his tank to fill it. In the small town I live in it is cheaper to go to a Co-op or something than to trade tanks. We ended up buying a 33 ft. and it has bunk beds in back and a queen bed in the middle. We also bought an old van that barely runs to store things like winter/summer clothes so that they would be out of the way but not gone. We went from $600 rent, $200+ gas, $75 electric and $50 water and sewer bill a month to $200 rent plus propane cost. I am in hog heaven!!! oh, and if you have a houshold type propane tank it will prolly cost around $300 to fill but it will last forever. GOOD LUCK!

FORT Newbie
    The tank is 300 gal, or 500 gal, huge thing burried in the ground. When we moved in , it was on 50%, and when we move out it must be that again. So that is going to be our last "big" bill.
    We live in Shelbyville ky now, and are moving closer to Louisville. It looks as if the rent will be 450 or less, including everything. IE, trash, electric, water, sewer. Propane sales on site at a few places. So our bills will be cut more than in half, and our lives a little closer! We are a close family, but I dont know if this close is going to cut it. But we are going to give it our 120% best! I hope to make it happen, but if it dont, we can always go back. We may try the camper we have for a while, and if we save enough money, and it looks like all will be ok, we will upgrade to a larger one. That is the talk anyway.
    Hope things go well!

That is what we discussed too. We figured that we could get what we could afford now and if we like doing the camper thing we could always trade up later. The big thing we found was that the boys having their own room really helps cause we have zero living room. There is enough room in their space for a dresser for them and I put their tv and vcr on top of it so they can go back there and drag all their toys out while watching Rugrats and Spongebob for endless hours if they like. I also think that Jafo and I haaving our own space has made things alot easier. We are in a campground that offers year round/monthly rates. Back in the boonies surrounded by fields and woods. It's great.

ETA: We camp all summer (in a tent) and hike and stuff so for us winter would have been the hardest time but so far we are doing good. And we haven't figured the hot water heater out yet.....boiling dish water. So given all the problems we are mucking through (we both know zero about campers) we are doing great. But we have a good attitude and usally end up laughing at our problems. (like Sunday when the potty stopped up and I stuck the toilet brush in to see if I could clear it and the handle broke off so I had to pull it out) barf. But the toilet was unstopped!! So far it's been super fun.
    Last edited by JAFO'S PRINCESS; 02-07-2006 at 08:20 AM.

JafosPrincess Thanks for keeping us updated on your adventure. You may not have time, but think of jotting down a few funnies about your experiences (like the toilet) in a book. It will be a nice reminder to enjoy in the future when reminiscing.

Good luck as well klloyd

BTW, is there a difference between a "camper" and a trailer in a trailer park? I'm a city girl who's never even camped, so I'm trying to imagine what you are living in. A camper to me is on wheels and is not permanent. A trailer is basically secured on a parcel of land.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast