+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: skin care

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: skin care

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2881395;
    My skin isn't as bad as it used to be, but I do still have a few areas where I tend to break out. At times I have an oily-ish t-zone, but dry skin everywhere else. I'm slowly combatting the problem with a lot of AVON skin care products. Darn it, when to the zits/pimples stop? .
    Have you tried going on a birth control pill? Once we get into our 20's (I'm the same age as you) the acne is usually from hormones and the pill can really help control the hormones. I've been on it for years to control my acne and it makes it a lot better; but, I do still use acne cream because I get a few big pimples a month, the week before my period.

*sticks fingers in ears and runs from thread* I can't hear you, I cant hear you!!!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4178690;
    *sticks fingers in ears and runs from thread* I can't hear you, I cant hear you!!!
    Sorry, I had to throw it out there.

Gosh, I wish I could help. I have fairly good skin just by the grace of God through genetics. Both my grandmother and mother had great skin. I do have blackheads and use the Biore strips!

I'm 50 now, and I've started using a serum from Philosophy called "When Hope Is Not Enough" Ain't that a fitting title? I use it twice a day, and I can really tell a difference in the firmness and texture of my face and neck. I also use RareEssentials facial moisturizer, which is supposed to have fewer man-made ingredients, but who knows?. And since I have somewhat oily skin, I broke down this past year and bought a Clarisonic cleanser (pricey, but I LOVE it!)

I tried some pricey things from L'Oreal, Revlon, and such. It would usually make me break out in a reddish rash or I'd get a bump here or there, so I guess they were too harsh.

I was a young lady of the 70's, and I (like my mother) was a sun worshipper! The darker the better in those days. My skin care regimen at that time consisted of baby oil in the sun to make me darker, yikes! Fortunately, I stopped sunning in my mid-20's, so I might have been able to stave off more damage than my mom. I have one darkish spot on my cheek, but it's lightened up in the past year or so...could be the serum, I don't know.

Now my dearly departed grandmother had the skin of a china doll. She never went out in the sun, seriously! She wore a hat or limited her exposure entirely - it was pure vanity because she "freckled" so in the tanning era, she was ivory. AND she never used soap on her face, which I couldn't believe when she told me. All of her life, she cleaned her face with cold cream and a soft cloth. Would that work for everyone? Probably not, but all I know is when she died at 69 she barely had a wrinkle on her face, and it was almost transluscent. Lovely! (she never wore makeup either)

Bottom line: I wish I could help. My son has acne, which I never had to deal with, but I refuse to delve too far into the pharmaceutical arena for that. I'm hoping it'll clear up on its own. I just preach, cleanse, cleanse some more, and drink more water.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4178762;
    Gosh, I wish I could help. I have fairly good skin just by the grace of God through genetics. Both my grandmother and mother had great skin.
    I'm 50 now, and I've started using a serum from Philosophy called "When Hope Is Not Enough"
    I tried some pricey things from L'Oreal, Revlon, and such. It would usually make me break out in a reddish rash or I'd get a bump here or there, so I guess they were too harsh.
    Philosophy always has the very best names for their products.

I agree that genetics play a huge part in how your skin looks and ages. Being 100% Italian, I have thick Mediterranean skin, suited perfectly for So Cal weather. Everyone in the family has great skin. Personally, I've tried all kinds of creams, serums and potions to hold off the effects of old age. Not long ago, I allowed myself to be talked into buying the extremely expensive cream Creme de la Mer.

I have never had much of a problem with zits or acne, even in teen years and I started waking up each day with bumps and pimples on my face!!
    Realized it must be that the cream was just too heavy, returned it to Nordstrom's and went back to my trusty old Avon products. They really produce a great skin care line, always are advanced in their science and research and it has a fantastic low price.
    And no more breakouts!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4178762;
    My son has acne, which I never had to deal with, but I refuse to delve too far into the pharmaceutical arena for that. I'm hoping it'll clear up on its own. I just preach, cleanse, cleanse some more, and drink more water.
    Hi SM---if your son has bad acne you really should consider a dermatologist...those teen male hormones can make a kid's life miserable ("pizza face" anyone?), and are beyond what the ladies usually ever had to deal with. There are some treatments that make a huge difference nowadays. Plus a bad case can cause large permanent scars, and not in a cool German dueling scar way.
    Of course if he just has a few zits the water and washing is probably good enough. But if it's bad and you want him to date in his teen years I'd go to a pro.
    For people in their 30's who have not had acne since their teen years and suddenly are getting it again...you may have rosacea....an infection they think. Look it up on WIkipedia. There are a couple of prescription creams that clear it up right away....unfortunately you have to use them the rest of your life...if you stop it comes back (as I found out when I ran out on a long trip), and then you've selected for the most resistant little bugs and have to step up to stronger meds. If you don't treat it eventually you get a WC Fields nose and broken cheek and nose blood vessels that make you look like an alcoholic. A friend clued me in that that was what I had...am ever grateful to her!

SugarMama We had to go the pharmaceutical route with my son's acne. His wasn't caused by diet or lack of cleanliness.
    It was well worth the time and money spent.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4179467;
    SugarMama We had to go the pharmaceutical route with my son's acne. His wasn't caused by diet or lack of cleanliness.
    It was well worth the time and money spent.
    I've read some scary things about some of the meds, though! His pediatrician gave him a cream, but it's not cleared him up totally. He has red spots, but not the white "things' -- heck, I don't even know the terminology!!!!

His face is smooth, just those little red blotches. I've seen worse. Do you think it goes away on its own as the hormones settle down? I've seen grown men with pitted faces, and I don't want THAT for him!

He's such a gosh-darn good-looking guy, too...if his face were totally clear I'd have to lock him in his room and feed him through a slot in the wall! (jk)
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

It was my son's pediatrician who put him on the meds. His was so severe it was on his face, back,chest and scalp. We tried the creams first (several different kinds) and "outgrowing" and nothing worked. Believe me, I was terrified after all the research I had done. I would have never put him on the meds, if I hadn't had complete confidence in his doctor and if there had been any other options. It was the right choice for us.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4180530;
    It was my son's pediatrician who put him on the meds. His was so severe it was on his face, back,chest and scalp. We tried the creams first (several different kinds) and "outgrowing" and nothing worked. Believe me, I was terrified after all the research I had done. I would have never put him on the meds, if I hadn't had complete confidence in his doctor and if there had been any other options. It was the right choice for us.
    Whew, that sounds like a bad case! Fortunately, my son's isn't that bad. Did it work as expected? How long does/did he have to take it?

+ Reply to Thread