+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: skin care

Re: skin care

Jumping in here, when I had surgery my doctor told me to start using Vitamin E oil 3 weeks after. I got a small bottle of it at Walmart for about $5 and still use it.

My favorite eye cream is Oil of Olay Total Effects. I could tell an almost immediate difference in those little wrinkles around my eyes when I started using it.

JavaJo - you make me want to start using Noxema again. I've used cold cream to clean my face sometimes on days when I have a lot of makeup on and my skin always seems to look and feel better the next day.

Hi Rattus-- not trying to argue with you, but I honestly think this time it was the slow rubbing of a mixture of vaseline and good face lotion that helped my face that time. I've lived in the Virgin Islands and had bad sunburns on my face before where my face was so 'ruffled' I couldn't even think of putting makeup on. This last trip was just a vacation and I was alittle older (56) and we were down there longer so I had more time to just sit out on the balcony reading and rubbing the vaseline/lotion in my face. My face didn't peel completely--- but ALL the pores were in fabulous shape, just tiny! Even in the places my skin never peeled, but I still had rubbed lotion in. (I do know what you're talking about with the chemical peel,tho.)

My mother always took something like Ponds cream and a soft washcloth and would carefully take her make up off at night. She would carefully smooth the makeup (along with the ponds) off with the cloth. When she was finished her face would be smooth and clean. I never thought much about it while growing up and I'm not sure she rinsed with water-- just can't remember now-- I'll ask her when I talk to her. I'm not exaggerating when I say her skin truly looks like it's a woman in her 40's or 50's and she's 78. No crows feet, not a big line from nose to mouth, nothing but smooth skin. She also rubbed the Ponds down her neck and then would rub a moisterizing lotion into her neck good before going to bed. I can just remember her slowly doing this as I'd talk to her or whatever I was doing. Too bad she didn't stress to me the importance of what she was doing! You need patience for this routine,tho,it's not a quick thing. (Oh and she LOVES to drink water, so she's always drank tons of water all day-- I've heard this is a plus)

Not to ramble on and bore anyone-- but one other thing my mother did that I wish I'd known about: She recently told me that for YEARS she has done an exercise where you stand a couple of feet from a wall, place you hands on the wall about shoulder height and with elbows out do 'push ups' against the wall for as long as you need. You should see her arms!! She has beautifully shaped upper arms, while I'm getting the 56 yr old 'jiggle'. She can very comfortably wear no sleeves and look really good. It's depressing to look older than your 78 yr old mother! (Not that I look 78-- It's just that she looks about 50!)

One more thing--- anyone know of a SURE FIRE way to get rid of puffiness under the eyes? I know about the Preparation H trick-- but it makes my eyes water. If anyone knows of something they've used that actually works, I'd greatly appreciate knowing about it! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix;3917290;
    One more thing--- anyone know of a SURE FIRE way to get rid of puffiness under the eyes? I know about the Preparation H trick-- but it makes my eyes water. If anyone knows of something they've used that actually works, I'd greatly appreciate knowing about it! Thank you.
    Yves Rocher Soothing Anti-Puffiness Eye Gel
    Soothing Anti-Puffiness Eye Gel,Sensitive Skin,Care By Skin Types: Yves Rocher
    I have insanely sensitive/allergic skin, and this is the only stuff that both works AND doesn't irritate my eyes. In the summer, I like to store it in the fridge -- it makes a wonderful treatment for after a day's worth of teaching in the sun.

I LOVE the Yves Rocher products: they're always on special at one time or another, so they cost much less than department store brands, and often less than drugstore brands. And they work. Really, really well.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Thank you so much Ellen! I will try that-- and that's a good idea to keep it cool in the fridge,too. (wish I had read this a couple of hours earlier. I was just at the mall getting my husband a dress shirt for a wedding we're going to attend tomorrow and I could have picked some up! I'm trying the ol' Prep H again tonight, hopefully it won't make my eyes water tomorrow evening. My eyes are super sensitive,too.)

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix;3917776;
    Thank you so much Ellen! I will try that-- and that's a good idea to keep it cool in the fridge,too. (wish I had read this a couple of hours earlier. I was just at the mall getting my husband a dress shirt for a wedding we're going to attend tomorrow and I could have picked some up!
    As far as I know, Yves Rocher (in the US) only markets via direct mail, phone, and Internet sales, alas! So this info wouldn't have been helpful for the mall. I don't know, though, if YR products are available in stores in Canada or France, though. (HQ is in Paris; North America HQ is in Québec.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3918185;
    As far as I know, Yves Rocher (in the US) only markets via direct mail, phone, and Internet sales, alas! So this info wouldn't have been helpful for the mall. I don't know, though, if YR products are available in stores in Canada or France, though. (HQ is in Paris; North America HQ is in Québec.)
    Oh, okay then I'll see if I can find it online, or on their website. We just got back from the wedding. Big outside affair at a pavilion overlooking a lake. Beautiful! I used the Preparation H (very carefully) and it really reduced the puffiness around my eyes. I even rubbed some in under my neck last night while watching tv, then blotted it VERY good, then powdered my neck with body powder. Sounds gross, but when I woke up this morning it had really shrunk up my neck area! Quick fix, I know, but until I get back on Weight Watchers and drop a few, I need all the quick fixes I can get.

If the puffiness is a morning thing that goes away during the course of the day, I've read that there's an exercise to get the fluid moving out of the pouches... make "The Scream" face (eyebrows up, mouth wide open) and then relax - several times. I have the worst under eye puff on mornings that I swim because the goggles reinforce the indentation under the puff.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3918401;
    If the puffiness is a morning thing that goes away during the course of the day, I've read that there's an exercise to get the fluid moving out of the pouches... make "The Scream" face (eyebrows up, mouth wide open) and then relax - several times. I have the worst under eye puff on mornings that I swim because the goggles reinforce the indentation under the puff.
    Thanks Gutmutter--I will try that! Seems like I will try anything, pretty much, if I will put Prep H on my face...

Has anyone tried the new Clinique age spot remover that's being heavily advertised? I finally broke down and got some ($$$!!!) because I have a dark pigmented spot the size of a dime between the outer corner of my right eye and my cheekbone. I haven't noticed anything yet, but it's only been a week and it says 4 weeks. I always get more than I need, so put the extra on my larger "freckles".
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread