+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: skin care

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: skin care

Does it work on "old" scars or only if you put it on when the scar is fresh? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3874278;
    Does it work on "old" scars or only if you put it on when the scar is fresh? Thanks,
    To the best of my knowledge, it only works on fresh scars - it helps the skin heal properly. Old scars are already healed as much as they're going to.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Yeah, I think Rattus is right. I've never heard of it working on old scars.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3873958;
    I've bought it in the pharmacy section at Wal-Mart. It's there with the other vitamins. The bottle will last you forever since it only takes a little bit each time you apply it. Not sure if it would work on sun spots but it's so inexpensive, it's worth the try. Good luck.
    I just thought I'd mention that if you can't find a bottle, you can puncture the gel capsules and use the oil inside. Vitamin E definitely works. I even used it on a dry, patchy spot on my dog and it went away --- not the dog --- the dry spot. .
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

The vitamin E oil tip reminded me of another one... If any of you ladies are expecting....baby oil is magic! I used it with all three of my pregnancies and have zero stretch marks. I got bigger than a house with that last one, too...
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

This may sound a little strange and definately not something that is readily available in most stores, but I have been using pure triple refined Emu Oil for the last week. If you google it you will see it has many, many uses. One of the first things I noticed was, I have a year old scar mark on the side of my jawline where I had a cyst removed. The cut and stitches left small but weird looking scars. I first used Organic Apple Cider vinegar, which reduced them some. The ACV also reduced a shaving scar on the back of my leg...until I cut it in the SAME exact place again. LOL. Anyway, the Emu Oil has just about completely erased the scarring I have from the cyst removal. I am going to start putting the oil on my shaving scar and see if it helps. I also have a problem with breaking out in tiny water like blisters in between my fingers and toes. I can't pinpoint what is causing the reaction other than most soaps, body washes and lotions. Anyway, these little blisters that I get were the reason I decided to try Emu Oil. Almost all the blisters are now gone and no new ones coming up. I am SO happy. While nobody could really see these blisters, I could feel them and it annoyed me. I do believe I will be an Emu Oil user for a long time as it is the only "oil" that it seems I can use on my skin and not break out. I have even started making my own soap. Glycerin soap with emu oil, honey and oatmeal all mixed together seems to be helping also.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I second getting vitamen e to help speed up scarring, or even speed healing of boo-boo's. I used to buy them in capsules, puncture one with a pin and use just a bit on the boo-boo, rubbing it in really good as I watched tv or read. I began to notice the capsules weren't in the regular place I put them (on my nightstand) and couldn't figure out where they would go. Then I started discovering the used capsules chewed and drained of the vitamen e in different locations around my house! Apparently my cat discovered vitamen e and LOVED it. I had to hide them after that. Actually I'd give them to her as treats sometimes, she loved them so.

I read in a doctors article that it really didn't matter what you rubbed on either your skin or directly on a booboo, it was the rubbing that was actually doing the healing and getting oxygen flowing in the affected area and hastening healing. It said plain old vaseline was just as good as the most expensive creams or oils--- all you needed to do was spend the time rubbing it in and helping your skin get oxygenated. A couple of years ago we were vacationing in the Virgin Islands and I got severely sunburned on my face. I remembered this article and just globbed vaseline on my face and sat out on the deck reading books and slowing rubbing the vaseline in-- all over my face all day long. You wouldn't BELIEVE how clear and pore free my face became after about 3 days. I was actually afraid it would give me huge pores since I'm alittle oily complexioned and my pores are starting to show up more at 56, but instead it had the opposite effect! I wish I had the time and patience to do that every day. After I got through all the peeling, my skin looked fantastic.

I second drinking water and not using soap on your skin. My mother is 78 and looks maybe 50. She's always drank water all day long and never put soap on her face. She also puts a face cream on at night, and a lighter one in the morning. I'm 56 and my face looks older than hers. It's frustrating. She also avoided the sun, while I was of the generation that put on babyoil and iodine and baked myself. I hate drinking water, and I've always used soap--- so I guess I'm striking out all the way around. At least I didn't smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix;3910594;
    I second drinking water and not using soap on your skin. My mother is 78 and looks maybe 50. She's always drank water all day long and never put soap on her face. She also puts a face cream on at night, and a lighter one in the morning. I'm 56 and my face looks older than hers. It's frustrating. She also avoided the sun, while I was of the generation that put on babyoil and iodine and baked myself. I hate drinking water, and I've always used soap--- so I guess I'm striking out all the way around. At least I didn't smoke.
    How did she manage this? Did she not wear makeup? Did she use makeup and just remove it with plain water?

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3911557;
    How did she manage this? Did she not wear makeup? Did she use makeup and just remove it with plain water?
    My grandmother never used soap, either. She always washed her face with Noxema. Her skin was gorgeous. She died in her 90's and could pass for 70.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix;3910594;
    A couple of years ago we were vacationing in the Virgin Islands and I got severely sunburned on my face. I remembered this article and just globbed vaseline on my face and sat out on the deck reading books and slowing rubbing the vaseline in-- all over my face all day long. You wouldn't BELIEVE how clear and pore free my face became after about 3 days. I was actually afraid it would give me huge pores since I'm alittle oily complexioned and my pores are starting to show up more at 56, but instead it had the opposite effect! I wish I had the time and patience to do that every day. After I got through all the peeling, my skin looked fantastic.
    Sadly it is the peeling that made your skin look fantastic, not the rubbing. A couple of times I've had severe allergies to some cosmetic product that made my face dry out and peel (I was hideous for about a week), but once all the peeling was over, my skin looked better than it has ever looked - smooth and poreless. It's the same concept as a chemical peel. Look like crap for a week, look fantastic for a couple of months.

I was flipping channels last night and landed on Dr. Oz. He was doing a segment on home remedies and this woman came on with her recipe for flawless skin. Take about six aspirins and crush them in lemon juice. Smear on your face and leave until dry. Remove it with a paste made of baking soda and water on a cotton pad. Rinse. The doctor's panel of experts said YES, this is a useful home remedy. Someday I'm going to give it a whirl.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread