+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: skin care

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: skin care

I've got rosecea as well....a friend who had it told me that's what it was, so I went to a dermatologist, and sure enough. That was a relief in a way... I'd had pimples as a teen, that stopped during a year I lived in a very sunny place, and then then started coming back years later. It is definitely aggravated by spicy foods, heat, alcohol... I guess anything that brings the blood to your face. You look soused after half a glass of wine, and if you have it badly and don't do something about it you wind up with a WC Fields nose even if you don't really drink much. Back when I was first diagnosed they said it was caused by a permanent skin infection which could be kept under control with topical creams...prescription creams...to which eventually the bacteria or whatever would develop resistance, then you move on to another one, and eventually to streptomycin taken internally. I have to say the creams worked wonders (on my second one now), although I still flush easily in heat and with alcohol. No more pimples though! I imagine changing your internal flora and sugar levels could make things less hospitable for whatever causes it... so not surprising that some of the things suggested here work.
    mrd, I use the most basic Oil of Olay product on my face and hands twice a day and have for years, and definitely look younger than my age skin wise. I also avoid "soap"....use Dove or Camay once a day, just wipe off make up and dirt at night and cream up. In the last few years I use Oil of Olay eye cream...in a minature sort of squirt bottle thingy... definitely more expensive than the basic stuff. I also use an aloe cream....giant bottle of something from Vaseline I think. Anything with aloe and/or lanolin works wonders. Really heals up your skin.
    Overall I wash with a goat's milk soap--I know, sounds like Cleopatra... but your skin feels so smooth afterwards; an acquaintance who had a job washing elderly people at a nursing home (all day in the showers with them basically) whose skin was a mess on her arms started using it and it completely healed her up. I order it...a little expensive if you just order one bar because of shipping, but if you like it you can get a number of bars at once. I just get the plain version, but it also comes with lavender, etc. "Free range" hand milked goats, too! And cute goat pictures on the website! sally b. farms is the website.
    sweet_lady---there are lot of warnings about Retin-A and pregnancy...causes skull mutations in fetal rats. So not recommended if you are or could become pregnant. According to Wikipedia it also is a good idea to avoid waxing for hair removal as the skin is so thin after using it....
    Last edited by PWS; 04-03-2010 at 04:43 PM.

PWS, I too have rosecea and after alot of online reading, and spending money on creams, I decided to identify which foods make it flare up because I understand it is different for everyone. Its been a long process, however I now know what foods I should stay away from. Of course its everything I love!

I also discovered, blueberry juice makes a huge difference. I also tried blueberry pills from the health store but that didn't do anything. I have approx 1 cup of blueberry juice every evening, what a difference.

I'm looking forward to having fresh blueberries again. They were available during the winter but far to expensive. When they are available, I have a couple tablespoons of blueberries in my morning cereal as well as the juice in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3869024;
    I'm looking forward to having fresh blueberries again. They were available during the winter but far to expensive. When they are available, I have a couple tablespoons of blueberries in my morning cereal as well as the juice in the evening.
    We stock up on blueberries during their season and freeze bags and bags of them - lay them out on a cookie sheet in the freezer, then sack 'em up once frozen (prevents clumping). That takes care of that nasty overpriced/underflavoured issue you have to deal with in the winter.

And on the subject of skin care, I have always had really oily skin, but now that I'm well into middle-age I need a moisturizer to take care of the dry flaky surface. I've used many brands but have got it down to three, depending on the time of year. I use L'Occitane's Shea SPF 20 during the spring and fall when there is a hint of moisture in the air, L'Occitane's Immortelle Precious Fluid if some sort of moisturizer becomes necessary during the height of summer, and, believe it or not, unscented Curel during the driest parts of the year. I've been using it for years and am really pleased with how it treats me skin. In fact, people generally think that I'm ten years younger than I am, and that is not entirely due to my general level of immaturity.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus, thanks for the freezing tip. I purchased frozen blueberries once, it was a waste of money, but I bet buying them fresh and freezing them as you mentioned, would be perfect!

P.S. Our level of maturity, decreases as age increases.

Definitely skip those nasty frozen blueberries from the grocery and freeze your own. I picked two gallons (!) last summer and froze half - they're still delicious. If only strawberries froze as well.

Can anybody recommend a good cream/lotion/whatever to help reduce scarring? I broke my leg about a month ago and have 7 ugly little incisions on my knee and ankle where they stuck the rod and screws in (I really did a number on it ). I'd prefer not to look like Frankenstein in shorts this summer - I've started putting straight cocoa butter on them, but don't know if that's best. Any suggestions?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

waywyrd, use Vitamin E oil. It's awesome for reducing scarring. You can find it with the vitamins in any pharmacy and apply it a few times a day. I used it on my face once after taking a dive from a skateboard(don't ask ) and again after a brown recluse bite. The huge scrape on my face left no scar at all(thanks to the Vitamin E) and the brown recluse scar looks like a cigarette burn...but it's the color of my skin and not dark the way it started out before I used the Vitamin E oil.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

waywyrd! thanks for the added comments on freezing blueberries. I'm excited to hear that they freeze well.

lildago, Vitamin E oil, is that purchased at a health store or any pharmacy? I have a brown spot on my forehead. If I get too much sun, I get sun spots, they all go away, except one! I'm wondering if Vitamen E Oil would work. I have tried various other creams, which did nothing.

I've bought it in the pharmacy section at Wal-Mart. It's there with the other vitamins. The bottle will last you forever since it only takes a little bit each time you apply it. Not sure if it would work on sun spots but it's so inexpensive, it's worth the try. Good luck.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3873958;
    I've bought it in the pharmacy section at Wal-Mart. It's there with the other vitamins. The bottle will last you forever since it only takes a little bit each time you apply it. Not sure if it would work on sun spots but it's so inexpensive, it's worth the try. Good luck.
    would vitamin e oil work on acne scars?

Thanks lildago. I'll have to try it, and see if it helps!

+ Reply to Thread