+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: skin care

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Re: skin care

Oh, by the way - if you're looking for non-greasy moisturizer that is fragrance-free, I highly recommend the Mary Kay Formula 1 moisturizer. I can't use things with fragrance due to allergies, so I swear by this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3804083;
    . . . I've been afraid to 'experiment' with no knowledge of a product because they eye area is so sensitive. I tried once and the product made the area burn. Not fun.
    The Yves Rocher products are first ones I tried that didn't make my eyes irritated, itchy, teary, and blotchy -- and the only ones I can afford to use regularly. They've been a real godsend. A lot of other products labeled "hypoallergenic" -- expensive and inexpensive -- still irritated my skin.

My sister once sent me an eye cream from some shopping channel -- I think the brand is Wei East? It worked well, too, but at $35 for a 20g tube, I couldn't continue to use it regularly. (But it was a really nice product!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Ellen, I've learned over the years that the stuff you can buy at Walgreens and Walmart is just as effective as expensive mall cosmetic counter brands. I stopped buying those awhile ago. And nothing beats Wet and Wild lipstick...lol. I'm willing to pay more if the product actually works better, but I've found that it doesn't.

Fierce, I'm severely allergic to all things Mary Kay. It gives me a rash. The only thing I've found I can use is the hand scrub they have and I LOVE it. It's amazing.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Newbie

Get a hydrafacial!

The doctor that I work for also owns a medical spa. One of their greatest skin treatments is the hydrafacial. It's sort of like microdermabrasion, but more relaxing. A little blade inside the attachment scrubs your face while light suction takes all the mess out of your pores while infusing your skin with moisturizers. You actually can physically see what was extracted at the end. You face will feel like a baby's butt afterward and you will have a very nice glow. I'm sure you could find a medical spa in your area that offers it!
    Last edited by hepcat; 01-21-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3803837;
    Lucky JavaJo! In the last year I have suddenly gotten many red blotches on my arms, chest and face....... most likely from sun exposure as a kid and young adult. Nothing I do will make them go away and while most people don't even notice them, I agonize over them constantly. There are bleach creams I can use to minimize the redness but the doctor says nothing will help them go away completely. I've gained 30 lbs in the last year so being overweight has stretched my skin to show the imperfections that were hiding just below the surface. My arms and chest I guess I can deal with....... the blotch on the side of my face that popped up 2 months ago I cannot deal with very well. I'm told that if I go out in the sun with sunscreen on and get a slight tan, they will will not look so large but other than that, I'm stuck with them. Being told that this is just a part of aging really pisses me off. I'm only 36 for crying out loud!
    buglover, I developed red blotches on my face in the last couple of years. I didn't know what was causing it, sometimes it was really bad, it would go away, then come back. I've always been lucky with my skin and never really had problems.

The last 6 months or so, I really had enough and went for tests. I was told it was rosacea and there's really no cure. After spending money on useless products, that wasn't enough of an answer for me. I started documenting everything I ate and noticed it appears when I eat certain foods, so far I have on my list, grapes, tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, eggplant, black pepper, spicy food, watermelon, and strawberries, and some things I'm not sure of yet. I also found that eating blueberrys can control it. During the summer months I eat blueberries with cereal in the morning, every morning, and I buy pure blueberry juice, which I have a "shot" of every morning and night. This has controlled my problem dramatically. I don't get it on my arms or chest, however I do know, some who suffer from this do get it in those areas.

As far as eye cream, I have used for years, Aloette eye cream, but most recently because of my problem up above, I discovered Elizabeth Grant facial products are excellent. Way to pricey though, I wait till its on sale. I believe the only place you can get it is on the Shopping Channel, because I can't find it anywhere else.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Ooh - you might want to see how you do with peaches. I was getting that from fresh peaches, not canned.

I had similar problems to GuardianAngel - with me, it was a period in my life when I was borderline asthmatic and being treated as if I had it full-blown. At that time, a lot of the foods she mentioned would make me itch or get blotchy, especially watermelon and cucumbers, and fresh peaches.

Good call, GA!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3804250;
    Ellen, I've learned over the years that the stuff you can buy at Walgreens and Walmart is just as effective as expensive mall cosmetic counter brands. I stopped buying those awhile ago. And nothing beats Wet and Wild lipstick...lol. I'm willing to pay more if the product actually works better, but I've found that it doesn't.

Fierce, I'm severely allergic to all things Mary Kay. It gives me a rash. The only thing I've found I can use is the hand scrub they have and I LOVE it. It's amazing.
    Years ago I had a professional makeup artist tell me the exact same thing. That what you can buy in the drugstore is just as good and much cheaper.
    I swear by L'oreal moisterizer that I get at Walgreens. I have sensitive skin and this stuff has never caused a problem.
    The other thing is to wash you hands WELL before putting on any product on your face with your hands. YOu can transfer irritants if you don't that may cause problems that have nothing to do with the product.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3803837;
    Lucky JavaJo! In the last year I have suddenly gotten many red blotches on my arms, chest and face....... most likely from sun exposure as a kid and young adult. Nothing I do will make them go away and while most people don't even notice them, I agonize over them constantly. There are bleach creams I can use to minimize the redness but the doctor says nothing will help them go away completely. I've gained 30 lbs in the last year so being overweight has stretched my skin to show the imperfections that were hiding just below the surface. My arms and chest I guess I can deal with....... the blotch on the side of my face that popped up 2 months ago I cannot deal with very well. I'm told that if I go out in the sun with sunscreen on and get a slight tan, they will will not look so large but other than that, I'm stuck with them. Being told that this is just a part of aging really pisses me off. I'm only 36 for crying out loud!
    Bug, I've been using Dr. Hauschka products since a friend introduced me to them about 10 years ago. They are pricey but I get a discount since my friend sells them in her shop. Let me know if you're interested.

Dr.Hauschka Rose Day Cream - Buy Face Cream
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3805218;
    Ooh - you might want to see how you do with peaches. I was getting that from fresh peaches, not canned.

I had similar problems to GuardianAngel - with me, it was a period in my life when I was borderline asthmatic and being treated as if I had it full-blown. At that time, a lot of the foods she mentioned would make me itch or get blotchy, especially watermelon and cucumbers, and fresh peaches.

Good call, GA!
    Fierce, thanks for the tip on peaches. I'll have to experiment with that. I love watermelon, and that is one of the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3803520;
    I found the fountain of youth....I went in for a full body skin cancer scan with my dermatologist and came out with a prescription for Retin-A. My skin was oily and acne prone. Now, I rarely break out, have no black or white heads and my ruddy complexion is now more even. I don't shine like the chrome on a 57 Chevy, either. It's really harsh at first because it peels off all the nasty dead skin and grime, so I flaked for about 2 months. I had to use lots of moisturizer, but it was worth it because at the end of the 2 months, my skin looks 10 years younger. It's also used to fight aging and wrinkles, which makes it even better...lol Even better...insurance accepts it. Woohoo!

Now the problem I'm having is eye cream. I've tried numerous ones (creams and serums) from Oil Of Olay and while they seem to work, they make my eyelids really greasy. Make-up just slides off. I can't skip that step because the skin around my eyes is really dry and it feels tight if I don't use anything. Have any of you found a product that doesn't leave an oil slick behind? If so, please share....
    What are all the possible side effects from this cream, if any? I would like to try it. Can you only get it through a prescription through a dermatologist?

+ Reply to Thread