+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: skin care

FORT Fan

Re: skin care

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2883096;
    And...what's a cradle cap remedy? (The baby's hair matted down by a cradle cap?)
    Cradle cap is a skin condition on babies' heads. They get patches of dry skin that need to be lubricated so they can loosen up a little. Then you massage or gently comb the area to get the dry skin off. It doesn't go away on its own. It doesn't have anything to do with hair. My daughter had it as a newborn and didn't have hair until she was about a year old.

NOTE: If you massage your baby's head with olive oil, you will need to give the baby a bath afterwards or you'll end up with oil on everything. (This might be obvious, but just in case...)

MRD

Lois the entire phrase is "he got a wild hair up his a**"
    Which means it makes you do something crazy, spur of the moment, impulsive, etc. Kind of without really thinking about it.

I thought everyone knew that. Maybe it's just a Southern phrase. Off to look it up for more info because I'm curious now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My family says that all the time. They are from the MidWest.....I love that phrase!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I found the fountain of youth....I went in for a full body skin cancer scan with my dermatologist and came out with a prescription for Retin-A. My skin was oily and acne prone. Now, I rarely break out, have no black or white heads and my ruddy complexion is now more even. I don't shine like the chrome on a 57 Chevy, either. It's really harsh at first because it peels off all the nasty dead skin and grime, so I flaked for about 2 months. I had to use lots of moisturizer, but it was worth it because at the end of the 2 months, my skin looks 10 years younger. It's also used to fight aging and wrinkles, which makes it even better...lol Even better...insurance accepts it. Woohoo!

Now the problem I'm having is eye cream. I've tried numerous ones (creams and serums) from Oil Of Olay and while they seem to work, they make my eyelids really greasy. Make-up just slides off. I can't skip that step because the skin around my eyes is really dry and it feels tight if I don't use anything. Have any of you found a product that doesn't leave an oil slick behind? If so, please share....
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Lucky JavaJo! In the last year I have suddenly gotten many red blotches on my arms, chest and face....... most likely from sun exposure as a kid and young adult. Nothing I do will make them go away and while most people don't even notice them, I agonize over them constantly. There are bleach creams I can use to minimize the redness but the doctor says nothing will help them go away completely. I've gained 30 lbs in the last year so being overweight has stretched my skin to show the imperfections that were hiding just below the surface. My arms and chest I guess I can deal with....... the blotch on the side of my face that popped up 2 months ago I cannot deal with very well. I'm told that if I go out in the sun with sunscreen on and get a slight tan, they will will not look so large but other than that, I'm stuck with them. Being told that this is just a part of aging really pisses me off. I'm only 36 for crying out loud!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I tried a simple Loreal eye cream a while back that I liked a lot. I think it was this one:
    Amazon.com: L'Oreal Dermo-Expertise RevitaLift Eye Cream 15ml/0.5oz: Health & Personal Care

It came in a small jar like this, so it was easy to control how much was used. I would just dab around my eyes (I was specifically targeting underneath my eyes) and it soaked right in, no leftover oily residue at all. Of course, results probably depend on skin type but this stuff worked great for me.

I have found that working out is SUPER for my skin! I wash my face very well before a workout so I'm not all sweaty with makeup on, Drink plenty of water during & Wash my face with something gentle like Cetaphil after and my skin has been just glowing lately. I have also discovered Phillosophy products are really great for my super sensitive & breakout prone skin. Of course.. now that I try to look up the 2 products I'm using I can't find them online.

One is called philosophy - on a clear day - h2o2 hydrogen peroxide cream
    And one is philosophy - on a clear day - protection cream for acne prone skin
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I am a total example of "don't do this" when it comes to skin care.

I don't wash my makeup off.

When I do wash my face, I use a plain wash cloth with nothing but water. No soaps of any kind.

I don't moisturize daily.

I don't use ANY products except Mary Kay Formula 1 Moisturizer when I put on makeup.

I only use over-the-counter makeup by brands like Revlon, Maybelline, Cover Girl.

And my face is blemish free, relatively unwrinkled for my age (41), and healthy except for some occasional dryness which a washcloth scrub & Mary Kay application takes care of.

I'm generally guessed at being in my mid 20's by people who haven't met me before.

I'm VERY lucky. My parents gave their children very, very youthful genes. None of us look our ages, and for the most part, our complexions are all nearly maintenance-free.

It also might help that I actively avoid tanning. I usually end up with some by-proxy color in the summer. But I prefer to remain a relatively pale, gothy shade. (I'm not quite as pale as I look in my avatar picture, I burned the whites with Photoshop for effect.)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3803520;
    . . . Now the problem I'm having is eye cream. I've tried numerous ones (creams and serums) from Oil Of Olay and while they seem to work, they make my eyelids really greasy. Make-up just slides off. I can't skip that step because the skin around my eyes is really dry and it feels tight if I don't use anything. Have any of you found a product that doesn't leave an oil slick behind? If so, please share....
    I have really sensitive skin & allergies so finding a fragrance-free product that works without being greasy was a challenge. I really like Yves Rocher Active Sensitive Soothing Antipuffiness Eye Gel (whew! long name!) It's called "anti-puffiness," but it works well for moisturizing and isn't greasy at all. I get mail-order catalogs from them, but I usually order online.
    yves rocher usa - your natural beauty cosmetics for skin & body care, fragrance, makeup and bath & shower.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Buglover, I've suffered from skin issues since I hit thirteen. At 36, this is the first time in my life that I'm happy with my skin.

Fierce, you are lucky. If I skip washing my face just one night, I pay for it for weeks after

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely try them. I've been afraid to 'experiment' with no knowledge of a product because they eye area is so sensitive. I tried once and the product made the area burn. Not fun.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread