+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: skin care

Re: skin care

This sounds weird, but Milk of Magnesia actually makes for a good mask-- absorbs oil and leaves skin soft. Queen Helene Mint Julep mask is another I'd recommend; cheap and effective. Many retinol creams are great for your skin, too, and you can sometimes get cheap ones at health stores.

Sun protection is, of course, very important, as are rest and hydration. Make sure to take off makeup before bed, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2881707;
    The good news is that if you have kind of oily skin, it will help you look younger when you're older! As for when will they stop...around 32 for me! I had no acne as a kid...just some as a young adult. FYI, I no longer have oily skin, but what the dermatologist told me turned out to be true...I have no wrinkles, and I'm 40. I guess there's a silver lining...even with zits!
    Hey, same here - I'm 40 as well and have avoided wrinkles, having had oily skin all my life. However, I've had problems with cystic acne in the past few years, which apparently is a nasty little side effect of perimenopause. It flares up every few months, and since I don't want to take oral medication for it any longer, it's just something that I have to deal with. I do believe, though, that too much UV exposure makes it worse. I was very careless last year in applying sunscreen, and it showed. I'm now completely over the suntan thing, though, and I plan to lay in a big supply of sunscreen this time around. I think a moisturizer with sunscreen is the most important thing for skincare these days.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Yay things to look forward to skin wise!! Finally an upside. Heh.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2880981;
    I used to use baby oil and iodine mixed together as tanning lotion.
    OMG...I did the same damn thing when I was a teenager....where the hell did we get the idea that that was cool to do????
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2881998;
    OMG...I did the same damn thing when I was a teenager....where the hell did we get the idea that that was cool to do????
    It seemed like a good idea at the time didn't it? I got burnt so badly while on vacation when I was 22 that I had to be hospitalized. It all started with a little baby oil instead of tanning lotion.......
    CYA

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2881707;
    The good news is that if you have kind of oily skin, it will help you look younger when you're older! As for when will they stop...around 32 for me! I had no acne as a kid...just some as a young adult. FYI, I no longer have oily skin, but what the dermatologist told me turned out to be true...I have no wrinkles, and I'm 40. I guess there's a silver lining...even with zits!
    Wow, maybe THAT'S my secret. My hair and skin were so oily I could have used the excess for a fleet of cars!
    I do notice that I'm not as oily now as I get older, but I fought oil for YEARS, so maybe that's why I have fairly good skin now.

Canadian Angel, I stopped getting pimples in my early 20's and then they have just recently started up again in a very small way and I'm almost 46. Just because you have oily skin doesn't always mean pimples for life. I think a lot of it is hormonal.

Bama, that's awful. I can say that as much time as I've spent in the sun. (I lived ON THE BEACH for a long, long, long time-not literally, but I was there a LOT and we had a pool) that I'm lucky I've never been severely burned. But all my friends and family hate me and my brother because he and I have olive skin and instead of burning, we just get really, really, really dark. He no longer tans, but when he used to spend time outside, he also has black hair and living in Tampa with its large Cuban population, he used to get mistaken for Hispanic and he can't speak a word of Spanish, so it was funny when someone would assume he was and start talking to him in Spanish.

As for ALL the other faults my body has, I have loved that I tan easily and quickly and rarely burn, but I try to use a lot of sunscreen now because I realize that I may have already set a ticking time bomb in place for problems from all that sun exposure years from now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan

I have had really oily skin for 15 years or so. I used medicated products for a few years until I read the fine print on the boxes and decided I liked zits more than the potential side effects of the products. Plus all of the women in my family with oily skin as teens had lovely skin as elderly ladies. I can't wait!

In addition to drinking lots of water, which cleanses the skin, you could try an egg yolk mask. I do this whenever we have extra eggs in the fridge close to, or just past the expiration date. Don't use the whites (can always use them for an egg white scramble ). Break the egg, separate it, and put the yolk in a little bowl. Get in front of your mirror and use your fingers to spread it thinly on your face. You can do multiple coats ... if you try to spread it on too thickly it just runs. Let it harden ... you shouldn't be able to smile without putting cracks in the dried yolk. That's when you know it's "done". Then wash off with warm, soapy water and you're done. It's like putting Retin-A on your face without any of the harmful side effects.

PS if you have a spouse, mention the plan to them before doing a mask if they've never seen you do it before. Mr. Cheddar thought I'd gone batty one day when he came home from work and I was wearing egg on my face.

MRD

My husband thinks the whole concepts of masks is hilariously funny. I try to do them when he's not home as I'm sick of the Halloween jokes. He thinks he is SO funny at times.

I am going to try the egg yolk. Thanks for the tip. I like using natural things. I use olive oil and sometimes mayonnaise on my hair for a conditioning treatment.

Funny thing about the mayonnaise. I told a girlfriend about it and she told her husband who teased me unmercifully about this. I got sick of the sandwich jokes. Then one day, he was thinking about it and got a wild hair or something and HE decided to try it and was AMAZED. No more jokes after that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2882781;
    My husband thinks the whole concepts of masks is hilariously funny. I try to do them when he's not home as I'm sick of the Halloween jokes. He thinks he is SO funny at times.

I am going to try the egg yolk. Thanks for the tip. I like using natural things. I use olive oil and sometimes mayonnaise on my hair for a conditioning treatment.

Funny thing about the mayonnaise. I told a girlfriend about it and she told her husband who teased me unmercifully about this. I got sick of the sandwich jokes. Then one day, he was thinking about it and got a wild hair or something and HE decided to try it and was AMAZED. No more jokes after that.
    We do olive oil in the hair here too. Mr. Cheddar tried every (and I am not kidding about that) dandruff shampoo on the market, including some prescribed by his dermatologist. We gave up on them as none of them worked. My aunt told me to try giving him an olive oil scalp massage once or twice a month. No more flakes :-) And way cheaper than the stuff in the hair care aisle... and his hair doesn't smell toxic

By the way ... olive oil is a great cradle cap remedy for babies, too! And if they rub it and eat some while you're massaging, no harm done!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2882781;
    Then one day, he was thinking about it and got a wild hair or something and HE decided to try it and was AMAZED. No more jokes after that.
    What's a wild hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar;2882861;
    By the way ... olive oil is a great cradle cap remedy for babies, too! And if they rub it and eat some while you're massaging, no harm done!
    And...what's a cradle cap remedy? (The baby's hair matted down by a cradle cap?)

I had a massage done once where the masseuse used sunflower oil on my feet and it felt and smelled SOOOOO good!

+ Reply to Thread