+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Shopping Stories

Christmas Shopping Stories

It's winding down to the end of another Christmas shopping season. Are you finished? Did you get any good bargains? Do you still have your sanity? Share your stories.
    I finished tonight on the way home from work. I stopped at Bath & Body works to pick up gift baskets for my daughter, daughter-in-law, assistant managers and the girl who cuts my hair. While waiting in line to pay another customer gave me a coupon for $10 off purchases over $35. Every little bit helps. I in turn got a coupon when I paid and passed it off to someone on my way out the door.
    So share the highs and lows of your shopping experience. And BTW, Merry Christmas to all!

I love a bargain! Especially a Christmas one! Great job on the Bath and Body Works stuff, Unk! I'd love it if my dad bought me anything from there!

Let me just pass on this site to everyone right now: http://www.gotapex.com/ I found a coupon code on that site that saved me $500 on my new laptop! The $500, combined with other discounts means that I got a sah-weeeet laptop for $1,000. I felt like doing a victory lap around the dining room (where the computer lives)! I could have saved even more if I'd added more features. I had to keep reminding myself that a TV tuner was not necessary for a computer I'm buying for school!

I'm pretty much done with shopping. I only buy for a few people anyway. The rest are getting cookies or just a card. It's going to be a very Charlie Brown Christmas I am going to the outlet malls tomorrow for a little retail therapy, although my role will be mainly one of "Co-dependent Shopper"... you know: "That looks really cute on you. You should get it."

I'll be baking cookies tonight... and then trying not to eat them all before I package them up to give to people!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've only bought one gift, and that was for my fiance. Otherwise, I'm most likely just going to give cards and cookies (like Critical), because I'm on a very tight budget this year.

Went to the ATM today, got the $$$ all stuffed in the cards. DONE!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

It was Christmas shopping many years ago that inspired me to write these alternative lyrics to Jingle Bells:

Running through the mall, as though I've gone insane
    Endless Christmas carols ringing in my brain
    Way too many people jammed in every store
    You gotta get me out of here, I just can't take no more!

I'm insane, I'm insane, I'm a Loony Tune
    Ranting, raving, foaming mouth, howling at the moon
    I'm insane, I'm insane, screaming in the night
    I try to keep my sanity but it's a losing fight.

Sitting in my room, with the padded walls
    Brightly decorated with my crayon scrawls
    The Doctor looked at me, and then he told the Judge
    I think this guy is nuttier than Grandma's Christmas fudge

I'm insane, I'm insane . . .

Otherwise, I'm most likely just going to give cards and cookies (like Critical), because I'm on a very tight budget this year.
    NEVER say "just cookies"! Home-made cookies are a WONDERFUL gift! I would give anything to once more get a plate of my mom's "Old Timer" Christmas cookies.
    Last edited by Newfherder; 12-16-2005 at 10:13 PM.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    NEVER say "just cookies"! Home-made cookies are a WONDERFUL gift! I would give anything to once more get a plate of my mom's "Old Timer" Christmas cookies.
    Great song, and so true. I love cookies, and would be happy to have them for Christmas. That's a gift that you give of yourself, which makes the cookies that much sweeter.

I did most of my shopping online this year after the initial mad dash to Walmart at 4:30 am the day after Thanksgiving. I ordered mostly books and t-shirts, that sort of thing. I didn't go overboard this year like I usually do. In October I bought five leather purses while shopping in Washington, and I got a few book store gift cards, and voila, I'm done!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I finished everything tonight after work except one thing that I have to purchase tomorrow morning.

The mall wasn't too bad after work, though I went straight there and was home by 7:00. Last week was INSANE and I am sure tomorrow and Sunday will be ridiculous.

Feels great to be done, though! Sunday I am baking cookies and wrapping all of my gifts so that will be really fun. Christmas is my favorite time of year and I love everything that goes along with it.

It goes by so fast, though! Can't believe another Christmas will be over in a week!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    Went to the ATM today, got the $$$ all stuffed in the cards. DONE!

gabriel, I hope one of those cards is addressed to applesauce.

Oh my God, people, I think I'm pretty much done and pretty much done for! I'm exhausted and had enough of Christmas chaos, but nearly every gift has been bought, wrapped, or shipped (if needed) with the exception of just a couple. It's why I haven't been online as much as I would like!

As much as I love shopping, believe me, I'd rather be in here with you folks talking about Project Runway than watching women yell at each other in line (one woman cut in line and when other people called her on it, she kept yelling, "I'm sorry, life is not fair.") or be nearly run over by all manner of people who are too distracted or just don't care where they're going.

Anyway, I just love Christmas, the sounds, the smells, the sights, the spirit. I just always forget how much work it is! It's all worth it on the holiday itself though, when you can sit back with your loved ones and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I started shopping in October, and finished this week. (took me a while, huh?) I just started wrapping tonight, and wow do I have a lot of stuff to wrap. Hopefully I'll have it all wrapped up by Christmas eve.

The cookie-making starts tomorrow. Right now we have 5 different kinds planned, but we'll see how it goes.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast