+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

New-Fangled Coffee Makers

No, I didn't title the tread "New-Fangled" so that I'd sound like an old fart, but, it was a catchy way to ask about coffee makers that have just come out onto the market.

First off, my coffee background: Worked as assistant manager at Starbuck's for 6 years while I was starting up my company. Can 'pull shots' with the best of them. Own an espresso machine, 4 different French presses, a percolator and drip coffee maker. Oh, and grinders galore.

But, I'm tired of the whole thing. I want to simplify my life and the thrill is gone from taking 15 minutes to grind the beans, boil the water/set up the machines, and then the crappy clean-up.

When Sally and I were on vacation last year, we stayed at a marvelous B & B and they had a beverage machine that I went BONKERS over!!!! We got 2 complimentary drinks per day, but we ended up drinking 6 beverages apiece and I was sold on it! It's a FLAVIA machine (they had the commercial model) and apparently, it's been sold in Europe for ages, because Sally was very familiar with it, as it was in many of the offices she worked in, in the U.K.

There were over 60 different beverage packages that FLAVIA had/has, from every type of tea possible, same with coffees, plus ciders and cocoas. We tore through everything they had to offer at the B & B. Now, according to their website, they even have a Wellness tea section for healing teas. I have to say that the flavour of the beverages was bang on; I would have sworn that they were freshly ground and brewed.

Since then, I've seen ads for SENSEO and other companies that are built on a similar premise.

Now, to my dilemma: I don't know ANYONE who has any of these machines. I've seen the SENSEO's sold at Walmart and the knock-offs, too, and some of the coffee packets are now being sold at Jewel and Walmart. FLAVIA, however, is only sold "on-line" and the packages of beverages are only sold in quantities of 30, which means you really, really have to like a beverage to commit to 30 of the suckers! However, since their selection is out of this world, and the packages are vacuum-sealed, I'm assuming they have a shelf-life of 1 year.

Does anyone HERE have any of these machines? I have no problem ordering from FLAVIA, but the convenience of just going to a grocery store to buy these things is nice. However, instead of 60 different selections, (from FLAVIA), you're restricted to 2-4 types of coffe...max, with the other brands.

I just want to wake up, through a packet in the coffee maker and GO!

THIS is FLAVIA.

THIS is Senseo, a Sara Lee company
    Last edited by lambikins; 12-16-2005 at 11:16 AM.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    I don't have one of these, lambi, but I am also very interested. I've been looking at them but can't decide which one would be best. We don't drinks tons of coffee, I use my espresso machine and my husband uses a little 4-cup coffeemaker for himself, so something like this would be perfect for us. I need something that doesn't take up a huge amount of space on the countertop since I have a fairly small kitchen so maybe this would eliminate the need for us to have 2 machines. Do you know how the price of the Flavia compares to the ones in the stores? I don't mind ordering online and I love the idea of 60 different beverage choices.

Ok folks, I've asked around a few people that drink coffee coffee and more coffee. I spoke with 13 people that I know and FLAVIA won hands down 10-3.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    No, I didn't title the tread "New-Fangled" so that I'd sound like an old fart, but, it was a catchy way to ask about coffee makers that have just come out onto the market.
    I'm laughing about this title of the thread, 'cause when I first saw it tonight (after being awake for the last 21 hours) I thought it said "New England Coffee Makers."

I got to thinking, "Yeah, I'm in New England. I could reply to this thread. I qualify. And I'm a wicked big coffee drinker in New England -- one of New England's biggest, in fact, so yeah, I definitely should reply to this thread."

Then I realized it said "New FANGLED, not New England!!! What a dope I am!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Now, to my dilemma: I don't know ANYONE who has any of these machines. I've seen the SENSEO's sold at Walmart and the knock-offs, too, and some of the coffee packets are now being sold at Jewel and Walmart. FLAVIA, however, is only sold "on-line" and the packages of beverages are only sold in quantities of 30, which means you really, really have to like a beverage to commit to 30 of the suckers! However, since their selection is out of this world, and the packages are vacuum-sealed, I'm assuming they have a shelf-life of 1 year.

Does anyone HERE have any of these machines? I have no problem ordering from FLAVIA, but the convenience of just going to a grocery store to buy these things is nice. However, instead of 60 different selections, (from FLAVIA), you're restricted to 2-4 types of coffe...max, with the other brands.

I just want to wake up, through a packet in the coffee maker and GO!
    Well, lambikins, even though I'm an idiot I can honestly say that I love the FLAVIA products!!! I had access to Flavia machines at a part-time job I held up until a year or so ago, and I'll tell you -- popping a capuccino packet in that machine was the highlight of my day!

Flavia's wonderful, and I had no idea until I read this post that the company will sell the product to private customers (i.e., not just business customers).

That's great news, and I encourage you to go with Flavia!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    I'm laughing about this title of the thread, 'cause when I first saw it tonight (after being awake for the last 21 hours) I thought it said "New England Coffee Makers."

I got to thinking, "Yeah, I'm in New England. I could reply to this thread. I qualify. And I'm a wicked big coffee drinker in New England -- one of New England's biggest, in fact, so yeah, I definitely should reply to this thread."

Then I realized it said "New FANGLED, not New England!!! What a dope I am!!!!!!

Well, lambikins, even though I'm an idiot I can honestly say that I love the FLAVIA products!!! I had access to Flavia machines at a part-time job I held up until a year or so ago, and I'll tell you -- popping a capuccino packet in that machine was the highlight of my day!

Flavia's wonderful, and I had no idea until I read this post that the company will sell the product to private customers (i.e., not just business customers)!!!
    she read New England coffee drinker!! Oh Pomeraniac my sides are killing me, the kids are staring at me like HUH? I really know where you're coming from, happens to me all the time.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

I was a little bummed, yesterday, when I didn't see any replies to this thread, so THANK YOU, Marleybone, gabriel...and Pommie for your input! Dear, dear Pommie...how we love your stories!

Marleybone: The Senseo is $70.00 vs. the Flavia for $100.00. But, Flavia has been around for years and years and the upstart companies that are using sachets for coffee and tea could be here today, gone tomorrow and then you're stuck with a machine you can't use.

gabriel: Thank YOU for doing the survey!!! Based on what you found out, I'm ordering the turquoise Flavia TODAY! Both Sally and I were so impressed with the quality of the drinks...it was coffee shop quality! Also, Sally had encountered Flavia for years in Europe; all the posh offices have them, to keep their employees happy and many pastry shops own them, too.

Pommie: Even though you're in New England and I'm in the Midwest, I'm sure that we can have coffee...or tea...together!

I'm ordering THIS, with the coffee maker: "An inspiring choice of exquisite Coffees, leaf Teas, Wellbeing options, total Indulgence, Mixes and Matches. Contains 30 drinks, including frothy drinks and syrups and sprinkles plus an exclusive FLAVIA Explorer Mug. (For use with the FLAVIA FUSION drink station ONLY)"

So, thanks everyone, for helping me make the right choice!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Marleybone: The Senseo is $70.00 vs. the Flavia for $100.00. But, Flavia has been around for years and years and the upstart companies that are using sachets for coffee and tea could be here today, gone tomorrow and then you're stuck with a machine you can't use.
    Good point. Right now the stores are flooded with all different brands. I like that some of the pods are interchangeable between machines, but I haven't seen a lot of choices so you're stuck with just a few drinks.

I'm ordering THIS, with the coffee maker: "An inspiring choice of exquisite Coffees, leaf Teas, Wellbeing options, total Indulgence, Mixes and Matches. Contains 30 drinks, including frothy drinks and syrups and sprinkles plus an exclusive FLAVIA Explorer Mug. (For use with the FLAVIA FUSION drink station ONLY)"
    That looks like a good deal. I also like the idea that you can use 2 packets at a time to mix flavors. I'm just having a little trouble convincing Mr. Marleybone that this is a good thing. He seems to prefer his grungy old coffee pot. Ew.

Pom - you crack me up!

I am actually pondering one myself..
    - The Dean Martin Show -

I just looked it up online and called my husband in to see it. He said you're. not. buying. that. I've been spending lots of time buying things off the internet recently. I guess I can live without it (for now).
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Marleybone: You could always let Mr. Marleybone have his "grungy old coffee pot", and then when you float into the room, kitten pumps on your dainty feet, chiffon floating about you...and carrying a FLAVIA cappaccino...well....need I say more?! You'll end up being the best advertizement for it!

Having just cleaned out my upright freezer (for cookie baking) and "liberated" the freezer of 12...count'em 12...different coffee bags, I'm just ready to simplifiy my life and get rid of all the clutter. That would include three of the four french presses (different sizes and styles); the drip maker, the perculator, the espresso maker. My God, they take up a cabinet just for themselves! And...this does NOT include the tea pots and the electric kettle! Enough is enough!

Since I tried the FLAVIA for 4 days on vacation, and ran through every single coffee they have and half the teas and chocolates, the flavour is out of this world. And rather than having to buy 1/2 pound minimum at Starbuck's of different coffees (with the beans going bad), I can now have them safely sealed away, until I want to use them.

Here's the FLAVIA link, if you want to check it out. Look at the Drinks Section and see how HUGE it is! I already ordered it and I'll be drinking my coffee by Christmas! Yahoo!!!!

http://www.myflavia.com/jupiter/en-US/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1234567891011 ... LastLast