+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

Ive always used cold water in my drip coffeemaker, but does using hot water make hotter coffee?
    Last edited by angelic_one2002; 02-17-2006 at 07:01 PM.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Yes, I'm not sure how the thermal one works without a warmer, but that is what he said. I think the coffee is just suppose to stay hot. Anyway- he didn't like it, so I figured I wouldn't either. I was going to just check it out next time I go to Target to see what it was all about.
    A good trick for the thermal is to fill it with hot tap water for a minute and then empty it out and make coffee into it. That way you aren't using the coffee to get the thermal carafe hot. I like the thermal better... It doesn't overheat the coffee before you drink it and you don't forget to shut it off... The one I have stays hot for a long time...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Ive always used cold water in my drip coffeemaker, but does using hot water make hotter coffee?
    It shouldn't... The coffee maker has an element that heats the water up to the same temperature before it flows over into the grounds... No matter what temperature it starts at.

Now I'm wondering: What do you Canadians do when you live across the border from the U.S. and you want to shop for electrical appliances? Are you forced to shop in Canada or do border Target's sell both electrical systems???
    I'm pretty sure Canada and the US use the same electrical standards... Appliances should be the same in both countries...

Europe and North America are different. Europe is 50Hz North America is 60 Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    No, hot water doesn't make the coffee hotter, but it can make your coffe ickier tasting and ruin your machine, too! If you have a Water Softener in your home, to make your water softer for washing clothes and dishes, the salt that's in the hot water will build up deposits in your coffee maker and also leaves an aftertaste in the brew. Most homes have the water softener ONLY on the HOT water lines, but some older homes have it hooked up to the HOT and COLD. The water is nasty tasting! Blech!

The heating element in your coffee maker regulates the final heat of the coffee. As the element gets older, it loses the ability to heat the water as hot as it originally did.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks, Lambikins! Will only use cold water, but just seems the coffee could be hotter.

nope coffee wouldn't be hotter, yes icker as posted, also the thermostat may sense it as "hot" and shut off prematurely.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thanks, gabriel..Will only use cold water. I also think using bottled water makes the best tasting coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Thanks, gabriel..Will only use cold water. I also think using bottled water makes the best tasting coffee.
    If you live in an area with high mineral content to the water or loads of chlorine, you're right about THAT fact, angelic_one. But in Chicago Proper and S.W. Michigan, the water from Lake Michigan is as sweet and delicious as a bottle of Dasani. It's also very soft, so I don't need a water softener at home.

But, if I lived where there was well water (ugh!), I'd by a truck load of bottled water, for sure!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Yes, we have high content of iron here in our water.

+ Reply to Thread