+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

I never break the glass one so, it's a personal choice - coffee always stays hot for me. I've got mine set so the coffee is finished when the kids wake me for breakfast.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Hey thanks you guys. I still need a coffemaker and Flavia does NOT ship to Canada.

So my question is for your regular daily use:

Is it worth the additional expense to buy a coffee maker with a thermal caraffe instead of the regular glass caraffe?

Also, have you found that you USE the programmable feature or not?

My bil bought a thermal carafe, and found that it doesn't have a warmer. It just stays hot in the carafe. He didn't like it at all, so he bought the Mr.coffee with the glass carafe. I liked his so much that I bought one myself. (see a few posts above) I like the glass carafe personally.
    I don't use the programmable feature. I flip it on and stand at the maker and pour into my cup every 20 seconds or so. (I like it fresh-really fresh!) It's nice to have, but I've never found it necessary. My sister, on the other hand, loves her programmable feature because she likes her coffee ready when she wakes up.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    ...the coffee is finished when the kids wake me for breakfast.
    Do they kitts make you breakfast as well gabriel?

Thanks stinkerbell for your suggestions. Doesn't make sense a thermal one doesn't have a warmer, now that you mention it.

Going coffee machine shopping soon.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fan
    Do they kitts make you breakfast as well gabriel?

Thanks stinkerbell for your suggestions. Doesn't make sense a thermal one doesn't have a warmer, now that you mention it.

Going coffee machine shopping soon.

Yes, I'm not sure how the thermal one works without a warmer, but that is what he said. I think the coffee is just suppose to stay hot. Anyway- he didn't like it, so I figured I wouldn't either. I was going to just check it out next time I go to Target to see what it was all about.

Hey thanks you guys. I still need a coffemaker and Flavia does NOT ship to Canada.

So my question is for your regular daily use:

Is it worth the additional expense to buy a coffee maker with a thermal caraffe instead of the regular glass caraffe?

Also, have you found that you USE the programmable feature or not?
    I'm still bummed that Flavia doesn't ship to Canada, misskitty. I ended up having to order an additional Flavia machine because one wasn't enough! When I returned to my cottage, I intentionally left behind my original machine in the Chicago apartment, so Sally and Michele could use it.

But, after ONE week in Michigan, I went NUTS! NUTS! NUTS! without the convienence and choices available. So, I ordered one on the 6th of February and got it on the 10th! Now I'm in serious trouble when I house-sit for several weeks!

I've had all manners of coffee machines: programmable, carafe, glass...you name it. The carafe ones sucked, BIG time, and it was a bloody expense machine, too. The reason why there isn't a heater on them is that the carafe is plastic; it would melt if there were a heating element. The ONLY way the coffee stayed HOT in the carafe was if you filled it up with boiling water, before you made the coffee, dumped it out and the coffee went "in" within seconds, with you clamping on the screw on lid in milli-seconds. If you just turned on the machine and let the coffee ooze into it, the temp was only moderate, because the glass filter stole half of the heat. And to make matters worse, the carafe was on a coffee machine that was programable, so if I hit the snooze button and got up after the coffee had been brewed, I lost even MORE heat, from the open mouth of the carafe!

The Thrift Store soon got that model! And it was by Cuisinart, too!

My last machine, before the Flavia, was also programmable, and had a built in coffee bean grinder that would shoot the beans into the cone. It was a Capresso. But, as you know, I just wore out on cleaning all the crap that's involved: filter, coffee pot, bean grinder...ugh!

So, I think the coffee maker you planned on buying at Target will do you well, for your Morning Addiction. Now, if I can just get a Flavia with a remote control so I can start it from bed, when I wake up....well, life would be perfect! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, in the snows of Furburbia!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

misskitty, have you tried looking for a Flavia on ebay?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    misskitty, have you tried looking for a Flavia on ebay?
    The machines are actually cheap, lildago; they're $99, as opposed to the $199 that I spent for the Capresso machine that got donated to a Women's Shelter.

Flavia just doesn't make machines that work on Canada's electric system, which is so odd, as Flavia is sold throughout Europe and actually began overseas!

But, it was a good idea, lildago, if you were talking about price savings.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Actually, I was thinking at least the seller would ship to Canada. I didn't realize the machine wouldn't work with her electric system. But I guess she wouldn't have a way to order the drink packets anyway if they won't ship to her.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Actually, I was thinking at least the seller would ship to Canada. I didn't realize the machine wouldn't work with her electric system. But I guess she wouldn't have a way to order the drink packets anyway if they won't ship to her.
    I dont' think they have a problem shipping to Canada. The problem lies with the different electrical system. But, I suppose if you wanted to, you could buy an electric plug converter. I got one at a travel store for $5 bucks. Both Sally and I have them for when we travel back to Europe and all of our stuff: computers, digital cameras, cell phones, blow driers and curling irons have no problem working on U.K. and Paris currents.

The plug on the Flavia machine is only a two-pronger, so it's not a heavy electrical draw, like a microwave or iron would be.

Now I'm wondering: What do you Canadians do when you live across the border from the U.S. and you want to shop for electrical appliances? Are you forced to shop in Canada or do border Target's sell both electrical systems???

Wow! I'm amazed that such discussion ensued over my little coffee maker problem. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I don't remember ever having a problem going to the US and using small electrical devices like a hair dryer or curling iron. But it has been awhile. I DO recall having to have an electrical converter when I went overseas, which worked fine.

I don't live that close to the border, and haven't purchased electrical appliances in the US; we don't have a Target up here, yet. But that is a great question! My cousin just moved to Seattle and I have no idea if she has had any problems with her Canadian purchased appliances working in her US home. I'll have to check on that one!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread