+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

Premium Member
    Last night I tried out the Creamy Topping.. lambi you were right. It was fun to watch! I used it with the Roasted Safari Nut coffee, of course I had to add some sweetener, but it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Last night I tried out the Creamy Topping.. lambi you were right. It was fun to watch! I used it with the Roasted Safari Nut coffee, of course I had to add some sweetener, but it was good.
    Did I miss something, Marleybone??? I've been waiting, with baited breath, for your most amazing of posts, concerning :opening the box, what you thought, what you tried....etc. I thought I caught them all, but maybe I did miss it.

Isn't the frothing cool?! I hadn't used the Milky Way or Coco packets yet (in the left hand button), but they, too, have the slooshing jets of steamy water come out. Michele and I had cocoa with Milky Way tonight as we got ready to watch LOST; it was just so nice to crave something (chocolate) and not have to pine away for it or get dressed and get into the car to buy some.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell=
    I've been very interested in this thread and would like to congratulate those on your new coffee makers.
    I do have a question though-does the cost of the flavor packs come out to more than if you bought beans and ground them? My husband and I had a discussion about this- he wanted to buy me one, but I thought that it would just get too expensive to keep buying the coffee. I usually get the whole bean 2.5 bag of Starbucks at Costco for around $20.00- which lasts me about a month. I drink coffee regularly, and feel I already spend more than I should. If the price isn't too much, I might consider it, but if it's substantial- I just can't do it.

stinkerbell: Normally, I have a calculator near me at all times, for business sake, but with it being Winter, my business is shut down for a couple of months so I can't figure out for you what it breaks down to, exactly. However, if you get 20 packs for $8.60, that's roughly .43 cents per drink.

Is it cheaper than buying a bag of coffee at Costco? No, of course it won't be. YOU are doing the labor, in ALL regards: you're buying the beans, the filters, grinding them, emptying them into their basket, making the coffee and then cleaning everything up...each and every day. That would be identical to making a batch of cookies from scratch, each unit costing .13 cents vs. buying a similar cookie from Starbucks for $1.49. What you're saving on is TIME, LABOR, and THROWN AWAY COFFEE.

But, I don't want a bag of cookies (or coffee) any longer, to grow stale when I just want one really, really good one...on occasion, so for me, it's very cost effective. I had become so dissatisfied with home brewing that DAILY my employees and I met at either Einstein Bagels, Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks and my tab was NEVER under $5.00....EVER! I wouldn't just get a cup of coffee, it always had to be a latte or mocha. So, for me, if I'm spending .86 cents per morning, to have an astonishingly good single cup of coffee, I've saved myself over $4.00, on a daily basis. It boils down to what type of lifestyle you have and whether you are one of the Urbanites who drink their $10.00 bucks of coffee/Red Bull/Monster per day. I am, so this machine saves me a fortune.

And an interesting side-note: it's been a week tomorrow, since I had the machine and I've not gone to a coffee store once, in any of that time. Despite Christmas, despite snacking, despite NO activity on my part, I lost 8.2 pounds!!! I know exactly how I did it: No bagels, donuts or muffins with my coffee drink each morning! I can't wait to see how much I lose in a months time!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Did I miss something, Marleybone??? I've been waiting, with baited breath, for your most amazing of posts, concerning :opening the box, what you thought, what you tried....etc. I thought I caught them all, but maybe I did miss it.

Isn't the frothing cool?! I hadn't used the Milky Way or Coco packets yet (in the left hand button), but they, too, have the slooshing jets of steamy water come out. Michele and I had cocoa with Milky Way tonight as we got ready to watch LOST; it was just so nice to crave something (chocolate) and not have to pine away for it or get dressed and get into the car to buy some.
    Sorry to disappoint you lambi - I've been sick since yesterday morning with a bad cold so a "most amazing of posts" is just not in me today. I've been posting as I've tried the different drinks here and there.

I do love this thing though, I was afraid it would be too big but it fits on my countertop under the cupboard just fine. It holds a lot of water, I like that I don't have to fill it each time.
    The frothing is way cool! Tonight I had the Cocoa with Creamy Topping, yum... I also had the Raspberry Spark and English Breakfast Tea. Both were just delicious.
    The best thing is that last night I got Mr. MB to try it. I showed him how to use it and he tried the Columbian coffee. It came out kind of strong even with the volume control set on the highest, so we just brewed another cup using the same packet. The second cup looked pretty good, not too weak at all. He mixed both cups together in his little thermos, and he seemed to like it. He usually complains of Starbucks coffee giving him an acid stomach, but he said this coffee didn't.
    I'm anxious to order more tea, the English Breakfast smelled and tasted great, I didn't get any Earl Grey in my sampler. Did you get the Milky Way in your sampler or did you order it? I don't have that either, is it good?

I am very happy with this and I'm not even a big hot drink fan, I usually have everything on ice.

I agree with your assessment on the cost too. It's no work at all to make a fresh cup and no clean up. It's worth it to me. And by the way... congrats on the weight loss. Who would have thought that cutting out that little bit would make such a difference.

And an interesting side-note: it's been a week tomorrow, since I had the machine and I've not gone to a coffee store once, in any of that time. Despite Christmas, despite snacking, despite NO activity on my part, I lost 8.2 pounds!!! I know exactly how I did it: No bagels, donuts or muffins with my coffee drink each morning! I can't wait to see how much I lose in a months time!
    That is great lambikins, congrats. It is true that it is way too tempting to grab a donut or a muffin to go with your coffee.

Premium Member
    Especially when you go to Starbucks and they have that glass case right in front of you just full of deliciously sinful treats.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Sorry to disappoint you lambi - I've been sick since yesterday morning with a bad cold so a "most amazing of posts" is just not in me today. I've been posting as I've tried the different drinks here and there.

Here's some Puppy Love for you, Marleybone. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been under the weather. I appreciate you coming out from under the covers to appease the little kid in me, with sharing your Flavia experiences.

I do love this thing though, I was afraid it would be too big but it fits on my countertop under the cupboard just fine. It holds a lot of water, I like that I don't have to fill it each time.
    The frothing is way cool! Tonight I had the Cocoa with Creamy Topping, yum... I also had the Raspberry Spark and English Breakfast Tea. Both were just delicious.
    The best thing is that last night I got Mr. MB to try it. I showed him how to use it and he tried the Columbian coffee. It came out kind of strong even with the volume control set on the highest, so we just brewed another cup using the same packet. The second cup looked pretty good, not too weak at all. He mixed both cups together in his little thermos, and he seemed to like it. He usually complains of Starbucks coffee giving him an acid stomach, but he said this coffee didn't.
    YOU need to be the Official Ambassador of FLAVIA with so slyly introducing Mr. Marleybone to the wonderful benefits of it. I'm glad that his tummy didn't get flippy from the Columbian blend.

I'm anxious to order more tea, the English Breakfast smelled and tasted great, I didn't get any Earl Grey in my sampler. Did you get the Milky Way in your sampler or did you order it? I don't have that either, is it good?
    No, the Earl Grey and Milky Way didn't come with my sampler. When I realized that I was going to get free shipping, I wanted to jump on that fact, so I really took the time to read through all of the options they had, and order everything that I could think might be nice, so it would come all at one time.

The Milky Way is "to die for"! Michele, who is a chocolate fiend, couldn't keep her nose out of her mug last night, and kept saying (ad naseum) "It smells just like a Milky Way!" It tastes just like the candy bar and makes the drink chocolatey-caramelly.

The Earl Grey is THE. BEST. I'VE. EVER. HAD. I've always enjoyed Earl Grey, but this machine made me crave Earl Grey. I ordered it, initially, because Sally really likes tea and Flavia has less tea choices than coffee, so I wanted her to have some tea choices. Since ordering my initial 20 packs, I've since ordered 100 more.

I agree with your assessment on the cost too. It's no work at all to make a fresh cup and no clean up. It's worth it to me. And by the way... congrats on the weight loss. Who would have thought that cutting out that little bit would make such a difference.
    I was raised "Tobacco Road" poor, so it's taken me decades to allow myself to enjoy nicer things, without guilt. Like people who have been overweight and lose it, but still think of themselves as "fat", I have had to battle memories of abject poverty with where I am financially, today. Buying myself this machine, revelling in the superb drinks that I can make at HOME, and paying less than a buck a drink for them is a luxury I've earned and have to keep reminding myself. Each time I make a drink, it's a healthy reminder that I'm NOT living back "down the holler", anymore.

Hey, thanks about the nod to the weight loss, Marleybone and DesertRose!. It wasn't even me who noticed it, since I tend to dress in layers, but Michele, my Chicago roomie. She hadn't seen me for over a week and when she saw me on the 27th, the first words out of her mouth were "Man, you've lost weight!" I looked at her askance, thinking she was teasing me, so I said, "What are you talking about???" She said she could see it immediately, in my face.

Sure enough, when I weighed myself the next morning, I had lost all those pounds. I had NO idea, that ordering one donut or bagel per day, could make me put on close to 10 pounds! That alone, is going to keep me out of the coffee shops and hang a Flavia machine around my neck!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member

Here's some Puppy Love for you, Marleybone. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been under the weather. I appreciate you coming out from under the covers to appease the little kid in me, with sharing your Flavia experiences.
    Aw... thanks for the Berner puppy love, lambi!

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    YOU need to be the Official Ambassador of FLAVIA with so slyly introducing Mr. Marleybone to the wonderful benefits of it. I'm glad that his tummy didn't get flippy from the Columbian blend.
    I couldn't talk him into any coffee last night, he wanted beer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    No, the Earl Grey and Milky Way didn't come with my sampler. When I realized that I was going to get free shipping, I wanted to jump on that fact, so I really took the time to read through all of the options they had, and order everything that I could think might be nice, so it would come all at one time.
    I got him to order the sampler pack since it was at a discount with the purchase of the drink station. I didn't press my luck since he was paying for it, so I ordered separately the next day. I ordered 5 different "rails" of 20-24packets each and the shipping (UPS) was over $8. Next time I am ordering a lot more to make it worth the shipping cost. Milky Way, Raspberry Spark and Earl Gray are definitely on my next shopping list!

FORT Fan
    [

I was raised "Tobacco Road" poor, so it's taken me decades to allow myself to enjoy nicer things, without guilt. Like people who have been overweight and lose it, but still think of themselves as "fat", I have had to battle memories of abject poverty with where I am financially, today. Buying myself this machine, revelling in the superb drinks that I can make at HOME, and paying less than a buck a drink for them is a luxury I've earned and have to keep reminding myself. Each time I make a drink, it's a healthy reminder that I'm NOT living back "down the holler", anymore.
    This really struck a cord with me Lambikins, because I can totally relate. (I have a really hard time around Christmas because of the "Tobacco Road" poor thing, and I over compensate with my kids. As I'm sure you realize- it does go deeper than a coffee maker ) Anyway- Yes - you do deserve it and I am glad you are enjoying it Thanks for the breakdown also of cost- I've decided right now that I'm too much of a coffeeholic to justify the cost. But if in the future I can cut my coffee addiction down to manageable- I will definately get your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    This really struck a cord with me Lambikins, because I can totally relate. (I have a really hard time around Christmas because of the "Tobacco Road" poor thing, and I over compensate with my kids. As I'm sure you realize- it does go deeper than a coffee maker ) Anyway- Yes - you do deserve it and I am glad you are enjoying it Thanks for the breakdown also of cost- I've decided right now that I'm too much of a coffeeholic to justify the cost. But if in the future I can cut my coffee addiction down to manageable- I will definately get your machine.
    stinkerbell: Boy, does it ever...go deeper than a "coffee maker". I still have to remind myself that I can actually get rid of clothes BEFORE I wear them out or buy things that aren't on the last Mark Down Sale (yet worse condition than what I could buy at the Goodwill.)

Yah, this coffee maker is NOT for the person that likes to have a nice 12 Cup Mr. Coffee brewing in the background, and they can go to it throughout the day, or the person that makes a pot of coffee, drinks a cup and dumps the rest. I guess it's more like a good bottle of wine vs. Box Wine; if you don't finish the box, you won't feel bad dumping it, but the good bottle of wine gets savored with each precious drop.

Too bad you can't try one of these out, though, stinkerbell, if even for those indulgent times when you just want to feel good about yourself.

Glad to know someone else knows where Tobacco Road lay. May it never visit my door again!

FORT Fan
    stinkerbell: Boy, does it ever...go deeper than a "coffee maker". I still have to remind myself that I can actually get rid of clothes BEFORE I wear them out or buy things that aren't on the last Mark Down Sale (yet worse condition than what I could buy at the Goodwill.)

Yah, this coffee maker is NOT for the person that likes to have a nice 12 Cup Mr. Coffee brewing in the background, and they can go to it throughout the day, or the person that makes a pot of coffee, drinks a cup and dumps the rest. I guess it's more like a good bottle of wine vs. Box Wine; if you don't finish the box, you won't feel bad dumping it, but the good bottle of wine gets savored with each precious drop.

Too bad you can't try one of these out, though, stinkerbell, if even for those indulgent times when you just want to feel good about yourself.

Glad to know someone else knows where Tobacco Road lay. May it never visit my door again!
    Yes, yes, I hear you Lambikins! The funny thing is my husband would have no problem with me getting one- it's ME that has the problem, because his family was never in the position that we were in. I will buy him Dockers, Levi's, etc., my kids get Aeropostle, American Eagle, etc. and I get....Walmart (nothing against Walmart, mind you)
    I've actually decided that this year I will start buying good for me, and not the bad stuff either, the stuff that will make me look and feel fabulous! And maybe I will start with a coffee maker....

+ Reply to Thread