+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

Re: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

mrd - doesn't french press coffee taste a lot like coffee made in a percolator? I have heard it does. I still swear by my Farberware electric percolator...as far as good coffee flavor. Might be more pieces to clean than a dripmaker, but I swear the coffee is fuller-flavored, if that's how you like it.

MRD

It looked as it there were only the pot and the plunger and of course, the pot lid.
    I'm more than likely not getting one. I obviously can't do it first thing in the morning and I don't drink much coffee anymore anyway.

I did find the Santa's White Christmas coffee the other day, so now I'm happy to have an occasional SWC cup during the next month
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

OK, so right after Christmas I found a french press in Goodwill. I was happier than a pig in well, coffee!

Here's the thing. It makes 1 1/2 cups. It's small. Why not one and why not 2? That would make more sense right?

So I wanted to make more than that because I'm cold and my teenager also wanted some, so I attempted to duplicate the process and what a pain.

I put coffee in a large glass bowl with a spout. I boiled water in the teakettle on the stove like I do for the french press. I turned on the drip coffee maker so I could put the coffee in there to keep it hot.

Then I poured the water in on the grounds and let them steep. Now my problem. How to press the coffee? So I have been pouring it in my little 1 1/2 cup press, pressing it and then pouring in the Mr. Coffee pot.

What a pain! BUT...... it turned out well for all that effort. I have gotten really spoiled and like the french press taste so much better than the drip coffee.
    My aim is to find a bigger french press.

I think the cups are smaller in the manufacturer's eyes. We all drink from larger coffee mugs. I once read the cup is only 4 oz of coffee. When I was in Europe they always served coffee or tea in those little cups. Bugged me quite a bit.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2754129;
    I think the cups are smaller in the manufacturer's eyes. We all drink from larger coffee mugs. I once read the cup is only 4 oz of coffee. When I was in Europe they always served coffee or tea in those little cups. Bugged me quite a bit.
    The instructions I got online for french press coffee say 1 tbsp. of coffee for each 4 oz., so yes, it's probably because the figure that the cup size is smaller.

That seemed like a lot of coffee to me as well as we don't use that much in the drip maker.

But I'm telling you, I really like the taste so much better. It doesn't seem too strong, but just really full of flavor, much better than the drip.

Target has a larger size french press for around $18-$20 (and on up). With both Valentine's Day and my anniversary coming up, that is what I would like to have I think. Leaving hints around the house.

Tape pictures from ads on the cupboards myrosiedog. That usually works for me!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2754138;
    Tape pictures from ads on the cupboards myrosiedog. That usually works for me!

That wouldn't work here. I used to do that with notes and no one ever saw them. My strategy will be to TELL him and even TAKE him to Target and SHOW him.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2582444;
    LavAzza coffee is great. The problem sometimes is that the same coffee can taste different depending on your coffee machine. Marley, if you live next to an Italian neighborhood, I'm sure you can find LavAzza in their supermarket. We get it here in Montreal, but that is because there is a huge Italian community. Another brand for espresso coffee that is really good, if you find it, is Mauro. Also Italian.
    There is a decent sized Italian population around here, so I might check around. I still don't have an espresso machine yet so I'm in no hurry, and I still have the Flavia sitting on the counter doing nothing. I've got tons of rails of tea and coffee, I just need to fire it up one of these days and maybe I will care again. I'll be packing it up soon so I can start work on remodeling my kitchen, and I'm afraid that once it's out of sight will be the end of it.

I'm not that big of a coffee drinker, but the medical staff lounge at work has a fabulous machine, so I have a latte 3 mornings a week on my way home from work and that's about enough for me. The only thing I ever get at Starbucks now is iced green tea - Venti, shaken with 2 Spendas and a shot of sugar-free vanilla.

I got a Tassimo for Christmas and I'm still in the honeymoon period. I love love love being able to make a double shot decaf capuccino in the evening. I went a little nuts and I have enough coffee pods to get me through 6 weeks.

What's weird is that my favorites are the Starbucks' varieties, and I really don't like Starbucks from the store. Their coffee gives me a headache and it tastes kind of burnt and weak. But out of the Tassimo, it's fantastic.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I'm still considering the Flavia and just noticed Marley's not using hers! That would end up happening to me I think so a used one is probably a better bet for me. I'll check on it and see what's out on ebay or craig's list.

+ Reply to Thread