+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Don't know what you bid on the machine, but it is now up to $41...still a great deal!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    It's my bid but I don't want it to go too much higher.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

It probably will go up higher, Bubba-Jo-Lynn, as the auction doesn't end until Dec. 9th. The person you outbid probably placed a high bid of say $40. Once they see your $41 they may try to outbid you. If you said your high bid was $50, they (or another bidder) will have to bid over $51 to become the high bidder. They then might have said that their highest bid is $56. So in order for you to outbid them, you would have to bid at least $57. If you said, instead, that you would go as high as $100, they could keep bidding up until they either outbid you or give up. But each time they bid, they are driving up the price.

What I usually do is put an item(s) I am interested in in the "My EBay" watch list. Then I check it right before the auction is set to end, see what the highest bid is, and decide if I want to bid. I usually bid during the last few minutes of an auction. If I win, I win; if not, there will always be another auction sooner or later. It really is true that one can find ANYTHING on EBay!

As far as paying 60 cents for a cup of coffee, I don't think that is too out of line. Remember, the company will have to stay on top of reordering coffee and it sounds like there is some kind of third-party involved. That salesperson will be making a commission, if that is the case.

I have been so out of the loop for so long, I really don't know what office coffee goes for these days. The last job I had, we didn't have a coffee station and people just brought in coffee on their way into work. All of the other jobs I had had prior to that one, we always went on the "honor system" and put in so much per cup or per week.

BubbaJoLyn: There's a strength button on the top of the flavia machine. You can turn it from #1 to #5. I think that affects how much water comes into the cup for your basic coffee/tea. When you use two-packet drinks, you use the other button on the top. Did the salesman not leave you the instruction manual?

Also, I think they base it on a cup of coffee, not a MUG of coffee. They also leave room for milk to add. Lambikins has had success using certain packets twice to fill a bigger mug. Check the previous posts. She has some good hints in there. Including pre-heating your milk if you add milk.
    Last edited by misskitty; 12-03-2006 at 02:04 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MissKitty and BubbaJoLyn, I was all excited when my company springed for the Flavia machine, but after the initial excitement (see my first posts) I was disenchanted very quickly. It seems the machines for companies are very different than those for homes. Thus, there is no setting for coffee strength (it says 3-4 or 5 on the pack) and you can't run it more than once. What you end up with is half a cup of coffee flavored water. So, to answer your question, Bubba Jo Lyn, the size cup you end up with is all you get. It's not the water setting that is wrong, it's the whole machine.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2165528;
    MissKitty and BubbaJoLyn, I was all excited when my company springed for the Flavia machine, but after the initial excitement (see my first posts) I was disenchanted very quickly. It seems the machines for companies are very different than those for homes. Thus, there is no setting for coffee strength (it says 3-4 or 5 on the pack) and you can't run it more than once. What you end up with is half a cup of coffee flavored water. So, to answer your question, Bubba Jo Lyn, the size cup you end up with is all you get. It's not the water setting that is wrong, it's the whole machine.
    I'm sorry you were disappointed with the flavia you have DesertRose.

There are different machines. The Flavia Fusion can be for home or work. It has the syrups, creamy toppings, and such. The Flavia SB300, is more for office use (25+cups/day) and does not have those options. It does straight coffee or tea without the additional packets and two-step process. The packets for both machines are normally a one-use packet. That's the simplicity of it.

I still love my Flavia Fusion for it does exactly what I need it for.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Since this is a coffee-related question, I'll post it here. Do you guys all grind your own whole coffee beans? I hear it tastes so much better than ground coffee. Thanks!
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2165487;
    BubbaJoLyn: There's a strength button on the top of the flavia machine. You can turn it from #1 to #5. I think that affects how much water comes into the cup for your basic coffee/tea. When you use two-packet drinks, you use the other button on the top. Did the salesman not leave you the instruction manual?

Also, I think they base it on a cup of coffee, not a MUG of coffee. They also leave room for milk to add. Lambikins has had success using certain packets twice to fill a bigger mug. Check the previous posts. She has some good hints in there. Including pre-heating your milk if you add milk.
    Shoveling my way out of the ice storm that hit Chicago to just add some stuff:

There isn't a coffee/tea packet that we DON'T run through the machine twice. It's just WAY too strong for our tastes with one run through the largest dot, which I call #5. Depending on the tea, like Green Tea with Jasmine, I'll do a #5 and a #1 setting. For Sumatra and French Roast, we do a #5 and a #4. I can't drink intense coffee any longer, like I could when I was younger.

That's sad about the office machines lack of response, B.J.L.. It seems that it just delivers standard fair. That's why I opted for the home system; it makes more fancy-schmancy drink options.

Today, I had added a pack of Swiss Miss to my Sumatra, a wee bit of Half & Half, and then topped the entire mug off with that great Peppermint Whipped Cream and Chocolate Dusting Powder.

It was so good, I had to force myself into drinking TWO mugs of it.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2165652;
    Since this is a coffee-related question, I'll post it here. Do you guys all grind your own whole coffee beans? I hear it tastes so much better than ground coffee. Thanks!
    Until I got my Flavia I did. I thought the taste was so much fresher than pre-ground. I've kept it and my old coffee maker around for times when I need a whole pot.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Thanks, cricketeen. So a lot has to do with the coffeemaker itself then, too.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

+ Reply to Thread