+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2151871;
    ...and I will get a free 20-rail selection the next time I place an order! The saga continues......
    Free coffee and it was UPS's fault! I know what it's like waiting for your coffee. In my case I waited almost 9 months to get my machine and coffee because it was sent to my cousin in the U.S. It took forever for me to get it from her. Flavia didn't send direct to Canada and it wasn't available in Linen's n Things up here at the time either.

Hang in there!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Well....my coffees finally arrived at 5:35 pm on 11/28! To say I was happy is an understatement.

I had checked the UPS tracking system so I knew it was on the truck, since 7:53 in the morning! It was funny, because all day long I could swear I heard the UPS truck coming down the street. My dog must have thought I was nuts because I kept going to the door to see if the package had arrived.

My little coffees had quite the roadtrip. Started out of Memphis, then went to Nashville. From there it went to Montgomery AL, then to Doraville, GA. From there it went to Spartanburg, SC, then to Greensboro, NC, then onto Richmond VA. I was thrilled to see that it finally got to Secaucus, NJ. (They were now north of the Mason-Dixon Line! ) From Secaucus, it finally made its way to my home in upstate NY.

I also won an EBay auction for 100 packets, and that package was shipped out on Monday. So I should be getting that by Friday.

Today I got an email from Flavia saying that they received my rebate form for the 36 free packets and that order is being shipped! Haven't gotten a tracking number yet, but it should be interesting to see how long this one takes and what route it goes!

I guess when it rains it really does pour!

Now I have to figure out where I am going to store all of them!
    Last edited by MamaC; 11-30-2006 at 02:55 AM. Reason: misspelling!

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    I'm so excited today, I've been reading all these wonderful posts about the Flavia machine and I was thinking about buying one. Today at work we got one in for a trial for a week. It's so exciting. I just made my first coffee and can't wait for another one. It's only free today so I'm going to get so caffinated today I'll be bouncing off the walls. If I can handle it I'm going to try all the flavours to see which ones I really like.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2161674;
    My little coffees had quite the roadtrip. Started out of Memphis, then went to Nashville. From there it went to Montgomery AL, then to Doraville, GA. From there it went to Spartanburg, SC, then to Greensboro, NC, then onto Richmond VA. I was thrilled to see that it finally got to Secaucus, NJ. (They were now north of the Mason-Dixon Line! ) From Secaucus, it finally made its way to my home in upstate NY.
    Too bad the package didn't have those old fashioned travel stickers on it, so you could see all the places it's been! That's some well traveled coffee, MamaC!

I also won an EBay auction for 100 packets, and that package was shipped out on Monday. So I should be getting that by Friday.
    They have Flavia coffees on ebay???!!! I had no idea you could bid on it; that must have been a great feeling to win the bid!

Now I have to figure out where I am going to store all of them!
    As I mentioned earlier, I have this great little basket that is the exact width of the packets and about 12" long. I have 2 packets of every flavour that I normally drink (leaving out the flavoured coffees which I drink only occassionally.) It fits nicely on the counter, alongside the machine and it makes it nice when friends are over and they can choose their flavour.

Otherwise, I store the rails in their original box, alphabetized and labeled on top, so I can easily see what stock I have and pull it out. Another member and I were laughing at our "labeling" the coffees....nerds RULE!!

Regarding the machines noises: When the machine is first turned on with each use, the water is being heated in the boiler so there should be a bubbly or perc-ing sound. Then, when it's brewing, it makes a loud humming. One of my machines is louder than the other but a defective one I had for a day vibrated all over the counter. It was replaced IMMEDIATELY by Flavia.

When the machine goes dormant (so it doesn't burn out the heating element) it will make a few whirls and grunts and then it goes into hibernation.

It does NOT need to be manually shut off, unless you travel extensively, like I do. The one at the cottage is shut off, and the entire hopper of water is dumped when I leave. Then, when I do come back (sometimes 2 months later), I fill the hopper, depress the left/right hand side buttons, turn on the machine and prime it, like you do when you initially turn the machine on.

I called Flavia about what to do when the machine isn't used for an extensive time and this is what they recommended. It turns out well, because no old water sits and gets skanky and when turned back on, the priming action flushes out any old water.

Sally and I had a minor catastrophe the other day. She went to make tea and came out to the living room, asking me, "Lambi, did you move the Flavia teas?" I went into the kitchen and "lo and behold", we had drunk every last package! Normally I replace the rails when I go back home (where the supplies are stashed) but I forgot to bring in rails this last time. We were such pouty babies, actually having to boil water in a saucepan and use tea bags! See, we gave the tea kettle away when we got the Flavia! Problem is fixed now; I went home and brought three 50 pack boxes of tea back to the city. Whew! A Brit without tea is NOT something anyone should see!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Congratulations MamaC!! You finally have your wonderful coffee!
    I'm with lambikins - never knew you could bid on some on e-bay.

lambikins: you ran out of Tea! Is Sally still talking to you? Goodness. That could have been nasty

I'm just making a decaf Hazlenut with chocolate torani syrup. Must re-order coffee. It keeps slipping my mind and I'm almost out!

I checked at Linens n Things and they don't carry the Flavia here in Canada.
    Last edited by misskitty; 12-01-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    One of the give-aways on The View this morning was our Flavia machine! They showed the ice blue one. Everybody in the audience got one!! I felt truly priviledged when they said it retailed for $129, and several of us got ours for $99, thanks to lambi!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Prhoshay.....I got mine for $79.99 at Linens N Things! I hesitated getting one from the Flavia website when I saw how they hiked the price up to $129.99 but when I saw it on sale at LNT for $99.99, I used the 20% off coupon from the circular and got it for $79.99! I missed the View today, but DVR'd it and can't wait to see it.

Right now there are over 30 auctions for Flavia coffees on EBay. One person is selling 14 CASES with a starting bid of $9.99. That's 1400 PACKETS of coffee! Yikes, that's about 4 coffees per day every day for almost a year! They had another auction for 14 cases last week that ended up going for $305.00 plus shipping. Don't know how much that would cost in shipping.

I bid and won an auction that stated OVER 100 packets. The guy said he wasn't sure how many were there, as they were all loose - not on rails - but said there was probably around 140. (I wondered if he didn't help himself to some on display at an office coffee station!) I actually counted and sorted 163 packets of coffees, teas, chocos, and creamy topping! I won the auction for $38.55 and shipping was $13.29. I also had a $25.00 credit on EBay so total cost out of my checking account was only $26.84!!!!

If anyone feels like bidding on EBay, just make sure that the seller lists the expiration dates for the packets.....or email them to ask for the expiration dates. I guess some people have sold outdated ones. :nono

There are also quite a few auctions for Flavia machines. The ones I have quickly glanced at are all brand new.

I am also tracking my next shipment from Flavia.....the 36 packets from my LNT rebate. That should be here tomorrow. This time it left Memphis, went to Nashville, then to Sharonville, OH, before ending up in Buffalo. It left B-lo at 10 p.m. and is on the NYS Thruway as I type!

Lambikins, I wish the box had been marked with all those stickers from the different states it had been too. I think that would have been cool!

I know exactly how you feel when you found out you ran out of tea. I had given my old coffeemaker to my son when my Flavia machine arrived. When I realized that I would not have any Flavia coffees for Thanksgiving, I had to tell him to bring it back so I wouldn't have to make instant coffee for my guests for Thanksgiving! My pride and joy....read "little snot"....asked if he could bring back a different one because he really liked my old one better than his old one. I really didn't care, I just needed to have something to make coffee!

What I did last weekend, while waiting for my coffees, was rearrange my cabinets and drawers in my kitchen. I ended up with an empty shelf in one of my cabinets, and I have my stash there. On my countertop, I put an old rubbermaid shelf organizer, that pens and pencils fit in, and the packets fit perfectly. I have several different flavours, some creamy toppings, Milky Way Swirls, and some tea. Hubby likes the Milky Way stuff; I haven't tried it yet!

When I get my shipment tomorrow, I will have 372 packets!

How often does everyone order coffees etc., from Flavia or that other site? I figure it will be quite a while before I need to place an order for anything!
    Last edited by MamaC; 12-02-2006 at 02:04 AM. Reason: typos

MamaC: That sounds like you got a great deal on your e-bay buy! That's a lot of coffee/tea you have there

I've been thinking of getting my sweetie a flavia as well. But I don't want to have to ship thru the US again. When I call to order more coffee, I'm going to ask why Linens N Things does carry it in Canada. That's a market that they could make money on!

Apologies for double-posting, but I decided to snoop around ebay and see what came up for Flavia. I can't believe it; Here's a new fusion machine for $24.95 U.S.!! It's in Scottsdale. What a deal! Anyone looking for a black and silver one?!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Flavia-Fusion-Esp...QQcmdZViewItem

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Thanks for link MissKitty. I placed a bid, we'll see how I make out. I ended up trying about 6 different combinations on Friday at work. They were all good. I work for the AMA and there is about 300 people in the building and I'm sure everyone had at least two or three cups during the free trial day. The big test will be on Monday if people are willing to pay the $0.60 per packet that they use. If it's not used that much during the trial they'll probably take it away and bring the old coffee machine back. I wasn't very impressed with the salesguy who was demonstrating the machine to everyone because he was telling the people that the Milky Way packet was a hot chocolate. Thank goodness for all the posts from the coffee devotees (or Fortees) that I was able to tell him no way it's a topping not a choco. This one girl listened to what the salesguy said and had made a Milky Way with a Creamy Topping so basically she had a creamy water. Yuck. He also hadn't brought any of the regular teas so I haven't tried those yet. One thing I wondered about though is how much coffee does one packet make. It seemed that when I used only 1 packet of coffee or tea it only filled the cup about 2/3 full. When I used the cappacino setting and the 2 packets it filled the cup about 3/4 full. Is that normal or do you think there's something wrong with the water settings? I think the cups were 12 oz.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

+ Reply to Thread