+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    Our coffee machine just came in and it's a FLAVIA

We have many selections: 3 types of teas (Earl Grey, Green tea and English Breakfast), as well as Lemon comfort (I think). A creamy topping, a cacao and coffees (Costa Rica, Espresso, French Roat Decaf, House Blend, Sumatra).

I tried the Cappucino with Espresso and it was delicious. My colleague had the Costa Rica (4/5 in strength) and she found it good, not too strong.

They are $1CAN for the coffee and $1,25CAN for the blends that need 2 bags (like Cappucino).

Here's the bad news: The distributor can get me one for homes. But it will cost me $295CAN. When I told him Flavia sells is for less than $100US, he said that FLAVIA are reviewing their price, because they are selling like hotcakes and $90 is almost cost price. So no FLAVIA for me. Since I'm at work more than at home, almost, I don't mind as much as I thought I would.
    THIS is you, DesertRose, with your new machine! Most of my friends are in the same boat as you: More time in the Office than Home. Well, if that's the case, then you've got a least a tiny bit of warm comfort at work with your new machine!!!

Congrats and try the Sumatra, my favourite flavour!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Well then, DesertRose, I guess I'm glad I got one when I did if they are thinking of raising the price. If the price had been higher than it is now I wouldn't have bought it.

DesertRose: Did you check with the Flavia site directly? As a distributor, he will definitely have a mark-up on everything. And just because they are reviewing their price doesn't mean it's actually changed. You might be able to get it at the lower price still. It lists today at $129.99 including the starter kit. The rails appear to cost the same as when I ordered in Jan.

So glad you can enjoy it at the office though! What a nice company you work for! I guess I should order some now before the price goes up. I'm going to stick with the coffees and I usually have more than one cup of tea at a time. I can do that from scratch, the old way, like boil a kettle.

BTW, why would a company raise it's prices when it's become popular? That makes no sense to me. Usually prices come down when volume goes up. That's the way economics went when I was in school.
    Last edited by misskitty; 10-13-2006 at 02:09 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I found a new way to make my cappuccino's even nicer! I had some extra bit of unwhipped whipping cream in the frig, so I poured a tablespoon of it in my tall mug, a teaspoon of sugar and then use the Creamy Topping, hitting the frothing device. Man O Man....the topping looks like I hauled out the egg beater it's so high and just yummy! Used French Roast in the drink, sprinkled the chocolate on top and I'm now on my 2nd cuppa!

Looks like I'll be a Night Owl for sure, with THAT much caffeine in my system!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

lambikins: Oh....you put unwhipped cream and it frothed it up too! Marvelous! I would be bouncing around like that too after a couple cappucino's

I sent an e-mail to Flavia to see why they don't send direct to Canada. I think they should. I'll let you know if I ever hear back.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2103113;
    lambikins: Oh....you put unwhipped cream and it frothed it up too! Marvelous! I would be bouncing around like that too after a couple cappucino's

I sent an e-mail to Flavia to see why they don't send direct to Canada. I think they should. I'll let you know if I ever hear back.
    Necessity was the Mother of that invention, misskitty! I adore, with an unnatural passion, the cappuccino feature on the Flavia, but the Creamy Topping consists of Skim Milk (shudder) so my drinks were never as rich as I like them. So, having a bit of whipping cream left in the carton, I decided to try adding a tablespoon to the empty mug, put in my sugar and then use the Creamy Topping, followed by the French Roast.

The results were incredible. I've used milk, in the past, but the coffee ends up too diluted, but the whipping cream (unwhipped) is so dense and rich that when it's frothed, it foams up to a SUPER impressive head. Then, adding the coffee to it just makes for such a pleasurable experience. Since trying this, I've had to curtail my drinks: I had three yesterday--2 in the morning and one at lunch and I was up to 1:30 am!!!

Today, I've only had 2 and am keeping it at that! Well, maybe just one more cappuccino later.....

Well, did I ever get a COOL SURPRISE this afternoon while at Le Cirque! (see good news thread). In the private suite that we had tickets to there was a FLAVIA coffee machine on the counter!!! No-one knew how to use it except me!

It was larger than the personal one I had at home, and there was only the House blend available on the counter. I didn't dare snoop for other flavors. So I was able to make a couple of cups for two of the other guests in the suite during the break before the show started.

I felt just too cool for words. I'm never the cool girl.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2103606;
    Well, did I ever get a COOL SURPRISE this afternoon while at Le Cirque! (see good news thread). In the private suite that we had tickets to there was a FLAVIA coffee machine on the counter!!! No-one knew how to use it except me!

It was larger than the personal one I had at home, and there was only the House blend available on the counter. I didn't dare snoop for other flavors. So I was able to make a couple of cups for two of the other guests in the suite during the break before the show started.

I felt just too cool for words. I'm never the cool girl.
    It never matters when it happens: Becoming the "Cool Girl" is always a deep thrill!

misskitty: YOU rock!

Thank you lambikins!
    I'm still tickled about it today.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2104408;
    Thank you lambikins!
    I'm still tickled about it today.
    I hope you wore your "bored with this routine" expression while brewing it. You know, the one that says where have you people BEEN!

+ Reply to Thread