+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

My boss just told me that we are getting one for work. It probably won't be a Flavia, because our offices are in Canada, but a Tassimo or anything similar, really, will be great. for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    My boss just told me that we are getting one for work. It probably won't be a Flavia, because our offices are in Canada, but a Tassimo or anything similar, really, will be great. for me.
    You have one heck of a nice boss, DesertRose!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

My boss is great, but he's not the one who decided on the coffee machine. We are a huge company and most of these decisions are made in Waterloo, Ontario. Still happy.

I am thinking of getting this for a Christmas present for someone who loves coffee. However they don't like flavored coffee drinks (eg: hazelnut, French Vanilla, etc.), but do enjoy cappuccinos, mochas, etc. How does the Flavia do with just regular coffee/cappuccinos?

Also any advantage from ordering from the Flavia website ($129.95) verses Amazon ($119.95). Amazon is offering a coupon (for orders > $125) plus they mention that 34 drinks are included. (Only blue and red; black is out of stock). Hopefully they will sell the coffee soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChgoBurbs View Post
    I am thinking of getting this for a Christmas present for someone who loves coffee. However they don't like flavored coffee drinks (eg: hazelnut, French Vanilla, etc.), but do enjoy cappuccinos, mochas, etc. How does the Flavia do with just regular coffee/cappuccinos?

Also any advantage from ordering from the Flavia website ($129.95) verses Amazon ($119.95). Amazon is offering a coupon (for orders > $125) plus they mention that 34 drinks are included. (Only blue and red; black is out of stock). Hopefully they will sell the coffee soon.
    Well, ChgoBurbs, this is what I think vs. what I know.

I don't know if you've visited the Flavia site, but previously, the machine was $99.00 and then you got a box of drink packs at a discount; it normally was $30.00 and it was discounted to $20.00. So that sounds pretty close to what Amazon is offering.

However, and this is a BIG however, if you have a faulty Flavia machine, how good is Amazon in handling problems? They are a second party merchant, reselling it from Flavia, like BEST BUY selling ipods.

My second Flavia machine was faulty from the moment that I plugged it in. Fortunately, I had another one as a basis of comparison or I wouldn't have known the difference. The 2nd one shuddered so badly that the entire machine and counter shook when it was used. I kept it for 2 weeks, thinking that it would "get better and go away" but it didn't. I called up Flavia, explained to them what the problem was and THEY COULDN'T HAVE BEEN BETTER IF I PAID THEM!!!

The service tech was SO apologetic! He admitted that they had received some faulty machines, took down my information,and asked when I was going to be home because they were going to ship another one to me IMMEDIATELY! Now, I still HAD their machine; for all they knew, I could be a scammer and get another one for free. But, he just told me to wrap up the old machine as best as I could (I had the original box so it was easy), leave it by my back door and UPS would exchange it for me. "This way," he explained, "you don't have to go a day without your coffee."

Now, how COOL is that????

He also, working it into the conversation, found out what my favourite coffees and teas were and through in a couple of extra rails of each for me.

Two days later, sure enough, I came home and a new Flavia box was there, ready for my evening tea. Never in my life have I had a company treat me so well. I have undying loyalty to them.

I've also gotten phone calls from Flavia, telling me, "We see that you've ordered Darjeeling tea in the past and just want to let you know that we're discontinuing it. So if you'd like to order some before we sell out, you have to call the 800 number." <<
    When I called the number, the sales person was as nice as can be and when we were chatting, she said, "I see that you've never ordered any of our fruit teas." I said, "No, I'm not really a fan." She then preceded to tell me that she'd send me some free packages of each type: the blueberry, raspberry and lemon...and to go onto their site where they had recipes for different uses for the tea. And sure enough, when I got my monster box of packets, there were 6 free samples of tea.

I know, that for the jaded, these people are "just doing their job." Well, they appear to be one of 3 companies left in America that ARE doing their jobs. I can't tell you the amount of times that I've left a place, only to find out that the sales person hasn't told me about a sale, a 2 for 1 price or some piece of information that would have had me gladly spending more money.

Additionally, ChgoSuburbs, if you want to help a FoRT member out, Flavia has a "Share with a Friend" policy, that if someone who has ordered one of their machines refers a new person, that original customer receives $50.00 of free drinks. It's completely up to each person if they want to honor that, but what the heck: if a bunch of us are ordering machines, wouldn't YOU want $50.00 bucks of free coffee and tea that YOU choose??

Regarding regular coffee: the only machine that makes BETTER coffee than a Flavia is a French Press and I am sooooooo done with them. What a frickin' mess to clean up! Only time I have French Press coffee is when I go out and have someone else clean the pot!

The cappuccino's that the machine makes are just fine and one of my favourite drinks, using the creamy topping first and then either French Roast or Espresso. Are they equal to a $4.50 hand-frothed cappuccino from a coffee bar? Of course not! But, they only cost $1.00 to make (2 packets @ .50 cents each = $1.00) and I don't have to tip anyone. So, I can make two cappuccinos in the morning for $2.00 bucks and have a happy smile on my face all day long.

Hope this helps you make a decision. Whichever way you go, your friend is lucky to have you!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

ChgoBurbs: Yes! Order direct from Flavia! Excellent points lambikins

DesertRose: I didn't realize you were a Canuck! Here in Alberta, because of the 'booming economy' (of which I receive no benefit) a regular cup of coffee at Tim Horton's has gone up 10 cents and a cup of Starbucks is up 15 cents. I kissed my Flavia when I heard that

I'm sure you will enjoy your Tassimo. Sounds like a great company you work for. Nice perks.... pardon the pun
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty
    Nice perks.... pardon the pun
    Actually, that pun was SO good, it needs no pardon!

Glad that you think they were good points, misskitty. Because I'm in the business of construction, I'm always having to give quotes. When I come in 30% more expensive than other companies, the home owner or architect naturally asks "Why?"

My response, like the Flavia company, "Because we do it correctly the 1st time! And if there is a problem, we fix it instantly."

That usually does the trick. When people buy things, they hardly ever plan on things going wrong and how easy or difficult it will be to fix. Sadly, Sally is on her 3rd ipod....YES! the 3rd. BEST BUY replaced it instantly both times; that service package was invaluable. Now, if I could get a service package on Flavia, my life would be grand!

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    ... my life would be grand!
    Ahhh lambikins. Take a moment and think. Life is already GRAND!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Ahhh lambikins. Take a moment and think. Life is already GRAND!
    Hm-m-m-m...I'm thinking, I'm thinking....you're RIGHT, misskitty! It is Hand-Stand Grand! Thanks for reminding me!

Our coffee machine just came in and it's a FLAVIA

We have many selections: 3 types of teas (Earl Grey, Green tea and English Breakfast), as well as Lemon comfort (I think). A creamy topping, a cacao and coffees (Costa Rica, Espresso, French Roat Decaf, House Blend, Sumatra).

I tried the Cappucino with Espresso and it was delicious. My colleague had the Costa Rica (4/5 in strength) and she found it good, not too strong.

They are $1CAN for the coffee and $1,25CAN for the blends that need 2 bags (like Cappucino).

Here's the bad news: The distributor can get me one for homes. But it will cost me $295CAN. When I told him Flavia sells is for less than $100US, he said that FLAVIA are reviewing their price, because they are selling like hotcakes and $90 is almost cost price. So no FLAVIA for me. Since I'm at work more than at home, almost, I don't mind as much as I thought I would.

+ Reply to Thread