+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 369

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

  1. #161
    Shoveling the ocean MissThing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Camp Quicherbichen
    Posts
    3,947
    Just one other suggestion - I like dry creamer, I use both Flavia's own, and store bought brands. When I'm ready to brew a treat, I put the dry creamer in the bottom, then run a coffee packet through the 'choco/other' setting twice, and I get my perfect, frothy coffee. The strength of the brew seems to be about the same as when I use milk and run the machine at 5 and 2.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

  2. #162
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    Just one other suggestion - I like dry creamer, I use both Flavia's own, and store bought brands. When I'm ready to brew a treat, I put the dry creamer in the bottom, then run a coffee packet through the 'choco/other' setting twice, and I get my perfect, frothy coffee. The strength of the brew seems to be about the same as when I use milk and run the machine at 5 and 2.
    WHAT A GREAT IDEA, MissThing!!! I've never even considered dry creamer, having the unfounded prejudice against it from years of seeing a dirty canister of it at my auto mechanics.

    I'll have to try some of that next time I head out to the grocery store; thanks for passing that tip along!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

    "lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

    "lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

  3. #163
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811
    Let me get this straight. You run the same packet through the 'choco/other', or do you use 2 coffee packets?

    By the way, I just had Italian Roast for the first time....and I had a little vanilla ice cream left over which I put in the cup before I brewed it........YUM!!!!!

    Talk about a hallelujah moment!!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  4. #164
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Let me get this straight. You run the same packet through the 'choco/other', or do you use 2 coffee packets?

    By the way, I just had Italian Roast for the first time....and I had a little vanilla ice cream left over which I put in the cup before I brewed it........YUM!!!!!

    Talk about a hallelujah moment!!!!!
    Is your "Hallelujah" moment over yet, prhoshay I don't want to take you away from a transendential experience....

    Speaking only for me: From the very, very beginning, we've run the SAME coffee or tea packet through the machine TWO TIMES IN A ROW with incredible results.

    First off, even using the largest volume setting (unmarked #5), the tea or coffee is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too intense for any of us, unless we're making an iced coffee or tea and you need concentrated flavour. So, for various brews, we'll first heat up the milk in the microwave, dump in the sugar, and then hit #5, let the machine heat back up, and then hit #3 or #4, depending on how intense we want it. That fills a 16 ounce mug up to the top, which is exactly how we like it.

    Michele, however, our roomie, ONLY uses the #5 button ONCE; she likes intensely strong coffee.

    I'd be up for weeks if I drank it like that!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

    "lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

    "lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

  5. #165
    Shoveling the ocean MissThing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Camp Quicherbichen
    Posts
    3,947
    I do use the same packet of coffee 2x in a row. Just like Lambi, even for 'straight' coffee, I put it through at 5, and then at 2. It did take me a bit to find my 'personal' setting, but then, I also have a Sleep Number bed .

    As for using the dry creamer, Lambi, some of them are quite sweet, so be sure to check the ingredients and avoid as much "xxxxose" as you can, if you don't care for the sweet addition. Flavia sells their own Latte Creamer, and I bought a case of that. It's dry, unlike the Creamy Topping. It's also inexpensive (by Flavia prices), it does not add a sweet taste. I like things sweet, so I add my own sweetner of choice. I also like things a light color, so I use 2 of the Latte Creamers for 2 times through the Choco/Other setting.

    I do, however, like heavier tasting coffee, if you follow. So, my current favorites are French, Italian and even (yes!) Espresso roasts. Once in a great while, I'll have a flavored variety (mostly Hazlenut), but I generally stick to my more European favorites.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

  6. #166
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    I do use the same packet of coffee 2x in a row. Just like Lambi, even for 'straight' coffee, I put it through at 5, and then at 2. It did take me a bit to find my 'personal' setting, but then, I also have a Sleep Number bed .

    As for using the dry creamer, Lambi, some of them are quite sweet, so be sure to check the ingredients and avoid as much "xxxxose" as you can, if you don't care for the sweet addition. Flavia sells their own Latte Creamer, and I bought a case of that. It's dry, unlike the Creamy Topping. It's also inexpensive (by Flavia prices), it does not add a sweet taste. I like things sweet, so I add my own sweetner of choice. I also like things a light color, so I use 2 of the Latte Creamers for 2 times through the Choco/Other setting.

    I do, however, like heavier tasting coffee, if you follow. So, my current favorites are French, Italian and even (yes!) Espresso roasts. Once in a great while, I'll have a flavored variety (mostly Hazlenut), but I generally stick to my more European favorites.
    Thanks for telling me to read the labels on dry creamers, MissThing; having never purchased one, I would naively thought they were all alike.

    I agree with the -ing of the heavier coffees: French Roast is hands down favourite, followed by the intense Sumatra, then Sidamo Gold and Espresso Roast. The lighter ones, like Columbia and Costa Rica I reserve for my 2nd or 3rd cuppa coffee.

    NOTE TO ALL FLAVIA DRINKERS: They have discontinued carrying Darjeeling Tea and it's only available via phone, so they can check inventory. Next to Earl Grey, it's our 2nd fave, so I ordered 3 boxes of it, so it will last for some time....I hope. But, Sally being British and all, she flies through the tea Flavia's like they were candy, so they'll probably be gone by Christmas! No announcements from Flavia as to if they're adding another dark leaf tea.

    I've also noticed that they've dropped their shipping charges, too.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

    "lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

    "lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

  7. #167
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704
    My name is misskitty and I'm addicted to my Flavia. There. I said it. Oh how wonderful to get a nice hot great cup of joe whenever I want.

    I had no idea you could run the coffee pack through twice! I have to go dig in my garbage for this last pack. Just a moment. Ok. Didn't know about the dry creamers Miss Thing...thanks! I've been running them at #5 once...no wonder I'm hyper!

    I really like the Sumatra, House Blend, Expresso, and Columbian. I would normally only have those in the morning because then I am really wired for the whole day. I like my Hazlenut and House blend decaf and Irish Cream as well. The creamy topping is quite fun but I can pass on the Milky Way as some of you also indicated. I haven't tried the hot chocolate yet. Waiting for snow.

    I haven't tried all the teas yet, but my absolute fav so far is the blueberry. I put in some grand marnier and it's most wonderful on a cold evening.

    I'm combining some of my Torani syrups in with the coffees with interesting results. Hazlenut or chocolate.

    prhoshay: I'm wanting a "hallelujah moment" too! *adds vanilla ice cream to shopping list*
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  8. #168
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811
    By the way, misskitty, I found the Torani Pumpkin Spice syrup!! I can get it from Amazon, but I'm going to check Starbuck's first. I'm guessing that Amazon will beat them in price. Pumpkin Spice weather is upon us!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  9. #169
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704
    Prhoshay! Let me know how it tastes! Do you add it to your coffee or just a hot cup of milk?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  10. #170
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811
    I've only had it in hot tea, but it is most satisfying. I would think it would be good in some coffees, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.