+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: New-Fangled Coffee Makers

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Announcement: It's been 9 loooong months but I finally (got) delivered a shiny black FLAVIA!!! My cousin just brought it up from Seattle and I've taken it out of the carboard shipping box....Mr. Tootles new toy-toy! I haven't made a cup of anything as I'm making sure I have all the parts and what-nots so I don't ruin it.

I'm so excited....and I just can't hide it...I'm about to lose control and I think I like it ....OOoo OOO.
    Oh. My. God.!!! Hip-Hip-Hooray!!! Hip-Hip-Hooray, misskitty!!! You could have gotten pregnant and delivered the in the length of time it took you to finally receive your Flavia!

I sure hope that it lives up to all the hype for you. From my perspective, it's changed our lives: meaning not only mine but Sally's and our roommates, too! We've become so accustomed to the instant gratification and the ability to have ANY type of tea or coffee within reach, that I'll admit we've turned into spoiled coffee brats!

To make things more obsessive, we now travel with our Flavia....I know, I know... ....pathetic to be sure, but we LOVE it! I house-sit extensively for customer's and the very FIRST thing that is packed when we go away is the Flavia machine. We've also taken it on vacation with us to our hotel rooms; it makes ALL the difference in the world, being able to have a wonderously hot cuppa Darjeeling or French Roast when you want it, rather than hunting for the nearest Starbuck's (if they even exist where we vacation) or going to the hotel coffee shop. I have a sturdy canvas bag that the machine slides right inside of and we stick a bunch of rails of tea and coffee along side the machine and Bingo-Bango...all the comforts of home!

But then, I'm also the type of seasoned traveler that also travels with scented candles and a collapsible vase so we can have fresh flowers and beautiful scents in our room, too.

Let us know what you think, misskitty!!! I'm sooooooo very happy for you!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thank you everyone....I just had my first cup of Flavia House Blend, yummy! Going to try an Irish Cream next! Love the smell of the coffee when it's made.

I managed to get through the start up priming tasks without a problem. The coffee wasn't really hot, but I think I know where I went wrong. I really like that I can use the FREE travel mug or a regular mug as well. FABULOUS!

My black sleek unit is looking very fine in my B&W kitchen. Right choice of color! Even though the blue is sweet.

lambikins: You take the machine and supplies with you? Oh MY! You are a smitten addicted customer, for sure It's really nice to see you spoil yourselves that way while you travel. You are just too cool!

Two questions off the bat:

#1 - Where, oh where, do you keep your rails of coffee? Are they supposed to hang somewhere? I didn't order the pretty box to keep the coffee in? Should I have? The drinks medley box has places to keep them, but not enough room for my extra rails. Any ideas?

#2 - Have you brewed two packets of coffee, one after the other in order to fill a really big mug? One package with water seems to do a small cup.

Later tonight, I'm going to try out the two-step process with creamy topping and sprinkles! .

This is just way too much fun for someone who rarely goes out for coffee. Way less expensive than Starbucks or Second Cup!

WOO HOO!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thank you everyone....I just had my first cup of Flavia House Blend, yummy! Going to try an Irish Cream next! Love the smell of the coffee when it's made.

I managed to get through the start up priming tasks without a problem. The coffee wasn't really hot, but I think I know where I went wrong. I really like that I can use the FREE travel mug or a regular mug as well. FABULOUS!

My black sleek unit is looking very fine in my B&W kitchen. Right choice of color! Even though the blue is sweet.

lambikins: You take the machine and supplies with you? Oh MY! You are a smitten addicted customer, for sure It's really nice to see you spoil yourselves that way while you travel. You are just too cool!
    PARTY at misskitty's!!!

I my coffee and tea; on a normal daily basis I'll have two cups in the morning and 1-3 cups of tea in the evening. Sally has 1 cuppa tea in the morning and 1-3 cups of tea at night. That's on a NORMAL day! If I'm doing paperwork or really need to crank out the work, I'll have a cup an hour, of whatever.

When we housesit, there's a different coffee maker, or WORSE....NO COFFEE MAKER OR TEA POT in the entire house! These are people who either Starbuck's 100% or ~shudder~ microwave their coffee or tea....blech!!!. I got tired of having to search for filters, or be forced to BUY filters or even forgetting to bring my own tea and coffee beans. If I'm staying anywhere longer than 2 days....the Flavia comes with!

Actually, I have two machines now and thinking about buying a third. One is at my city apartment (that's the one that goes traveling with us); one is at my cottage in Michigan, and the potential third one would be permanently either the traveling Flavia or apartment Flavia, 'cause the roomies are kicking up a fuss when we take away the machine. For $99.00 bucks, to me it's worth having an extra machine around; a $10/day Starbuck's habit pays for a machine in less than 2 weeks!

I answered your questions behind your original ones.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty
    Two questions off the bat:

#1 - Where, oh where, do you keep your rails of coffee? Are they supposed to hang somewhere? I didn't order the pretty box to keep the coffee in? Should I have? The drinks medley box has places to keep them, but not enough room for my extra rails. Any ideas?
    For everyday use, I have this GREAT little basket that I found at a Dollar Store that fits 20 Flavia packets, right behind each other. It sits, looking very Continental and Cool, on the counter next to the machine and the sugar bowl. I replenish the teas and coffees each night; it's a fun Adrian Monk thing I like to do. The roomies have their own rails that they keep in their food shelves.

The rest of the coffee and tea I store in one of their shipping boxes: it's about 14" x 16" and fits 20 rails beautifully. Now, don't laugh....please...but I take a black Magic Marker and write the name of each rail on the top of it and then break it down to "Teas" "Coffee-Regular" "Coffee Decaf"...and then alphabetize it. I know....I know....OCD tendencies here but it takes minutes to do this and I don't require anyone else to do it. So, when I open up the Master Box, I have Earl Grey, English Breakfast and Darjeeling, followed byCosta Rica, Creamy Topping, Etc. It makes inventory control a snap so that I can see when I'm running low on a rail and keep a "Order" list handy. (In defense of my need for orderliness: my job demands it and it's flowed over into my personal life...)

#2 - Have you brewed two packets of coffee, one after the other in order to fill a really big mug? One package with water seems to do a small cup.
    Really BIG mugs are the ONLY thing that I drink from, like 16 oz to 20 oz! What we do at our house is hit #5 (or the largest ounce setting) and let it brew. Wait a few seconds for the machine to heat up again and then hit either #3 or #4 in ounces to top it off. I like my coffee super hot, so it would get too cold for me if I put more coffee in the mug to begin with. If I want more coffee, I simply brew another packet.

One of my favourite drinks is Creamy Topping, frothed with the extreme left hand button, and then French Roast at #5 setting, poured into it. Way back at the start of this thread I took a photo of my cappaccino in my glass mug; I wrap up our mugs, too, and take them with us when we leave so it feels more like home.

Later tonight, I'm going to try out the two-step process with creamy topping and sprinkles! .

This is just way too much fun for someone who rarely goes out for coffee. Way less expensive than Starbucks or Second Cup!

WOO HOO!
    Hope you find out why the coffee isn't too hot; mine registers at 170 degrees. And "Woo" and "Hoo" to your having such innocent fun!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I found the Christmas photo of my half-consumed Chai Tea. Now it's got me all romantic about Christmas and snow. I'm bored with Summer.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I thought that the marking of the rails with the Magic Marker was my unique idea!!! I guess GMTA!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Hey lambikins!

The Flavia is actually a good deal. I had a cup from the Tassimo machine which was good (earlier in the thread), but it's actually a more expensive machine than the Flavia. I really do need to convince Flavia to deliver to Canada. What are they thinkin? It's COLD up here most of the year, and we luvs our coffee and tea too!

A tisket, a tasket, a neet little coffee basket .... GREAT idea luv!
    I actually do have the extra rails in the shipping box but I don't have enough to fill it. And your OCD idea of marking the top of the rails is super! I love the sound of "Master Box". OOOooooo.

..Hope you find out why the coffee isn't too hot; mine registers at 170 degrees.
    I think I added water and didn't let it heat up after I primed it. Also, I added a bit of cold milk so that didn't help.

...And "Woo" and "Hoo" to your having such innocent fun!
    Gawd, that sounds so pathetically boring. Heavy Sigh.
    ---------
    E.T.A. prhoshay: what does GMTA stands for?
    lambikins: I remember your pink feathery tree! Mine has those too! Great minds.....
    Last edited by misskitty; 09-08-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Boring~schmoring! I'd rather sound "boring" to my friends than have to explain where $150 disappeared because I got too drunk at a party!

Ahhhh...the Case of the Cold Milk.

Been there.

Done that.

Solved it.

I place my milk in a pre-warmed mug (running hot water over it) and then *pop* it into the microwave for 25-40 seconds to heat up the milk piping hot. (I always had my milk scalded at Starbuck's so I like that taste.) Then, I hit the various buttons and voila! HOT-HOT coffee! (Or tea, Sally just said!) But, we learned that the hard way when we made tea kettle tea; dumping in cold milk after it brewed, bringing the temperature down to tepid...ick!

misskitty: Take an unused packet with you to Pier 1, a Dollar Store or a Thrift store and see how they fit. I think my basket was originally designed to hold crackers which is why it's so thin. It just looks nice on the counter and when friends stop by, they know immediately where to go to, to serve themselves. Plus, the machines ~whiz-bang~ noises are always a big hit! When Michele's little neice, Sukie, (age 4) comes over, she always demands a "cuppa magic tea" before she settles down. Cute kid.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay
    I thought that the marking of the rails with the Magic Marker was my unique idea!!! I guess GMTA!!!
    Sure glad that I wasn't laughed at, phrhoshay & misskitty. If you want to take it one step further, as I did but was too embarrassed to write about, I use three different color markers to denote the differences so friends can easily serve themselves and it's easy to see in a hurry. The Teas are marked with Brown markers, the coffees with Red Markers and the decaff coffee with Blue markers. It also helps if a rail gets out of place, as is often the case with Sally when she's in a rush.
    Last edited by lambikins; 09-08-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks for the hot milk suggestion. Going to do that

Now, color coding your rails of coffee and tea.....well, that sounds like something my mother would do Oh and she'd have a list to check off and initial so she knew who had how much of what as well. Too funny.

Thanks for the hot milk suggestion. Going to do that

Now, color coding your rails of coffee and tea.....well, that sounds like something my mother would do Oh and she'd have a list to check off and initial so she knew who had how much of what as well. Too funny.
    I'm probably 12 seconds away from having implimented that, too, if I hadn't INSISTED that the other roomies buy their own rails. I only trust the 'Honor System' so far and didn't want to put a deadbolt lock on the machine.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    misskitty, "GMTA" stands for Great Minds Think Alike. Now!...get jiggidy with it!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread