+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Christmas Help

First Christmas Help

This is my daughter's first Christmas, and I would like to start her on a collection of dolls. Does anyone have a suggestion on a type to collect, or another type of collection. I would like to have something that I can give her for special occasions.

My son's greatgrandmother gives all of her greatgrandchildren the annual silver dollars for Christmas. I think that is also a nice collection, plus it doesn't take much space. I do not know anything about collectible dolls, but that sounds so neat for a girl .
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    This is my daughter's first Christmas, and I would like to start her on a collection of dolls. Does anyone have a suggestion on a type to collect, or another type of collection. I would like to have something that I can give her for special occasions.
    When my niece lived with me I decorated her room with porcelin dolls I had been collecting for her and she ( at age 5 ) LOVED it! Barbie dolls work but there is always the temptation to take them out of the box!!

I think dolls are a great idea and would suggest porcelin. Maybe they could "grow with her"? Start with a baby doll?????

Lots of luck!
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

For my granddaughter, I started giving her a special ornament each year, I did it with my kids and now they make their own tree in their bedroom full of the ornaments they have received.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    I sure don't want to rain on your parade, 2boysmom, but with the girl's in my life, not a single one of them "plays with dolls."

From Claire, best friend's daughters, age 17, 14, and 11, to my client's daughter's ranging in age from 1 year to 5, NONE of these girl's are into dolls. Sports rule their lives and the younger set is into Leap Frog games; even when I house-sit at these homes, I don't see dolls in their rooms or on their beds. I know that for Claire's girls, her parents and in-laws tried both Barbie and the American Girl Dolls; the reaction, so I've heard, was like the girl's receiving socks, and ugly ones at that. This year, what all of her girl's want are Sport Jersey's with their favorite teams logos on them.

And this isn't all about young girls, for Sally, my partner who is 26 years old, never owned a doll in her life! She loved trucks and games and when relatives would hint at dolls, she'd just look at them, wrinkle her nose and say a polite, "No." She still hates dolls.

Now, I'm not saying don't get her one, but just be clear on just WHO is getting the doll: you or your daughter. At one year's old, she can't tell if it's a stuffed dog or doll, so perhaps waiting to see (until older) if she enjoys playing with dolls would be the more satisfying route for you to go. I know that even though I was a mad-fiend for ALL things Barbie when I was growing up, when my mom tried to foist porcelain dolls on me when I was in my teens, I'd give them immediately back to her. It took her several years and arguments to understand that HER tastes and mine were quite different!

I'd go with what aliasmq said, regarding the ornaments, which is also what I was planning on posting, if she didn't. Claire began to give each of her girls an ornament for Christmas and now that the ornaments number in the teens, per girl, we came up with a unique and fun way to display them. When you have close to 30 "special" ornaments for the girls, fights started to begin, during tree trimming, because naturally, all the girls wanted THEIR ornaments to be on the front of the tree. I suggested to Claire that she begin to purchase individual fresh wreaths for the girls, to hang onto their bedroom doors, and the ornaments could go on them! She's now done this for the third year and the girls are so "into" this and excited by it! When it's time to pick out a tree, each girl gets to select her wreath and decorate it herself; it's really become a wonderful tradition for these kids (they almost like it more than the group tree-trimming.

Plus, when you give them individual ornaments, you can tailor it to what's going on in their live that year...plus, when they leave home, they have all the makings for their first tree/wreath, away. Claire's eldest daughter is going away to Berkley next year, and might not want to come home. However, she'll have her 17 ornaments, commemorating her life, to remind her of where's she's been. Somehow, I doubt that a 17 year old girl would drag 17 porcelain dolls with her to campus.

But, if "dolls it is" and you feel strongly about it, I'd go with the All American Girl Dolls since they also have clothes that you could buy your daughter and a healthier outlook on life than Impossible Barbie. Plus, they teach history, and that's always good.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I loved the American Girls books as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    I loved the American Girls books as a kid
    Apparently, so does Julia Roberts who produced the latest AG movie, which got pretty good reviews. There store on Michigan Avenue is always a bee-hive of activity and up and down Michigan Avenue, you see wee girls dragging their Samantha's and Molly's along.

I just wish I knew a girl who wanted one!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I just wish I knew a girl who wanted one!
    I want one! I want one!
    Seriously - I loved dolls as a kid, and still do as an adult. My niece, who is almost 3 is the same - she adores all her "babies".
    I would suggest you get a book on dolls and/or collecting. That way, you can spend your money wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana View Post
    I want one! I want one!
    Seriously - I loved dolls as a kid, and still do as an adult. My niece, who is almost 3 is the same - she adores all her "babies".
    I would suggest you get a book on dolls and/or collecting. That way, you can spend your money wisely.
    I do too but was ashamed to admit it!!!

JAFO'S PRINCESS and Ana Bannana: Why do you think that I know so much about American Girl dolls???!!! I seriously want one, too!

My secret indulgence is to go to the store on Michigan Avenue and spend hours looking at the clothes and accessories! I've even toyed with the idea of buying the mini AMGD's for myself, but then I shake my head and go, sadly "No." I love their costumes, their stories, the accessories, but am afraid that once I start, I'm going to become one of those scary old ladies with a bedroom full of dolls, staring at you into the night!

I just keep my money in my wallet and "spend" my wishes at the store.

(P.S. Molly is my favorite! I love her eye glasses and the store sells several different pairs!)
    Last edited by lambikins; 12-14-2005 at 03:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast