+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What do you want for Christmas/The Holidays?

MRD
    layaway is my best friend. You don't have to pick it up until Dec. 15 usually.

the last couple of years, my best friend and I used her mom's house. Her mom got remarried and moved out of state, so we could take things over there, we even had a wrapping party over there.

Lois, I have complete faith that one day, maybe not this christmas, but one day you will get a little angel of your own. Believe (I always like seeing this word at Christmas because to me it sums up the whole season whether religious or Santa, it tells you to believe in the spirit and magic of Christmas)

I want a kitchen aid mixer and an ipod. Just small little inexpensive items, nothing really. Oh and Peace on Earth. Wait this isn't the Miss America Thread, its Christmas. Well Peace in the middle east would be a nice gift too. I'd forgo the kitchen aid and ipod for that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2 View Post
    That is where you can go to a place like Wal Mart, get basically everything you need in one shot put 10% down and then make payments. Once it is all paid for you take it home. (They store it in the back of the store for you)

I tried to do that a couple of years ago but our Wal Mart quit doing it (which I didn't find out until I went TO the LAYAWAY desk ) I mean why have a layaway desk if you don't do layaways??

I would call the stores where you usually get the most of your gifts and ask if they have layaway and what they're policy is on it. How long they will keep it, the % you have to put down etc. It really is a good way to shop for both the cost and hiding factors.
    Exactly.

A couple of other nice things about it are if you decide you can't get it, they will refund the money you paid already. And, my favorite, most places will cut the prices of what you have on layaway if they go on sale after you have already put them on layaway. The Walmart by me does this, but only once so you have to watch closely to see what will get you the better deal.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

cool ! I had no idea you could do that! I usually save and pay cash
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I have discovered Ebay (or evilBay according to Dux )this year and hubby and I have agreed that we will use that to do a fair bit of our Christmas shopping. I have been lucky on getting some great deals and it comes with hiding material! Also living in the north we have little to choose from and unless I want to do a massive shopping spree (thus spending a fortune) and go to Edmonton I am hooped.

Again, I want nothing this year. I have everything I need. I'm really hoping I can get everyone on board with a no gift policy this year. I am planning on buying some toys for one of the Christmas programs for poor kids this year, but in my own life I don't know anyone who is lacking for stuff and in fact, everyone I know has far too much stuff already.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Stocking Stuffer/Loot bag Alert!

I went to Ardene last night (a costume jewelry shop) I don't know how wide spread they are. But anyway. They had these little 'surprise bags' with 6 items in each bag, they were priced 2 for $5.00. We got bracelets, earrings, keychain, 2 pair of ankle socks (curious george and a pink kitty princess pair) a bandana, hair clips of all sizes and a red silk flower that can be worn in the hair or as a brooch.
    I think I'll have to go back for some good, cheap stocking suffers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Again, I want nothing this year. I have everything I need. I'm really hoping I can get everyone on board with a no gift policy this year. I am planning on buying some toys for one of the Christmas programs for poor kids this year, but in my own life I don't know anyone who is lacking for stuff and in fact, everyone I know has far too much stuff already.
    Rattus, my husband's immediate family is pretty big so I've tried to start a "draw names" for gifts because for many years there has been no organization and you never know who is going to buy for who. None of us really need anything anyway and most of us are on very limited budgets.

Last year I pushed for "kids 18 and under only" but somehow we ended up drawing for the adults and still buying for all the kids, even the ones who were almost 20. There's been some changes in his family marriage wise this year so I think I'll try again for "kids only". I think once they reach 18 or 19 they can go in the adult drawing if we draw. But it depends if they're working. Some of them won't have money to participate in the adult drawing but also I think they're too old to be part of the kids. There comes an age when you have to cut them off. I'm talking about neices and nephews, not your own kids!

Really the kids don't need anything either since their parents will buy for them but we'll see how it goes. We just can't afford to buy for every single person and I'm a family of 3 while others are a family of 5 or 6.

I don't want or need anything. I just like to get together with everyone and spend family time.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 09-08-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Christmas? You're talking about Christmas already!

The leaves have just started turning yellow and coming down and summer is over and you want me to get into the headspace of Snow and Santa! Yikes!

Actually, it's a good idea to start now

I need to fix my Xmas lights. Parts don't shine anymore. Last year was the first year ever I could afford lights. Now where did I put them little replacement bulbs? That's about all I need. You know, other than a dishwasher, washer, dryer, paint, new car (it's 20 years+), new wiring, landscaping, a forced air furnace, carpet, upgraded plumbing.

No-one in my family has much money to spend during the holidays: My parents are on a small retirement pension, I'm on disability, my twin sinister is saving for a house, and my other sinister just saves. The nicest thing is to get together for brunch at my house and a little gift opening with presents under $10. It's more the thought or the joke than the gift. Nothing serious.

For some reason, we enjoy giving food. Nice little packages of specialty jams or coffees that one wouldn't normallly spend money on. The kitties, mind you, get more presents than anyone! And rightly so

And we always visit Baba. This will be the first year she is not in her little home. It will be a bit strange with her at the nursing home.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

It's all my fault Misskitty. I start shopping in September - spreading out the shopping (and the bills) so that it doesn't hurt all at once... and I swear to 'that higher power' that they raise prices at Christmas time.
    I love a bargain and when you have space to put things away why not?

I'm sure there are people avoiding this thread on principle LOL

In my family the only one that buys for everyone is my parents. They have christmas club account at the bank so they can afford it when the time comes. My sister and I stop presents to neices and nephews when they turn 18 or graduate high school which ever comes first. I only buy for my parents, the inlaws, and 1 sister who has no kids. The brother and other sister and sil get a card with the kids school pictures in it. My brothers kids are all under 18 so they get gifts from me. I then buy for the grandkids of the others until 18. I also budget $20 per adult and $10 per kid. It sure has helped make christmas easier for me. BTW my brother only buys for our mom and dad because of limited income. My 1 sister does buy for everyone but only spends $5 or less. She does alot of yard saleing in the summer to meet costs.

Sorry for any typos, spell check isn't working for me.

+ Reply to Thread