+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending Holiday Cards?? What do you do?

FORT Fanatic

Sending Holiday Cards?? What do you do?

I was wonder what people do. I have talked with a friend and she said she no longer sends them out because she thinks its a waste of time. I sorta agree. Last year I sent out about 15 and only about 3 people responded. The people who responded were not relatives. I do have issues with most of my relatives, so I can understand the lack of response(I'm in therapy twice a week for this) So far I have received 2 holiday cards. One from a friend and one from a lady who I know through the internet from about 6 years ago when I use to sell beanie babies.

Anyway, she sent me a "form" letter. No offense to her. But my life isn't really that wonderful. But in the letter she told me about how her husband was cheating, they are getting a divorce. She goes on to tell me about how she is getting the siding of her house done and something about new carpet. What a great way to start the new year ! I don't have a problem with "form" letters. Yes, they are very impersonal. But I really have too many problems of my own to hear hers

But I am curious what do people do about sending holiday cards?? I am only sending 5 out this year.
    Last edited by jman79; 12-09-2005 at 11:40 AM.

I like sending out holiday cards. I find the selection of the cards, the compilation of my friends' and family's addresses, the poring over of last year's cards, etc., almost ceremonial and calming. I like writing personal messages of goodwill and support and gratitude to the people close to me.

This year, we're scaling back on holiday gifts, as most of our friends and family are. So instead, I selected the most beautiful cards I could find and took the time--really took the time--to write something meaningful to each of the people on my list (ie I managed to avoid sounding like a yearbook entry this year: "OMG!! You're the coolest! Remember winter dance?? KITT! Stay sweet!").

As for cards out/cards in: J. and I have a rule about this. Close family and friends get three years. That's right. We send out for three years, and if we don't get a response, *jerks thumb* off the list. No soup for you!

For people who were first-timers the previous year, and if we didn't get a response, no soup for you! We also mark people off the list, for one reason or another. A lot of people who were on the list last year did not make the list this year. It's almost cathartic.

But I like adding people to the list as much as I like subtracting.

My cards are out. I'm ready to sit back, have a cognac by the fire, and ho-ho-ho it as I read the cards that come in.

Oh, and as for having "lots of problems" in life? Dude, as the Red Hot Chili Peppers said, "Life is beautiful," man. It's as beautiful as you choose to make it.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I look at sending Christmas cards like this...how could I not send them?

I know I have a smile on my face everytime I get one in the mail from someone, so I like to think that my effort can also put a smile on someone's face, whether I get one back or not. It's a tradition I enjoy. It's also a great way to maintain contact with friends that I hardly get to see for whatever reason...

I expect nothing in return. It makes ME happy to do it. I wouldn't be offended by a form letter either...it was the thought that counts.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    I don't mind sending them out. But this year has been really hectic on me with putting my dog to sleep and now my grandma is in and out of the hospital (doesn't look good for her). I don't have my shopping done yet, let alone the Christmas cards.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I truly enjoy sending my cards each year. Many of the folks are I send to are elderly, and always enjoy the cards, as they say that often, they are forgotten. I have mailed 40 cards, and still need to send another half dozen.

I'm as flakey as a French pastry when it comes to sending out cards. Almost every year (except those years I'm not deluding myself), I attempt to send out cards. I buy the cards, I compile the addresses, write my little greeting, address them, and send them out. The only problem is that I generally get sidetracked somewhere in that process and after Christmas, end up with a pile of half-addressed cards that never went anywhere. I still have my stack from last year, actually. Neatly stacked and addressed, with no postage on any of them because I was too busy to get to a post office. One day, maybe I'll send out all the years worth of cards stacked around my house and people that haven't heard from me in a decade will get five or six cards at once.

I'll have to agree with Igotalife on this one, too. When I do send them out, I don't expect one in return. I send them because I want to say something to my friends and family and it makes me feel good to do so. I know how random I am about sending them and know that other people are probably the same way. I also know that kids, life, finances, or whatever else could play a role in them not being sent out. I certainly never imagine its from a lack of consideration on their part.

Besides, most Christmas cards have turned into the form letter with the accompanying picture of the family looking like they are set up in front of a firing squad. Those sorts of photos always remind me of Tsar Nicholas and family getting ready to meet their fate at the hands of the Bolsheviks, which doesn't inspire a warm holiday feeling in me. So if I get a few less of those because I'm a total space-cadet about Christmas cards, then so be it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Besides, most Christmas cards have turned into the form letter with the accompanying picture of the family looking like they are set up in front of a firing squad. Those sorts of photos always remind me of Tsar Nicholas and family getting ready to meet their fate at the hands of the Bolsheviks, which doesn't inspire a warm holiday feeling in me.
    That is so funny because it is so terribly true. I can't stand those cards...I feel doubly guilty for tossing them at the end of the season, because they've spent money on the cards and pictures. (What am I going to do with them? Can't store that kind of stuff forever.) The pictures are never natural or necessarily all that flattering. You'd think with all the digital camera accessibility these days, families could do a bunch of candid shots or something to find a more confortable, believable pose, if they're hell-bent on putting their pic on a card.

I haven't done holiday cards this year yet. Last year, I had them out before Thanksgiving weekend was over. This year, I'm not sending as many. Mainly they go in the boxes with presents to my friends around the country. But, I do have to mail a few to others. I don't expect to get cards back from most of the older relatives. What I do hate though is this: I send out my cards to some of my mother's family and they don't send me a card--they just put my name on the envelope on the one they send my parents. I haven't lived there in nearly 10 years, and these particular relatives have my address and aren't old/infirm/broke.

I send out six cards and thats it.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    You'd think with all the digital camera accessibility these days, families could do a bunch of candid shots or something to find a more confortable, believable pose, if they're hell-bent on putting their pic on a card.

This reminds me of the torture process I went through this year with my kids...they didn't want to touch each other, smile, wanted it over with as fast as could be...I think I even accused them of looking like members of the Adam's family at some point...after 17 tries, I finally got a reasonable one. Why do we do this to ourselves?

One of my friends sent one this year while they were on vacation...it was really cute....wife in husband's arms (like being carried over the threshold) and brother holding sister the same way on the beach. It definitely made me smile.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Christmas cards???!!! I haven't even sent out birth announcements...and my daughter was born in May! I'm going to try but I can't make any guarantees.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast