+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sending Holiday Cards?? What do you do?

Christmas just isn't Christmas to me without the cards. It's a tradition for us to set up our little Christmas elf workshop, play seasonal music and sip cocoa with marshmallows as we scribble out notes, stuff envelopes, wrap gifts, etc. This year we sent out over 60 (we've got a lot family & friends we consider family), and I have just a couple more to add that I need to get offline to do in a moment if I want to catch the Post Office.

I love sending and receiving them, though a response is never required and I'm happy to receive anything, form letter, photo, a scrap of foil, lint, whatever--I just appreciate that person thinking of me and taking the time to do anything.

We always decorate a wall or someplace in the house with the cards we do get, and it's fun to watch the collage grow as the season goes on. I'm a bit sentimental, and I can't bear to throw them out, so I do store the cards, sometimes for years. As space is finite, very reluctantly we will periodically discard, but even then we always go through them, which itself is a fun activity because we get to relive that Christmas magic one more time.

It's been enlightening reading these posts, though. I have a question: We like to include a little photo for friends and family (especially if they're farflung folk we don't get to see every day), but now I'm wondering if people don't care for them after all. Do you think we should continue doing this? Are they something that just end up in the trash? I hate to think I'm just adding more waste to some landfill somewhere.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Premium Member
    I usually do cards or letters to people after I get cards from them, I don't ever take the initiative to do it first. I want to do a letter this year because my family has lots of news but I don't really have time. I didn't know postage was going up again.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Snowy-Punkin - I LOVE getting photos, form letters, and the occasional navel lint. It's all good and really, it's the thought that counts.

And while I'm at it. . . Often times these so-called "form letters" are from friends and family we may only hear from once a year. What are they supposed to do? Write an epistle in each card personally geared towards the recipient? Sheesh, that's an awful lot of work.

I, for one, count my blessings when I receive a Christmas card in the mail. Doesn't matter if it's a pre-printed name, scribble, form letter or what have you. What it means is that I'm on somebody's list, and that somebody cares enough about me to include me on that list. Like I said, it's the thought that counts.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    It's been enlightening reading these posts, though. I have a question: We like to include a little photo for friends and family (especially if they're farflung folk we don't get to see every day), but now I'm wondering if people don't care for them after all. Do you think we should continue doing this? Are they something that just end up in the trash? I hate to think I'm just adding more waste to some landfill somewhere.
    I LOVE to get photos and if the Christmas card is the only way, then I will take what I can get. Continue to do so - people do appreciate it!

I love the pictures and letters, too. It is how I keep up with my cousins and watch their kiddos grow up.

I love sending Christmas cards to everyone who's address I have. I love doing it. I don't care if I don't get any back (I do, but that's not the reason I send them).

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy View Post
    Snowy-Punkin - I LOVE getting photos, form letters, and the occasional navel lint. It's all good and really, it's the thought that counts.

And while I'm at it. . . Often times these so-called "form letters" are from friends and family we may only hear from once a year. What are they supposed to do? Write an epistle in each card personally geared towards the recipient? Sheesh, that's an awful lot of work.

I, for one, count my blessings when I receive a Christmas card in the mail. Doesn't matter if it's a pre-printed name, scribble, form letter or what have you. What it means is that I'm on somebody's list, and that somebody cares enough about me to include me on that list. Like I said, it's the thought that counts.

Well said! That's how I feel about it as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345