+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending Holiday Cards?? What do you do?

The really truly sad part of my post office procrastination is that I can buy stamps where I work (and spend 50+ hours each week) It's just that we don't have the ones that I want with the cute holiday cookies on them, only the pointy Santa ones. Yeah, I know, silly little details, but I searched so long for the cards that were just right for me that I want my special stamps too.

I have a site written down at home where you can have actual postage stamps made with any picture you want. They are a little pricey, but if anyone wants it, I'll run it down.
    Count your blessings!

I send cards in moderation....I try not to send TOO many, but I do enjoy getting some in return. Just a tradition of Christmas, I guess.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I used to send out 50+ cards in the mail (really large family) and hand deliver to my co-workers. It was a tradition I truly enjoyed. I would kick off the Christmas season with finding the right cards, writing notes and getting them mailed right after Thanksgiving. it was a big part of getting into the Christmas spirit. Like others, I enjoyed it whether I got one in return or not.

Now I am lucky to get any mailed. Victim of a hectic life, mostly.

Anyway, I am sending this Christmas card to you all. I am not the most prolific poster, but this site and you have become dear to me, even if I still mostly lurk. I wish you all the best of whatever you wish for yourselves.

(I hope this link works.) Click on the below address.
    http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcar...ode=0212320003

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022 View Post
    The really truly sad part of my post office procrastination is that I can buy stamps where I work (and spend 50+ hours each week) It's just that we don't have the ones that I want with the cute holiday cookies on them, only the pointy Santa ones. Yeah, I know, silly little details, but I searched so long for the cards that were just right for me that I want my special stamps too.
    I liked those stamps the best too, they are so cute, so I bought four books...that should be enough for the ten cards I will be mailing!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Fort Member
    I used to send cards until one day I was waiting for my bus and at the bus stop across the road an elderly lady who had just walked from the post office with a stack of letters was sitting opening her christmas cards reading them then depositing them in the bin next to her keeping the envelopes with return addresses. At first I thought it was sad, then it dawned on me that unless you collect them for some reason they are chucked out after christmas.
    My son was 3 at the time so from the ages of 3 to 13 I had him, myself and my husband making christmas cards and christmas wrapping paper with glitter, glue, paints and handprints. I would buy a roll of plain brown paper and he decorated it and the cards were just made of cardboard. It saved money and people appreciated the effort. For the last five years we have not sent cards at all but make rum balls (which we did in the past as well as the cards for work people and friends) and shorbread christmas orniments we give instead of cards.
    As a family we enjoy making the things instead of just buying and filling them out. It takes us a couple of days but we all do it together while we have crappy christmas movies we have watched a million times on in the background. Its our family tradition all started because of some lonely elderly lady who no longer enjoyed looking at her christmas cards

I wasn't planning on sending any. Money tight, no time, laziness. Well, I decided to see what I could "create" online and print them myself. I had this box of Greeting Card paper and envelopes just lying around that I had for years so I thought, what the heck, I'll see what I can do. I found a clip art graphic, centered it and tested it out and printed them with a few words from "us" and voila...20 cards in about 30 minutes or so. Now I have to find the addresses of those to send them to - get stamps and send them out.
    I'm proud of myself!

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by libra1022 View Post
    But Libs, they DO have the cookie stamps as well as three or four other holiday scenes at usps.com.

Like Igota mentioned, I've been buying stamps online for a few years now and it's great. You can also ship priority packages from your doorstep through this site. You print your own shipping label which includes the bar code and either affix your own postage or pay for it online. It gives you a tracking number and, if you choose, will send an email notification to the recipient advising them of the tracking number and ETA.

You can also order all the priority and express mail packaging online - FREE! The number of packages (letters, boxes, etc.) is unlimited, and maximum weight per package is 70 pounds. There's a handy "calculate your postage" tool that will give you the postage amount by either weight or dimensions. I can understand it, so it's fairly dumbed down.

Thanks God for computers.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Premium Member
    I love USPS online. When I sell on ebay I can print postage paid shipping labels through Paypal and just drop the package in the mailbox or have it picked up.

I love getting cards!! I usually send about 25 cards or so. If I don't hear from someone two years in a row, I cross them off my list.
    Postage is going up again Jan. 9th, so I imagine that we'll all get less cards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast