+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending Holiday Cards?? What do you do?

We have our own business and I hate the politics of sending Christmas cards. We are always swamped with our 'creative' work but have to create new artwork for a card every year. It is expected because of our profession. We get some very nice responses and there are some clients who frame the cards (they are each 'original', but we create them enmasse). The last two years I didn't even open the cards I received until after I returned to work in the new year. I don't send cards to my family, the ones that I am near and dear to I call or send them presents. I have one client who sends me a card for EVERYTHING. I feel a terrible social obligation with this. I hate it. I hate sending cards. Bah humbug!

I do picture cards. Usually, it's a completely candid shot of my kids that I send to family and a few friends. Last month, I had a Christmas photo taken in a studio the same day as my son's 1 year old picture. I tend to dislike formal poses but this one looks really nice. It's one of the rare shots I have of both kids cooperating and smiling at the same time.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I don't do Christmas cards - things are way too hectic. Instead, I keep all the cards I get with new addresses and I make homemade valentines and send about 25 of them. I start with unusual magazine pictures and add my own cut out hearts (interesting patterns from mag. pictures) and stickers. I don't sign them and only put "The Queen of Hearts" for a return address. That has caused some chaos, I assure you. I have always had my girl scout troops make valentines for veterans. I have even had an article written in the paper about my valentines. This may seem off topic, but it is actually my Christmas card alternative.
    Count your blessings!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I am also cutting back on gifts this year - funds are tight! So Christmas cards it is. I'm afraid one of those "what I accomplished this year" form letters would be about one line long and cure the readers' insomnia. I don't think most people mind a card, but my kids might be a little disappointed when no check falls out when they open it. Maybe I'll send them a picture of dear old mom in front of a firing squad - that seems to be all the rage!

Poor baby! Ha! I really did miss your jaded humor.
    Count your blessings!

I plan on doing some this year, I didn't do any for the last 3 years so I'm sure I'm off a lot people's lists. I just got to tired, too busy and too depressed.

I tend to add a short handwritten note. Rarely do I add pictures unless it's a relative. I have gotten one nice little card with a cute letter. They added digital pictures of their adult kids and grand kids within the newsletter. Very nice.

and more techinically advanced then I am.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Ooohhh - maybe a nice photoshop of the object of my stalking (grammar?) and myself, in front of the firing squad, of course, would be the way to go. Y'all know how I love to make a lasting impression.

Maybe I'll put away the money I'm saving to be put toward attorney fees.

I sent only a few Christmas cards last year. This year, I included a picture of my son and sent quite a few more. I tried to write a nice personal note, but after having done 5 or 6, I got discouraged and confused writing cards in English, French or Italian, so I just sent my best wishes. The cards are to family and friends, so they know what has been happening in my year.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    For those that mentioned the hang up of getting them to the post office, I was guilty of this too...I never buy stamps except for the cards and hated the lines at the post office. This year, I discovered that you can actually order books of holiday stamps on-line at usps.gov for about a $1.00 shipping fee and it comes in your mail within a couple of days.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

FORT Fan
    Sending cards is my favourite part of the season. I even like to get the ones from my insurance guy.

Last week I sent out 37 of them - first year that I made my own cards. Very simple ones (I just took some gift wrap that had old fashioned santa's in a square, cut out the squares and glued to a piece of red card stock, then used silver marker to draw a border around the picture). Wrote best wishes etc stuff on the back in silver marker and sent in green envelopes.

To those recipients in other countries, I wrote a longer note telling them of the year's highlights.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast