+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending Holiday Cards?? What do you do?

I love sending out Christmas cards. Its what I do to get myself into the holiday spirit. I finally got them all in the mail this morning. I sent out twenty-two this year, and a couple of people even got a letter included in theirs. I usually receive about half as many as I send out, but that's okay, because (like others here) it puts a smile on my face when I receive one and I hope it makes somebody else happy to get one from me.

For the last few years I've put a lot of time into making my own cards to send out; cardstock and stamps and all of that jazz. This year I just didn't have time for all of that so I bought tha prettiest boxed cards I could find, bought some pretty mailing labels and put a little snowman sticker on the back for a seal. Not handmade, but pretty good all the same.

I probably send well over 30 cards each year, the Christmas trip to post office gets expensive especially with all the overseas postage, but it is something I really love to do. Personally I especially love to receive picture cards of kids, because I rarely see my family & friends these days, so it is a form of catching up with their lives, too.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I love sending cards out. I sent them the day after Thanksgiving! I love receiving cards and pictures from people I only hear from once a year - old bosses, people we met on our honeymoon, etc. It's fun!

I do the 2 year rule - if I don't get them for 2 years, I scratch them from the list. This year I sent about 45 cards. I've done a letter when there's a lot to say, (like the year we bought a house and each got new jobs prior to our daughter). Maybe next year I'll do a letter since I'll have a new child which will come after Christmas this year, so many won't know about his/her arrival (like those old bosses/coworkers, etc.)

As far as pictures, this year we sent a picture of my daughter at the beach - doing what she loves the most - hanging out in the sand! Plus it's nice when it's freezing out to receive a bathing suit picture

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I still have my stack from last year, actually. Neatly stacked and addressed, with no postage on any of them because I was too busy to get to a post office.
    Star that is me! I'm glad to see I'm in such good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    Star that is me! I'm glad to see I'm in such good company.
    Hey, Unk and Star, at least PART of your plan CAME TO FRUITION! Not only are mine unstamped and unmailed, they are still part of a master plan in my MIND!! (that I meant to do but, you know, I had to ...uh.. clean house? Check out the FoRT? Go to work? Clean the cat litter? Break up the fight between my children? Oh, no, it was definitely laundry.)
    Go Tigers!

I'm a big fan of holiday cards, not mentioning WHICH holiday since I have been known in the past to send out Happy New Year cards instead of Christmas greetings, but hey, I sent em Like Star mentioned, I get them done fine and dandy, but it's that trip to the post office to get them sent off that does me in every time. (should I mention that while pulling out my address book to write my cards this week I found an Easter card fully addressed and ready to be stamped and mailed up to Tennessee? Ummm yeah, maybe next year my friend will get that card that was so uniquely hilarious that I just HAD to get it for him)

When it comes to the give/receive thing, it honestly doesn't matter to me....yeah it's super-fantastic if I get one in return, but that wasn't my motive for sending one so it's just an added bonus if they thought about me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I managed to avoid sounding like a yearbook entry this year: "OMG!! You're the coolest! Remember winter dance?? KITT! Stay sweet!"
    Those were my cards of the past as well Phat. This year it's just a simple holiday wish to everybody and a select few with personal notes tucked inside catching back up with them since we don't keep up with each other as well as we should.

Now can somebody give me a kick in the tail to get the 40+ cards that I've already written and addressed up to the post office so that I can get some stamps before the month is over?

I need to do the cards this weekend. I don't send many. My cousins, aunts and a few friends. I also am going to give one to all my employees but I don't have to get those done this weekend. Still 2 more weeks to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    I need to do the cards this weekend. I don't send many. My cousins, aunts and a few friends. I also am going to give one to all my employees but I don't have to get those done this weekend. Still 2 more weeks to go.
    I misread your post the first time ie: "cousins, aunts and a few FIENDS" Ha Ha! Yeah, I had "fiends" on the brain!
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp View Post

As far as pictures, this year we sent a picture of my daughter at the beach - doing what she loves the most - hanging out in the sand! Plus it's nice when it's freezing out to receive a bathing suit picture
    Now see? That's the kind of picture I'd rather see. That and the one with the guys carrying the girls sounds relaxed and cool. I like pictures of kids acting like kids and pictures of the parents looking happy. Not the mom with that grim, plastered smile and the kids all in various stages of a meltdown. It stresses me out just seeing that kind of picture. I think what would look the best would be to snap a simple picture of the family wrapping gifts or decorating the tree together and use that for a card. Why is the police line-up approach necessary?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that lets my scattered side get in the way of my good intentions.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I've gotten a lot better about sending my cards out. I used to address them one year and mail them the next so you'd only get one from us every other year. Then I started to mail them whenever I got them done, even if it was in time for Easter. The thing is, I always buy them between Christmas and New Year's and then I can't find them. They all go to people who know me really well and it's just par for the course in my world. Always late.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast