+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metrosexuals

FORT Fanatic

Metrosexuals

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Metrosexual is a term coined in 1994 (along with the noun, metrosexuality) by British journalist Mark Simpson, who used it to refer to an urban male of any sexual orientation who has a strong aesthetic sense and spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.

He is the fashion-conscious target audience of men's magazines:

The promotion of metrosexuality was left to the men's style press, magazines such as The Face, GQ, Esquire, Arena and FHM, the new media which took off in the 1980s and is still growing (GQ gains 10,000 new readers every month). They filled their magazines with images of narcissistic young men sporting fashionable clothes and accessories. And they persuaded other young men to study them with a mixture of envy and desire.
    Some people said unkind things. American GQ, for example, was popularly dubbed "Gay Quarterly". Little wonder that all these magazines - with the possible exception of The Face - address their metrosexual readership as if none of them was homosexual or even bisexual.[1]
    Outside Britain, in its soundbite diffusion through the popular media, metrosexual has congealed into something more digestible: a heterosexual male who is in touch with his feminine side - he color coordinates, cares deeply about exfoliation, and has perhaps manscaped.

While included in the original definition, gay men are not "metrosexual" in common usage, since such interests are stereotypically considered gay. When used in this way, "metrosexuality" could be considered a type of cultural appropriation of gay culture by straight men. On the other hand, the existence of the term at all suggests an increasing awareness of the possibility that stereotypical behavior cannot be used to read a person's sexual identity.

In major urban areas such as San Francisco, Boston, NYC, and Seattle, the metrosexual may be seen as a modern day fop or dandy. Like Victorian-era gentlemen, metrosexuals are sometimes considered especially masculine in the sense that they can relate to and empathize with women in an attempt to foster a relationship (or a sexual tryst) with them.

In some circles, however, metrosexual is used to refer to a closeted gay man. This usage developed as a rejection of the idea that style-conscious men could be straight, and as a focus on the cultural cues by which gay men have sometimes been identified.

Contents [hide]
    1 Evolution of usage
    2 Retrosexual: The Anti-Metro
    3 Individuals
    4 See also
    5 Notes
    6 External links

FORT Fanatic
    I need some metrosexual help. I get my eyebrows waxed in the middle and the frays above. But the eyebrows itself need some fine tuning. Like they need to be trimmed. Should I just let the hairdresser trim them or is there a better way?. Any fellow metro help would be appreciated
    Last edited by jman79; 11-20-2005 at 10:14 AM.

Well, I'm not a metrosexual, I'm a girl. I do know a bit about eyebrows, though. With men, very little plucking or waxing should be done except between them. Otherwise, it can give you a bit of a Ken doll look. However, if I'm understanding your problem correctly, the eyebrow hairs themselves are too long. It's really easy to snip them shorter to give you a neater look, but I would have your hairdresser show you how the first time. Then you should be able to keep up with them yourself by snipping the strays occasionally.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

You could also use one of those sideburn/beard trimmers that comes with guards and using the guard that takes off the least go over the eyebrows.

(wait til you get that 2 foot single hair growing off the edge of an ear!)

FORT Fanatic
    Thanks for the help. Dont want the Ken Doll They dont go to long. They are a little too thick I was thinking she would able to snip or trim a layer??

She might be able to thin them out some. Just don't attempt it on your own unless you're willing to go one hair at a time with a pair of tweezers. You're less likely to overdo it that way. Good luck
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I am one of those metrosexual guys.

I stylish my hair a lot. I have a lot of nice clothes. I like high fashion. America's Next Top Model is even my favorite show. All of this sound so gay but I'm already comfortable with my manhood.

There's one thing I've never done is manicure and I don't even need an eyebrow plucking, thank goodness!
    Stop the world! I want to get off!

Young and thriving, I feel infinite. Need I say more?

My grandfather is the original metrosexual. Even in his 80s, he is stylish and suave, always au courant--and loves to go shopping! In fact, he just sent me some cute clothes that he spotted on his daily walks around the shops.

Anyway, I thought the new, in-thing was the "ubersexual."
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Regular
    I would have never guessed the term dated back that far! That was an insightful man!

+ Reply to Thread