+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone sell a home recently? Advice needed

Anyone sell a home recently? Advice needed

I am putting my house on the market within the next 2 weeks and am looking for any advise on what to do to make it more marketable.

Has anyone sold a home recently and received valuable feedback from buyers or realtors?

We bought and sold two years ago. The most important thing, I think, is to paint everything neutral, remove all excess clutter and knick-knacks, have a cull of your closets and give to Goodwill or post on freecycle.org (so it looks like you have tons of extra storage space), make sure everthing is so clean you could eat off it, and (no offense intended, really) make sure the house doesn't smell. That means that it doesn't smell like perfume, room deodorizer or cleaning solvents, as well as the more obviously objectionable odours provided by pets. The same degree of neutrality and cleanliness applies to the garden as well.

The sad thing is, most people won't see a house's potential, they will only be impressed by something that looks like it came out of a catalogue. What's silly about this is, for example, the house we bought two years ago for $235,000 was ridiculously ugly, with bad wood panelling on every room, home-made doors, wall-to-wall instead of hardwood, fireplace painted shiny brown, gun-rack above the fireplace, etc., etc. We're only halfway renovated by this point, but the value of the house is now $305,000. It really pays to buy the worst house on a good street - do NOT buy the best house on a bad street.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I have my broker's license (but don't sell homes for a living), but I have sold the last 4 of my own houses.

Fresh paint inside and out and preferably in neutral colors; clean grimy handprints, paint chips on corners etc.

Clean kitchens and bathrooms and keep them spotless at all times

Make sure your closets are not cluttered at all

Get rid of clutter anywhere for that matter

fresh mulch and flowers outside and if you have a showing, try and spray the front plants beforehand so they "glisten"

potpourri, cookies in the oven, or fragrant candles

fresh flowers on the counter or breakfast table

turn on all the lights and lower the thermostat or have a fire burning depending on the climate outside

clean carpets so they are "fresh" and if there's a bad spot, consider placing a throw rug over it.

Bottom line, you want to make your home "inviting and homey" to someone else....clear out the "personal stuff" from view because people want to see themselves in your home rather than making them feel like they are invading your privacy.

Good luck!
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

All great points. Depending on how hot the market is (I once had 50 people through a house in 2 days...sold immediately): if you can, leave a bread maker on with cinnamon bread baking....and get all the junk off the kitchen counters.

Thanks for the great advise...I am having the house interior painted, carpets cleaned, minor repairs done, de-cluttering (I watch too many house selling shows).

I have been throwing a lot of stuff out and putting away knick knacks, but my boyfriend says that I shouldn't have the house too bare. I think the less "stuff" in the house the better.

Also, I see a lot on the house selling shows about buying new bedding, so I think I might buy a new inexpensive comforter and shams.

This one should be obvious and I don't know if you smoke or not, but if you do, smoke outdoors after you've repainted and until you sell. Some people can't even stand to visit smoker's homes. Much less imagine living in one.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I'll echo the comments above re de-cluttering - the guy across the street from us has been trying to sell his house for months with no luck, and we're sure the main problem is the unbelievable amount of crap he has stored in his garage and on the side of his house. It's a decent-looking house, brand-new, and it's been on the market since the spring.

And if you have pets, make sure there's no pee stains or yucky smells. We walked into an open house once and the reek of their cats' litterbox nearly knocked us over (and we own two cats ourselves). That also goes for baby's room...make sure there's no dirty diapers mouldering in the wastebasket - your buyers may not be sympathetic fellow parents.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Good luck itravel!

We just put our house on the market and are looking for a new one. We rented a small storage unit and took out everything we didn't need on a day to day basis. We had a drywall guy come to fix all the wall cracks (we live in the bay area and cracks are really common). Painted, cleaned all the cabinets, cleaned the oven and all appliances and thoroughly cleaned the floors, doors, light fixtures, etc. I purchased a new orchid and some long lasting flowers so that the living room, dining room, M. bedroom and bath all have something fresh. We make sure that there are never any dirty clothes or dishes hanging around.

We have developed a routine that we follow every single morning:

Get up, fix the beds all fancy, vacuum the bedrooms, put a load of clothes in the washer, put all dirty dishes in the dishwasher, wipe down the bathroom, put away all toys and books (we have 3 kids) and turn on certain lighting fixtures in rooms that are a bit dark. Remove shampoo and all personal items from bathroom and empty the trash. I then pack up my laptop and a few valuables that I do not want to leave in the house and stay out as much as possible.

The house has been on the market for a week now and we have had a real positive response from people and agents but no offers yet. :-( Hopefully soon. The funny thing is, most of the houses we walk through are just messy and dirty or completely vacant. I personally don't care how a house looks when I walk through but feel it is a good thing to have done with ours.

We are having another open house this weekend so I hope she sells. We aren't in the fancy part of town but we have a really great house that is in excellent condition.

FORT Regular
    I've got a related question. What makes a good real estate agent? What qualities do you feel are most important? I am thinking of going into real estate and would love to know what all of you look for in an agent, to see if I possess these qualities!

Ditto on the clutter:
    I packed up everything personal in my last house, and everything I didn't use regularly.
    Then, I scrubbed my house from top to bottom til it glistened.
    We sold it in 5 days- my agent said it was the cleanest house she had ever listed.

As far as what makes a good agent- listen to your client. The only problem I have had w/ my Realtor is that she always wanted to price my house low.
    We thought about selling our current house last year- she wanted to list it for $10000 less than I wanted. It ended up appraising for what I wanted to sell it for.
    "The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N." Wooderson, "Dazed & Confused"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast