+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone sell a home recently? Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by itravel94 View Post
    I am putting my house on the market within the next 2 weeks and am looking for any advise on what to do to make it more marketable.

Has anyone sold a home recently and received valuable feedback from buyers or realtors?
    I'm in the process of buying a house right now... One thing for the seller is to make sure you get your house inspected before any potential buyer does... I caught my seller off guard on a structural issue they didn't know about and was able to negotiate the price down lower than I already had... The inspector can probably show you minor things you can fix for short money that will buyers won't be able to negotiate on...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

lildago, great news!!! No more double mortgage payment.

Brodie, it's funny because around here, you don't even put your house on the market until you've had a home inspection, pest/termite inspection, and sometimes a chimney inspection. Plus, your reports will usually detail the cost to fix any of the larger issues. The agent then puts together all the packets which are about an inch thick and gives them to all the interested parties. You also have them out for people to review while looking at your home. The few buyer requested inspections we've seen were when they were financing 100% (very common around here due to the prices) and their lenders required an additional inspection by their own people to make sure they weren't going to lose their money.

giz
    I need advice big-time. I love my little house. My husband's moved out recently meaning we now have even less money than before, and my daughter will be stuck in the basement forever. I hate her being down there. We have an alarm system, and a baby monitor and live in a safe neighbourhood, but I still hate it and so does she. If she was upstairs I would never consider selling.

A house I have always always loved has come up for sale in the next block. It is HUGE! (at least twice the size of my house). It has character, bowed window, stained glass, leaded glass built-in cabinets, carved staircase, and is suprisingly only $150,000 more than I figure we'd get for our cottage. (it's an estate sale, so needs painting and the kitchen is ugly as sin). It has 5 bedrooms, so I could cover the extra mortgage by taking in foreign students for 10 years or so. I have always loved that house. I'm talking decades of drooling.

However, I've got inertia bad, I'm not sure if we could afford the fees (realtor's and taxes), and not sure if my wayward husband would want to go in on it with me (and my income is extremely negligable so I"d need to co-own). Also, although he makes over $100k he is useless with money and has racked up this huge debt (him drinking and eating out all the time) so the bank might not want to lend. I'm worried some bad person who has moved here from Somewhere else (I'm looking at you, you Eastern Canadians and also you, you Bush refugees) will buy my dream house, and renovate it, and kill it's soul. On the other hand, someone might buy this house and kill it! Help, I'm thinking so hard my brain is hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Here's an update:

We finally got a contract on our old house! If all goes as planned, it'll close next month. I should've buried St.Joseph in the backyard a little sooner.
    Well, all did NOT go as planned! The guy supposedly decided to leave the country and backed out of the contract. He did have to pay a penalty since we removed our home from the market for that time but it doesn't come close to helping with that mortgage payment. So, it's back on the market and St. Joe is still hanging out in the backyard.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

lildago, I'm so sorry. Something good will happen soon. We had our first buyer back out as well. It was very frustrating and set us back several important weeks.

I hope something works out. Maybe you should take that money and stage the house. That has done wonders for selling some of the homes around here.

land transfer tax sucks. lawyers fees suck. paying GST on all of this stuff sucks!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

After nearly six months on the market, our old house finally sold. We closed on Friday and my daughter wanted to go say good-bye to the house. She painted it a picture that we hung over the fireplace.

Oh, I looked for the St. Joseph statue that I buried in the backyard (see upthread). I couldn't find it! The ground has settled so much that I couldn't find the exact spot where I put it. If the new homeowners do any digging out there, they'll be in for a nice surprise!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Congratulations Lildago. You must feel so relieved financially now that you won't have to pay 2 mortgages!!! One less worry.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Oh, I looked for the St. Joseph statue that I buried in the backyard (see upthread). I couldn't find it! The ground has settled so much that I couldn't find the exact spot where I put it. If the new homeowners do any digging out there, they'll be in for a nice surprise!
    lildago, he's gone to help someone else now, I bet! I'm glad to hear this worry is finally over for you!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Great news lildago! I'm sure you are relieved it is over.

We went to look at several homes yesterday. We keep putting off buying a new house because it hurts my tummy to think about spending so much. Even though the market isn't crazy right now, it is still so expensive here and you get so little for your money. Had we not made such a good profit on our last home, there is no way we would be able to buy a decent sized home. The 1000 sq ft 2 bedroom 1 baths here are still selling for 750-850K and even more in the fancy neigborhoods.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast