+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone sell a home recently? Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I have a question related to this topic. What should a realtor be doing to sell your home? Does he/she simply list it and put a sign in the yard? I'm not thrilled about the agent who's listing our home and I guess I'm wondering if he should be doing more for us.
    We still have not sold our house. It's been on the market since October. Our realtor has recently started advertising in some realtor magazines and it's on the websites. We moved into our new house 2 months ago and paying two mortgages is not easy. The old house is in great shape and priced in the average range for that neighborhood.

My question: Will changing realtors make a difference? We've been told that another realtor will not do anything other than list the MLS # online and it's just a matter of the right person looking at the right time.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

lildago, this is a tough one. Some will say change your realtor/agent some will say not. If you aren't happy with your agent or have any question about their performance, I would change.

Do you know what the average DOM (Days on the Market) are for the area of the home your selling? I'm not sure of the market in Texas but if your homes DOM is way out of whack for the average DOM then you should do something. Are you still doing open houses (which I know doesn't really help)? Is the house empty? If so, have you thought about having it staged. It's another expense but I've seen good staging sell even make even the "worst" homes look like a million bucks. I would light a fire under your agent. Let him/her know you are really concerned and ask them WHY your house has not sold. Our agents spoke with us DAILY, called back everyone who came through the house, did ads in a variety of different media from MLS, real estate mags, advertised open houses on craigslist and in the newpaper and were at our beck and call...even though we weren't one of their multi-million dollar homes. I always felt like they were working every angle.

I hope you sell that house soon. Having two mortgages is NOT a good thing.

Thanks, apple. I did call our realtor after seeing your post and the we're a bit above the average DOM. So, she relisted our house as a "new listing" so the # of days won't show. I don't know if that'll make a difference but it can't hurt. The house is empty and it is showing often. I just don't know what the deal is. I did learn that only one house per month has sold in that neighborhood since we've been on the market.

My Catholic aunt sent me a St.Joseph statue and prayer. Supposedly, if you bury it upside down in the backyard and pray the prayer, your house will sell. Sounds a little silly, but St. Joseph is about 6 inches under in that backyard!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Thanks, apple. I did call our realtor after seeing your post and the we're a bit above the average DOM. So, she relisted our house as a "new listing" so the # of days won't show. I don't know if that'll make a difference but it can't hurt. The house is empty and it is showing often. I just don't know what the deal is. I did learn that only one house per month has sold in that neighborhood since we've been on the market.

My Catholic aunt sent me a St.Joseph statue and prayer. Supposedly, if you bury it upside down in the backyard and pray the prayer, your house will sell. Sounds a little silly, but St. Joseph is about 6 inches under in that backyard!
    love it...let us know if it works!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thanks, apple. My Catholic aunt sent me a St.Joseph statue and prayer. Supposedly, if you bury it upside down in the backyard and pray the prayer, your house will sell. Sounds a little silly, but St. Joseph is about 6 inches under in that backyard!

lildago, too funny! I'd do it...anything to sell the house. Good Luck!

Here is my home buying question....

Recently it was decided that a bigger house was needed or one of us was going to end up dead. hahaha!

I had made a list of things that I thought would be important to have in a home. My main thing is I don't want to buy anything that is older than 10 years... and doesn't need a ton of renovations.

I would truly like to avoid "new home construction" at all cost... simply cause there are a ton of used homes here and I want to buy where the immediate area has already been developed so I don't end up with a surprise being built behind the house.

I have pester my friends for their thoughts. But I still am looking for the answer to the following:

"What do you consider the 3 most important things to have in a house... and the 3 things to avoid at all cost."

Things that you never thought of till you have moved in and can't change.

My best friend "big thing" is to find out alllll about the neighbors from the current home owner. (She is having neighbor issue's).

I have another friend whose husband has cussed about their backyard pool endlessly. I have not the guts to ask exactly what is up with the pool... it seems to be a very touchy subject.

And then another is all about having great cabinets in the kitchen.

Then my big thing is I refuse to share a bathroom. My husband just knows I am up to no good in a bathroom I don't want him in. haha! He has the master bathroom to himself... I do not understand his issue. I am the one down the hall... its not as if he got kicked out of the bedroom.

So you see I am curious what others have to say on this...

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    "What do you consider the 3 most important things to have in a house... and the 3 things to avoid at all cost."...
    Well considering that my husband has me stuck in a mobile home owned by his parents (too long a story to get into), I would be happy for ANY home other than the one I'm in at this point, but I digress...

My list of must-haves:

1. At least a bath and a half. Two toilets is a must. Two bathtubs not so important but two toilets is an absolute.

2. Backyard big enough for dogs and room to add-on if the house is initially too small. Make sure you buy a house that you can add on to if you should decide to later on.

3. Kitchen that flows into the family room. I'm tired of being cut-off from the activity. I would consider a closed kitchen if a wall was removeable to the family room.

4. If children are involved or will be later - checking the school system in your area is a must. But beware, sometimes districts redraw lines and your area may wind up with a new school district. Find out if that will be an issue. Are schools in the neighborhood in walking distance or will your children be bussed clear across town? Are the schools on a Needs Improvement list? Are there a lot of crime incidences at the schools in your area?

Things I could do without or work around:

1. I don't really care if I ever have a formal dining room. It's an extra room that goes unused most of the year and I like all of my space to be functional. If I found a home at the right price with one, then okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make sure the home had a formal dining room. Plus everyone would expect me to be the hostess all the time if I had one LOL! I'd much rather have a nice big kitchen / family room that had space enough for a large table and chairs instead of a totally separate dining room.

2. If the bathrooms need some painting, new lighting, new flooring - that is okay. I wouldn't turn a house down because the bathrooms were shabby. If they are large enough for your needs, then you can renovate when your budget allows. (But don't forget - 2 toilets! )

3. Don't need a pool. Too much maintenance and takes up yard space. However, if my dream home had a pool, then I would accept it and just hire a pool man (a hot poolman )

4. I live in the south so I don't need a garage but you might need one. A carport would do just as well for me but I don't even need that. You can always add a storage shed to the backyard if you don't have a need for a garage to park your car in.

Preferences but not deal breakers (not in any special order):

1. I love hardwood floors. But those can be added if necessary.
    2. A master bathroom with a jacuzzi tub would be heaven.
    3. 2 sinks in the master bathroom. Saves a lot of arguing.
    4. BIG walk-in closet or at least a his and hers.
    5. Nice sized laundry room with room for an extra freezer.
    6. BIG pantry.
    7. I hate wall paper. If every room had wall paper and I knew it would be coming down, I might be inclined to keep looking for a home that didn't have any just because of the work involved with removing it.
    8. Kitchen that doesn't need renovating. I love shiny new appliances, new flooring, etc. but if the kitchen is big enough for my needs, I can change things out.

Other considerations:

1. If you have kids or plan to have kids, you should find a 3 bedroom or at least be able to add on. Having a room for an office that won't be turned into a kids room later helps to keep your sanity. It's nice to have a room dedicated to getting your bills done, work, surfing on The Fort, etc.

2. I wouldn't buy on a busy street. If it's dangerous to back out of your driveway, or people are zooming down your street, I'd look elsewhere. We owned a house with train tracks right behind us and also in an area of the airport flight path. After a while the train and airplane sounds blended in like everything else. But if noise is a big factor, ask the realtor about these things. The only reason we knew a train track was behind our house is because Amtrak went flying by while we were looking at the house. The tracks were hidden by trees and brush. But we needed a house at the time so we bought it anyway. The windows would rattle everytime the train went by but we eventually got new windows and it was okay after that.

3. Consider the cost of renovations versus the cost of a home already in move-in condition. A) Can you live with the house as-is until renovations are done? B) Is your husband the type to say things will get renovated but never actually follows through? C) Can you afford to do the renovations that would need to be done? D) Would you have renovations done before moving in and putting the furniture down or are you okay with having to haul furniture out and redoing a room later? D) In the long run, would a home ready to move in without costly renovations be as cheap as or even cheaper then a fixer-upper?

I watch a lot of HGTV and can watch home improvement shows all day long. I've seen the ugliest houses turn into beautiful showpieces. Of course the people on the shows usually have a nice big budget to work with but at least improvements can be done if something is not initially to your liking. Even in the mobile home, new paint on the walls and new carpet has been a big improvement.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 03-04-2006 at 08:55 AM.

It's funny to see how one person's needs and wants vary from another.

We sold our home in December and have decided to rent for a while as we continue looking for a new house. Our criteria:

Absolutely no new construction...not there's much of that around here anyway.

Single story. We would like an Eichler style home built in the late 40's to 50's or a 1930's spanish style. We prefer no recent remodels on the home we buy other than electrical and plumbing system upgrades. It seems like everyone remodels with the same granite countertops, same tiles, same appliances around here and it's just not our style. We would rather do any remodelling on our own. Everyone here thinks they need to rush out and do the standard remodel before selling and we are tired of seeing the same kitchen and bath in every home we look at.

We can look past any cosmetic issues, but not structural.

2 bathrooms

Large backyard for the kids to play

A good walking neigborhood

We would like large bedrooms for the kids and want a family room. If there is no family room, then we want room to make an addition.

We also need space for my studio

Most of all, we would like to be able to afford the house we buy. Bay Area real estate is so expensive that I get sick thinking we are going to spend such a ridiculous amount. We made a 45% profit on our last house in just 3 years...and we felt that house was overpriced when we purchased it. Spending this kind of money just goes against my nature. We would really prefer to move away and buy a home worthy of its selling price up in Portland or thereabouts. But then we would miss that Bay Area. It's a no win situation.

Good Luck Gaby!

Here's an update:

We finally got a contract on our old house! If all goes as planned, it'll close next month. I should've buried St.Joseph in the backyard a little sooner.

Great news lildago. Hopefully all goes well! Keep St.Joseph in place for now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast