+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone sell a home recently? Advice needed

My house is on the market right now. We did pretty much everything that has been mentioned. We cleared clutter, packed away everything we don't need on a daily basis, and did some minor remodeling. Another thing I'd suggest is removing as many personal items as possible, especially family pictures on the walls. Clear off the front of your refrigerator even!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Ditto everything they all said. Keep it clean and take care of problems ahead of time.

When selling my house I had two bad agents and one good one (yes it took 102 days to sell my old house, the two idiots took up 90 days and the good one had it sold in 12 days) A good agent knows the market, so instead of just saying "well the house down the street sold for this so you should be able to get that too" they can look at the data and realise you can't sell a house with no a/c and an unfinished basement for the same price as a house with a/c and a finished basement. Frankly I think a good agent is positve about the house they are selling and are availible. The second bad agent only got the house because the first agent from her realtor agency goofed it up so bad, she clearly didn't want it and I should have fought tooth and nail to get out of the contract. She wasn't calling people back, I had one agent call me directly that she was trying to arrange a walkthrough but wasn't getting her calls return. I found out about one viewing about 20 minutes before it happened and my agent was acting like they had just called her about it. I ended up having to be there during the showing and the other agent called her the day before to try to arrange this.

The guy who did a good job for us, knew the area, knew what features sold in our little corner of the city. He came in and pointed out 2 things I needed to fix right away that our old agent stated didn't need to be (chimniney cracks and driveway cracks) He put together a great little booklet showing the rooms, discussing the neighborhood and it's location to schools and shopping. Pointing out the highlights of the house.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by Susan92645
    I've got a related question. What makes a good real estate agent? What qualities do you feel are most important? I am thinking of going into real estate and would love to know what all of you look for in an agent, to see if I possess these qualities!
    This isn't a quality, but a habit that a good agent should possess. Since buying and/or selling a house is one of the most stressful times of a person's life, the agent should return calls ASAP and, if possible, adjust their voicemail to indicate approximately what their schedule is for the day. When you're seriously stressed out, there is nothing worst than waiting, waiting, waiting to hear back from your agent. If you have an idea that the agent is tied up until a certain time you won't start freaking until that time arrives.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

A little off topic - but I have off white vinyl sheet flooring in my kitchen and the high traffic areas are yellowing. Any suggestions on how to brighten it up?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itravel94
    A little off topic - but I have off white vinyl sheet flooring in my kitchen and the high traffic areas are yellowing. Any suggestions on how to brighten it up?
    If it's yellowing from under the top coating--like the coloring is breaking down from sun exposure--likely you can't do anything about it. If it's just dirt/wear, Armstrong makes some products that will do a deep cleaning on vinyl & and you can polish it. Home Depot and the like carries them.

Back on topic--as to what makes a good real estate broker--ditto completely on the returning of calls. Also, keep in mind that while you may sell a house or more every week, most buyers do it only a few times in their lifetime. For first time buyers, tell them what to expect and what the steps are. My realtor was a really sweet lady & returned my calls quickly, but since I'd never bought a house before, gone to a mortgage company, dealt with inspectors, etc., I kept having to say, "So, what do I need to do next." She'd tell me, but it would have been nice to not have to constantly ask how things were going to happen. (Constantly having to ask her exacerbated the stress level, since I was closing on Dec. 28, 1999: Christmas time AND the Y2K insanity was going on.)

I have a question related to this topic. What should a realtor be doing to sell your home? Does he/she simply list it and put a sign in the yard? I'm not thrilled about the agent who's listing our home and I guess I'm wondering if he should be doing more for us.
    Last edited by lildago; 11-13-2005 at 12:00 PM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Ours had a really good virtual tour on the internet on his website.

A relared question: has anyone here sold their house themselves (by owner that is)? I'd like to hear from your experiences. Just about anything that comes to your mind about the whole process.

We are moving, in fact relocating in two months, and the way the market is here, we can not hope to get enough money for our house to cover all the repairs we have done already, much less if we would fix the house more. So, we are thinking about trying at least for the next month to sell the house on our own. That way we could go down to an even more attractive price for buyers (in other words if someone would even just assume our loan, that would be an offer good enough). Listing a realtor (and I am sorry to say this but they were all pretty much worthless when we were looking for a house ourselves) would mean that we could not go down on the price as much. This way we could maybe offer to make some additional repairs, but those would most certainly be very limited if a realtor would be involved. I wish the market here would be better, and houses would in fact appreciate instead of [almost] depreciate, but it is what it is, and there are lots of for-sale-by-owner signs up here.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 11-13-2005 at 01:42 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago
    I have a question related to this topic. What should a realtor be doing to sell your home? Does he/she simply list it and put a sign in the yard? I'm not thrilled about the agent who's listing our home and I guess I'm wondering if he should be doing more for us.
    I work in a real estate office, and it really varies on what realtors do for their clients. But, in my opinion a realtor should be doing more than just putting a sign in the yard. Advertising, open houses, and other marketing plans. Most of the agents in my office send out reports every month or so letting the client know where they have advertised their home, how many people have viewed it and the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago
    I learned about this the hard way. I listed my condo with one agent who didn't get a single visit in six months. He kept telling me that people were put off by the high homeowners' associations fees.

I took it off the market and rented it out for a year. I called him again this summer when the market had improved and he said I'd be lucky to break even, blah, blah, blah.

So I put it on craiglist, got an offer within two hours and pocketed a nice profit -- including what would have been that deadbeat's commission.

I suspect that he simply put the listing on his website and forgot about it. I'd definitely ask the agent exactly what he or she plans to do to sell the place, and get weekly status reports.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast