+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Landlord and tenant relationship

Landlord and tenant relationship

I started this thread because I had a question and I could not fit it in another thread.

It might be useful to rant/vent about our landlords/tenants or to discuss our relationship with them or, as in my case, ask for advice on how to deal with specific problems.

I bought a triplex last year and have two tenants living above me. Last year, the apartments were rented by two older couples who were childless and very quiet. This July, one couple moved out and a younger divorcee father of two moved in. The problem is this man (not so much the kids) is very noisy. I think it's because he walks with his shoes on. I decided to live with it, but yesterday, the other couple complained. My question is: should I tell this man to be a little less noisy and how should I go about it. Should I say the other couple complained (and risk some future fights between the two) or should I say it's because it wakes my baby up sometimes? Should I just keep quiet?

Thanks for any advice.

You could speak to him and inform him that sound travels well in the house and ask if there was a way he could possibly remove his shoes inside. First though I would suggest you tell the other couple to nicely inform him of the problem, he may be unaware of it. Generally the landlords want the tenants to try work it out themselves before becoming a middleman.

FORT Fanatic
    I would go with it "wakes your baby up" Just my opinion. If it was a big apartment complex, you could say there was some complaints from neighbors, but since its triplex, it doesn't give you much room.

I think you should just try talking to him. He probably doesn't realize how much noise he makes. He might be more receptive than you think. If confronting him face to face makes you uncomfortable, you could write it in a letter to him.

Or you could always hit the ceiling with the end of your broom handle like Mr. Heckles on "Friends".
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I would say talk to him about it .

I need some advice. My husband and I just moved into a house this summer and our land lord lives in back of us. Ok when we moved in part of the fence was missing, so he said that if we fixed the fence he would pay us back. Well two months later and no check. Should we wait and see? or should we resend him the reciepts?
    Shaybo
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

If you didn't get it in writing, you might be stuck. resend the receipts and if he doesn't respond within 2 weeks, ask him if he got them. If he says no, do it one more time and if there is nothing then, you may have to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    If you didn't get it in writing, you might be stuck. resend the receipts and if he doesn't respond within 2 weeks, ask him if he got them. If he says no, do it one more time and if there is nothing then, you may have to eat it.
    I have to agree with gabriel on this one, Shaybo. I've got loads of tenant/landlord experience from both sides of the fence. My past husband and I were both tenants, building owners, renters...the whole shebang. I got pretty savvy in my old age and learned through Judge Judy and the School of Hardknocks how to handle most common problems.

As gabriel said, resend the receipts with a nice letter, explaining that "in your previous conversation with _____ on (date) you had agreed to reimburse us for the missing fence section..." Since you've just moved in, you sure don't want to 'strong arm' your landlord and set up a host of future problems.

Desert Rose: I don't understand your description of the triplex. Is it stacked on top of one another, like a three flat? If so, than HOW can both you and the other tenant hear the foot clomping of Mr. Heavy Foot? Wouldn't the floor inbetween you block the sound? Maybe I don't understand the lay out of a triplex....
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll go talk to him and just hope he's understanding. I'll keep the broom for later...
    Lambikins, I live on the first floor and both apartments are on the second. So I hear the guy through the ceiling and the other couple hear him through the walls.

DesertRose, are you the landlord? I'd go talk to him yourself, and say he wakes up the baby. Just ask him nicely, he'll probably be understanding.

Shaybo, can you just dock the expense from your rent, and send the check (minus that amount) with a note explaining why?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Re: Landlord and tenant relationship

Being a landlord sucks sometimes. You want to be respected, but you don't want to cause more trouble. I mentionned in another thread about the new tenant downstairs who partied late and woke up the whole house until the wee hours of the morning. After the party we warned her that we saw people in our backyard and that nobody was allowed there.

I guess we should have been specific and added "nothing is allowed there either". For the past 3 weeks, they have used the side of the house to store a couch! What the heck? They never even asked. So my husband finally saw them on Friday and asked them what it was doing there. The boyfriend mentionned it was going on Sunday. Sunday has passed and is still there. My husband is tempted to just put it out on the curb, but I told him to warn them that they have 2 days to get rid of it or it will go in the trash. Also, in the future, anything else we find in our backyard that doesn't belong to them will be moved to the curb. I don't want to be a *itch, but they will make me. What happened to respecting people and their property?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast